[SRB2 Riders] Blue Mountain K

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chromatian

KartKrew™
Sonic Team Junior
Kart Krew™️
Since Blue Mountain Zone isn't making the cut for vanilla Srb2, I figured I'd make a Mario Kart version of it. (I also thought it would be a good idea to replace DK Cavern, since everyone hates it so much)

The beginning is slightly based off of the tiny bit of level from Blue Mountain Zone, but the rest I made up on my own.

One last note: Trying to cheat using the springs will only result in death so don't waste your time.

MIRROR: http://www.sendspace.com/file/xjii51

The map number is MAP22

UPDATE: Changed Quicksand to friction, and made the difference between road and off road more distinct.

Attachments

• srb20125.png
    srb20125.png
    290.2 KB · Views: 499
  • srb20126.png
    srb20126.png
    204.7 KB · Views: 454
  • srb20137.png
    srb20137.png
    211.3 KB · Views: 457
  • srb20138.png
    srb20138.png
    187.4 KB · Views: 422
  • K_Bluemountain.zip
    60.4 KB · Views: 472
Last edited:
It's rather hard to distinguish a difference between the raceway and the 'deep snow', as I found myself crashing to a halt on my first lap, and could barely move at all, having to hop my way out. This is generally a dick move.

The snowmen at the start of the level can be pushed around, which I'm going to go ahead and say is a bad thing due to that one dick player who'll willfully push them around to form a solid wall. Regardless, seeing as I ran into a snowman on my first lap, I don't know if you should remove them entirely or not. (It would be best to keep solid scenery off of the track)

The cavernous area to the immediate right of the finish line... kills me instantly.

The bridge at/near the end of the course is rather thin... unless I was entirely aware of its center point, I'd often fall off into the pit if I had happened to drift from the thin itembox/shortcut.

Solutions:

• I don't know what you should do with the snow flat/texture itself, however it'd be a good idea to make the track itself a distinguishable color. It's alright to have the snowgrass there to make it authentic, but you need some form of notable road to guide the player from checkpoint to checkpoint.
    `
  • Any sort of off-road area that slows the player as a penalty is surely encouraged, however bringing them to a complete HALT is a no-no. It would probably be a better idea than quicksand to use a friction linedef, with its length no longer than ~32.
    `
  • As I said above, it's probably a good idea to not use solid THING objects at all (let alone sector scenery) right at the edge of the course road where a player can ram into it and come to an abrupt halt. You could either make the snowmen transparent to the player with a small SOC, or create some sort of platform for them to sit on as decor.
    `

I wasn't entirely sure what would be enough scenery, and it was difficult to place any objects at all without them getting in the player's way.

I placed the quicksand instead of regular friction because drifting has a set speed and breaks pretty much anything that affects the player's speed. (Drifting with a star slows you down, etc...)

I wanted the bridge to act in a similar way to Yoshi's Canyon, making it hard to dodge any item that was placed there, but I'll make it a bit larger for easy access.

Anything that has a snow texture is the road, anything with white quicksand is going to slow you down, and the Ice texture in the cave with silver pillars will be slippery. Everything else does not affect the player. I wanted to use texture variation without it being too confusing.

The cavernous area that killed you is supposed to be the start of Vanilla Srb2's Blue Mountain zone, I'll put a get there instead.

I placed the quicksand instead of regular friction because drifting has a set speed and breaks pretty much anything that affects the player's speed. (Drifting with a star slows you down, etc...)

And... it still does, even through quicksand. Oh, it might be a tad slower, sure, but it's still a constant speed, and you're hurting non-drifters for it. I'm sure the whole drifting ordeal would be fixed in a future Riders version.

Also, the opening spiral-slope thing should probably be made to have shallower stairs. As they are, it would be solid wall to any shrunken players.

UPDATE: Changed Quicksand to friction, and made the difference between road and off road more distinct. Not going to mess with those stairs yet. (That's a lot of sectors D:)

It's a canceled level in Vanilla SRB2, so I thought I could use the name. I've changed the title to Blue Mountain K, but do I need to change the whole name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back