MD2 modeling help

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarioFreak2001

that one gal
Can I put this in here?

Anyway, I can't seem to model for the life of me, and I just ask myself, "How do they do it?" So, can I get some tips? Jeck Jims, Virt, iReremy, anybody?

I recommend you make md2 that doesn't exist, an example:
I'm making the badniks springs and objects, Jeck is doing the characters. Is that, you need to find what you wanna or should do in md2 (You can still make the models however you want, but that's how I see the things.)

Practice, Take some Tutorials on Blender, that's a tool i have been learning how to use myself, It's fun to use once you get used to the controls and interface, Start with basic shapes like Rocks, Doors ... etc

I meant how do you make your models look so good?
Is hard to explain for me. I hav modeling since 2011, in 2013 I made my first md2 (for personal use), but, these models looked not okay.
It wasn't until 2015 when I got some skills/tricks for animing and modeling (that I can't explain here, I should make a video for make you understand). I've a skype account, if you wanna some help, just contact me and we could have a private class (That'll not cost, I'm doing this just for be friendly <3).
By the ways! I just use misfit.

Last edited:
Me too! But I still can't figure out how to make such quality models...
Ufff. All the tricks that I know, you never will find in youtube xD.
Isn't magic! Is just 6 years of experience... But all these years of experience were useless for me, I model in another way that I never can thought.

---------- Post added at 05:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:00 PM ----------

But, I think that I can explain you with a video or something like that xD. Writed no make sense.

Last edited:
I don't model but honestly the same advice goes for all forms of art: just keep practicing. You have to acknowledge that your first few attempts won't be good ones, because everything comes with experience. But the only way to get experience is to keep working and learning. So you just have to work your way through the beginning phases until you gain enough experience that your work isn't novice-level anymore.

Have you ever looked at Jeck Jims' older work? It's not like he was always the SRB2 modeling god he is now. I do believe he started out with model ports like you did. But he consistently pumped out material, worked hard on it, and eventually got really really good at making his own models. No one just looks at this stuff and gets it; sometimes you gotta really keep at it for years. Good luck! :)

I don't model but honestly the same advice goes for all forms of art: just keep practicing. You have to acknowledge that your first few attempts won't be good ones, because everything comes with experience. But the only way to get experience is to keep working and learning. So you just have to work your way through the beginning phases until you gain enough experience that your work isn't novice-level anymore.

Have you ever looked at Jeck Jims' older work? It's not like he was always the SRB2 modeling god he is now. I do believe he started out with model ports like you did. But he consistently pumped out material, worked hard on it, and eventually got really really good at making his own models. No one just looks at this stuff and gets it; sometimes you gotta really keep at it for years. Good luck! :)
You're right. My first model was too bads, but I didn't upload them because I knew they were bad. Look my first uploads, was well quality because wasn't my first one model.

SRB2's requirements for MD2's are so specific and different that its super hard to explain them to someone if they don't understand modeling in general. Like stated above, I started out just as lost and confused as anybody. The best advice I could give is to study existing models, preferably simple ones that work. Some of my earliest works were simple edits of the Wizard Sonic model. I'd also suggest just attempting to straight up import existing simple models and trying to set them up for SRB2 as practice. Getting an understanding on how the formatting works, and what limits your working with, are two of the most important steps.

SRB2's requirements for MD2's are so specific and different that its super hard to explain them to someone if they don't understand modeling in general. Like stated above, I started out just as lost and confused as anybody. The best advice I could give is to study existing models, preferably simple ones that work. Some of my earliest works were simple edits of the Wizard Sonic model. I'd also suggest just attempting to straight up import existing simple models and trying to set them up for SRB2 as practice. Getting an understanding on how the formatting works, and what limits your working with, are two of the most important steps.

I already know this stuff. I just want to know how I could put a little quality into my custom models.

I already know this stuff. I just want to know how I could put a little quality into my custom models.
You don't just need to know modeling you also need to know texturing, make art with the models, optimize well the verts. And remember, the practice make the master :P. Learn use photoshop to make your own textures, because the models that srb2 accept can't be high poly and you could need to make them look great, and the textures are a good way :D.
by the ways, they're (my models) -4k verts.

There's really no advice, tip, or trick that's more valuable than practice. To do great things you have to practice doing them, and if there's something that can help you with that, you need to practice using that thing. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back