Official Level Design Contest: November/December 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every switch indeed does something. However, two switches contribute to the same area, which might give the illusion of a lack of change. Specifically, one switch changed the straight stretch into being craggy, but didn't remove the water. The other switch removed water in both of the beach sections, but only put in the lava on the first beach section. :X

Also, I don't exactly blame Glaber. You won't find any switches if you can't find the first one...

...Alrighty. I decided to turn around and submit a water level I was working on to see what you guys think of it. I wasn't going to originally, but I thought that I should enter for the heck of it. I'm nearly done, I just have to find out how I am going to finish the final area. No promises, though.

I hope there's a good bunch of single player levels to try. Then again, that means I'll have a smaller chance of winning...but I don't care. I'd rather there be loads of good levels in the contest than having there be so many crappy levels mine is the best.

I just hope there will be a good bunch of servers hosting the multiplayer pack this time. I'm tired of not being able to find them when I look for them.

And if you say "host it you're self" then provide a way to host through a fire wall I have no idea how to take down.

Water switch and sky switch are the culprits, Kroze. I say the water switch didn't alter gameplay because there was no challenge or new platforming, but it just made one part that's normally ridiculously tedious (the spring linking gimmick) and killed it. It also killed the balance of detail at that point; it wasn't ugly per se, but I hated how it looked noticeably worse after you pressed the water switch.

After that water switch, what do you do next? I couldn't find what else to do after that.

If you're talking about the switch I think you're talking about, that wasn't the intended result. It just happened that way, and Kroze said "Don't fix it."

Also, on a side note, the raised water level makes it insanely easy to waterskip over to the next switch.

I may have worded it wrong. The spring linking gimmick would often result in me getting off the computer, going up to the fridge and getting a string cheese, and then coming back down to eat it while I waited for Sonic to reach the teleporter. The water switch fixed that by pushing the teleporter to the floor.

That gimmick should never have to be that long.

I hope you guys like Teleports in Match. E-A has about 6 so far. And I added a Sky arena. So that makes Grass, Fire, Ice, and Sky. I'll send it in once I fix it up a bit.

SRB2WikiSonicMaster said:
It also killed the balance of detail at that point; it wasn't ugly per se, but I hated how it looked noticeably worse after you pressed the water switch.

I don't think you quite understood the whole point of the buttons...
With each button you pressed, you destroyed a bit of the level as you did so, pretty much making you do more damage then anything Eggman had done there.

And you didn't need to take the spring gimmick, its there if you want to take it all the way over to the other side of the map without needing to work to get to it but you could just bypass it.

How was I supposed to know that beforehand? *opens up SLumped*
All I found was this:

"If there’s a remedy
A break from all my vanity
Then I’m gonna need Your help
If there is hope for me
Pull me down to my knees
Where I’m begging for Your help
To let go"

That doesn't sound like a level that is about to be destroyed to me. Then again, is that quote a reference to something? Don't laugh at me if it's from a popular game; there are a lot I haven't played.

The level didn't feel like it was getting destroyed, either. Most aesthetic differences ended up helping the level look prettier except for that example I gave you and the floodlight. I have no idea what the floodlight looks like in OpenGL, but it just doesn't look right in Software mode.

Uhh...

*Looks at BZ4*

Did you put those lyrics or whatever they are there?

And what floodlight are you talking about?

Well, I'll tell you this, BZ4: If you release FFZ2 without the switchhunt, I will complain. The knowledge that a great gimmick had to be cut out of the level is not going to totally go over well. With what I saw, the switchhunt may have ended up being the only thing that would challenge my coordination skills.

FFZ2 will lack the switchhunt only if I don't finish that part in time. I'm more concerned with the bulk of the level than the extras, so it'll be more of an exercise in priorities than deadlines. I do intend to include the switchhunt, it just might not be ready for the contest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back