View Single Post
Old 07-01-2011   #18
fickleheart
ms reflec beat stan

Single Player:
Greenflower Sunset Zone by Fawfulfan - 7/10
This kind of relaxing experience is something I look for when playing SP. It had a good sense of progression, and the first time through, it flowed in a way that not only guided me to the end, but also guided me into the little goodies you placed around the level. It gave me a nice sense of reward.

However, I didn't like the music choice, and the damaging mud, while it works in the layout of the map, is unintuitive and should be replaced with something else. Also, the platform-hopping segment at the end needs a starpost at the beginning; if it already has one, it needs to be made more obvious.

Flower Cave Zone by Miles Knuckle Power - 2/10
You're kidding, right? I found two emerald pieces right next to each other, in the middle of giant falling boulder spam. The rest of the map was also unremarkable.

Sparkling Icecap by Thompson - 3/10
That gimmick with the falling icicles was stupid, unneeded, and only served to cause confusion and occasionally crush me under one. I also don't see how a spindash-jump would break ice when a regular jump wouldn't. The final nail in the coffin was the last part I played, where you were supposed to outrun the lava. In comparison to the slower nature of the rest of the map, it's unforgiving, cheap, and doesn't belong. I couldn't get past it. Sorry, but I couldn't enjoy this. At all.

Frozen Hillside Zone Act 1 by Blade - 10/10
I played this one as Sonic. I enjoyed the inventive gimmick with the heavy snow and the ice blocks. I enjoyed the enemies. I enjoyed how Eggman monitors were placed in cunning locations that actually trip people up.

I played it again as Sonic. I went and looked for alternate paths, taking my sweet time. I noticed my tendency to hit every Eggman monitor I came across.

I played it as Knuckles. I enjoyed finding the little things I couldn't reach as Sonic. I soaked in the scenery, and the custom textures that, even though they were just recolors of official textures, worked so well I didn't notice them at first.

I played it as Tails. I began to mourn the fact that every Speed Sneakers or Extra Life I found restarted the music. I loved it when the enemies were an actual threat to a flying player.

I can't say anything, really. Don't open this in DB again, please. Since I can't find "perfect" on the scale, I'll use the next best thing.

Stronghold Forest Zone Act 1 by KO.T.E - 7/10
I was quite impressed. The map flowed nicely, although I did find myself going backwards at the end, and the one time I experienced the bouncy floor gimmick, it was used in a nice, challenging way. It could have been introduced better, though, but apparently it is on another path. I wanted to see something done with those mushrooms, though. (Are they supposed to glow under like that? It creates a nice, eerie feel in the level.) Also, those buzzing crawla army chief things were unremarkable.

White Mountain Zone by Kuba11

Waterway Ruin Zone Act 1 by Chrome

Jadeflower Zone Act 3 by blahblahbal - 5/10
That was really short, and the volcano area looked really plain. It was ok, though, I guess. Not much to say here.

Match:
Ponies Suck FUCK YOU Zone by Fawfulfan - 3/10
The beauty of making a map like this is that I can't dislike the map, lest I be told I'm "just mad because your precious ponies are being insulted". That aside, the cramped quarters, the lazy item placement, the lack of decoration, and the REDWALL sky make this map impossible for me to enjoy. Also, go learn to draw ponies. That's a terrible Pinkie Pie you have there.

Flux Satellite Zone by 742mph - 2/10
It's an interesting concept, but the design doesn't do it justice. The symmetrical design means it's impossible to memorize item locations, and it's way too easy to get stuck on the outside edge of the map.

Southern Sands Zone by akb778 - 4/10
The map was open and flat. My game was fairly small at 4 players, but still, I literally did not find anyone through the entire round. However, consolidate the outside a bunch (and open up the cramped indoors sections) and I could give this map a couple of extra points.

Aries City Zone by EternallyAries Red X

Frozen Tundra Zone by Chaos Zero 64 - 4/10
For starters, random monitors. You have the wrong kind. There was also more than one of each panel, which detracts from the experience just a bit. Otherwise, though, I enjoyed the verticality of the layout. It's always nice to have something to keep Sonic players under control.

Capture the Flag:
Majestic Grove Zone by Scizor300 - 5/10
The 9-person netgame I held on this was quite fun, but it was impossible to play with any less. Therein lies this map's biggest flaw; it's too big. And when you do get enough players in it, the weapons are too far apart and it turns into a red ring fest! Such a shame; this map could be a lot better with a lot of trimming.

Mystical Heights Zone by Metal Fighter - 4/10
The choke point in the middle is really uncalled for, and the mess off to the sides is impossible to use properly and basically is pointless. However, due to that, the map as a whole is way too small for any decently-sized netgame.

White Pass Zone by Kuba11 - 6/10
This was a fairly enjoyable map. The various choke points makes it possible to defend, but not too hard to get in, and the rest was quite enjoyable as well. The singular path between bases would usually bug me, but it was open enough here to work. You might wanna do something about that grenade room, though; it's way too easy to camp in there.

Sylvan Shrines Zone by Spherallic - 5/10
The complete lack of any way between the bases for flag runners outside of that wide open bridge is a shame, but it doesn't really detract from the map that much. The huge bases make it easy to hide away, and one would probably make a good Match map; a good start to one, anyway. Also, the source of the waterfalls right by the flag alcove is a great place to hide. Too good, in fact; once I showed it to Blade, we had no problem hiding the flag in a netgame.

Race:
Croissant Mountain Zone by D00D64 - 8/10
I really enjoyed this concept. The map is well-balanced for each character, something I don't usually see. Your platforming is a bit unforgiving at the beginning, though.

Frozen Hall Zone by Metal Fighter - 4/10
I'm not really sure what to say. The map wasn't broken in any way, but there was one point where I ran around in circles a couple times with no clue where to go. The rest of the map was also fairly boring to me. I know it's supposed to be solely based on how the map plays, but a bit of decoration to distinguish the rooms really makes the difference in a Circuit map, same as any other gametype. It gives a sense of making progress in the map, which I didn't feel.

-----------

Spoiler: Have a quote from one of our netgames in MGZ
Quote:
<Mr. Westen> sciz let me show you the problem point
Mr. Westen switched to the red team
Illegal color change received from Mr. Westen (team: 1, color: 10)
Got unknown net command [14]=107 (max 22)
Mr. Westen has been kicked (Consistency failure)

Last edited by fickleheart; 07-14-2011 at 04:56 AM. Reason: #srb2pony wanted me to finish voting on SP and CTF, so I finished voting on Match and Circuit!