SRB2 2.1.15 killed my FPS.

DrStephen

My PhD is made out of foam.
Judge
Well, basically what happened is that playing either in srb2win.exe or srb2dd.exe have really, really low FPS. I don't know exactly why, playing in any other versions of the game have 35 FPS locked, but playing on 2.1.15 gives me terrible FPS, around 10-20 FPS, and in Special Stages, I get LESS than 10 fps, making them pretty much unplayable.

I've noticed that changing the resolution does help, but I've always played in 1280x720 with NO problems at all. Is there any way to fix this? It's really putting me off from playing the game.

Had this problem.

Can be fixed by lowering to the option below it.

You wont get the same size but it'll run smoothly

Check cpusleep in the console. If it's anything other than -1 or 0, try lowering it.

Try turning off "Clear Before Redraw" in video options. I'm seeing similar issues in 2.1.15 that I Wasn't seeing in 2.1.14.

Both of these didn't work AT ALL for me, though. Is there any other way to fix this?

Try turning off "Clear Before Redraw" in video options. I'm seeing similar issues in 2.1.15 that I Wasn't seeing in 2.1.14.

I highly doubt this was ever the problem.

If a single memcpy is slowing your game down, then you have much worse problems than the fragment of code that simply clears the screen.

犬夜叉;779707 said:
I highly doubt this was ever the problem.

If a single memcpy is slowing your game down, then you have much worse problems than the fragment of code that simply clears the screen.

fY635mq.gif

[16:25:41] <+Alam_Squeeze> ahhh, no optimised was done in the release build
[16:25:43] <+Alam_Squeeze> WHY?

... well, that explains why memcpy is slower specifically for the release build. With optimizations on memcpy takes almost no time to complete, and every build I've compiled with it has had them on. But somehow the wrong flag was set for the 2.1.15 release, and compiler optimization was disabled instead.

A lot of stuff in the game abuses the fact that memcpy is faster (like, to the point of being near instantaneous) than writing byte by byte. It turns out homremoval is the most immediately noticable and easiest to disable, so it turns into the scapegoat.

Last edited:
I'd like to add that what the devs suggested work with sofware but i didnt test opengl

I um, ARE using Software mode.
I'm not using OpenGL.

And I've tried doing what FuriousFox did, but there's absolutely NO difference in FPS. In fact, it gets even WORSE by changing it.

犬夜叉;779710 said:
It turns out homremoval is the most immediately noticable and easiest to disable, so it turns into the scapegoat.

2.0.5 all over again? =V Or was that a different issue, it's been so long now, lol.

Well, basically what happened is that playing either in srb2win.exe or srb2dd.exe have really, really low FPS. I don't know exactly why, playing in any other versions of the game have 35 FPS locked, but playing on 2.1.15 gives me terrible FPS, around 10-20 FPS, and in Special Stages, I get LESS than 10 fps, making them pretty much unplayable.

I've noticed that changing the resolution does help, but I've always played in 1280x720 with NO problems at all. Is there any way to fix this? It's really putting me off from playing the game.

It comes to my attention that it seems every time a new version of Sonic Robo Blast 2 comes out. It seems to raise the required specs to play this. What is your current computer specs zero? It might be helpful to know if it's your computer or not. Also, from what I've seen you need to mess with the video settings for a bit and see if something could be tweak to your liking while keeping the FPS 35/35 stable. Also a recommended resolution if you can handle it that is, is 640x400 while playing in window mode. I use this resolution back when I was stuck with a integrated GPU card.

Also from my testing, Your FPS might not drop if you set your Draw Distance to infinite and Nights Draw Distance to infinite. Precip draw distant should be lowered down to 256 since it helps keep the FPS stable entirely also put the precip density to light as well which is a very good idea for those rainy stages. Clear Before Redraw seems to be an iffy thing for some users. Some users will notice performance increase while others will have lower FPS due to it even being on. I recommend you turn off Clear Before Redraw to see if this helps you out. Also turn off Vertical Sync as well.

Also if software is having low FPS, try out OpenGL, it might help raise your FPS.

Temporary fix, but this should help: http://lightdash.org/SRB2/misc/srb2git.exe

This is just a build compiled off the master branch with optimizations. It's netgame compatible with 2.1.15 as well, so don't worry about using it online.

Last edited:
Reply by CalebM

I feel sorry about you, "Temmie."*
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Don't ask me about Undertale.

Also from my testing, Your FPS might not drop if you set your Draw Distance to infinite and Nights Draw Distance to infinite. Precip draw distant should be lowered down to 256 since it helps keep the FPS stable entirely also put the precip density to light as well which is a very good idea for those rainy stages. Clear Before Redraw seems to be an iffy thing for some users. Some users will notice performance increase while others will have lower FPS due to it even being on. I recommend you turn off Clear Before Redraw to see if this helps you out. Also turn off Vertical Sync as well.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on that.

I tested that before, and it turns out raising the draw distance makes the framerate worse. This is probably because raising the DD allows you to render more sprites on screen, and in some maps, that can cause a lot of lag. It's even worse in Nights.

I'd recommend setting the Draw Distance to 2048 and the Nights Draw Distance to 748.

Last edited:
Temporary fix, but this should help: https://dl.dropbox.com/s/gk99a3yuyu3dgyr/srb2win.exe?dl=0

This is just a build compiled off the master branch with optimizations. It's netgame compatible with 2.1.15 as well, so don't worry about using it online.

Tried it out, and it does work a bit. I still get sudden FPS drops, but they're not SO annoying.
Tried out the Special Stages and they're now playable. Thank you Wolfy.

Tested on multiple development team members' hardware (including mine just now with the laggiest map I've played in default 2.1.15 so far - Thokker 1.1.0's Petroleum Refinery). SRB2's performance is back up to full 35's in general. If you got those lag spikes in 2.1.14, then I guess we can say this is completely resolved.

If you DIDN'T have those lag spikes in .14, though, then please provide more detailed information to help us figure out what might be causing them.

Well... I don't really have tons of information on the FPS drops. They pretty much happens when I'm looking at specific parts of any map.
I just took some pics from the specific parts I'm talking about.
The most notable section with the worse FPS is clearly THZ act 2.
XvtIzTrZXnT06Tm-GYPC9jYCxhIS_IChSNpiRGnB4g_6EkM0MF82mAzIh3ltvtDWTvQiPHTNNA=w1366-h768-rw-no

BdID616cohpgZ2wKdXouSh7M3X3OBcLjVovt-tRQD45cQf5t0ZZ5uiQVsyfQNV5QggTlaGcJvQ=w1366-h768-rw-no

DVbc0qhFBNp8mzVbQ1KziOAdqY5iTtnZowpXyJIFs411ybPlfWc7RlHeKYZRim0Mr7Y-ImR5Cw=w1366-h768-rw-no

WwXPhmo0MFhgQZeGf1uBZr8EuMUBUvO0FONDJBfJd-x1j6uqtxlZtQM8X5Xnw9C6_GiUUG-fYA=w1366-h768-rw-no

These four parts of the map have these sudden drops of FPS.
I also still have sudden FPS drops during Special Stages, but they're pretty much managable.
I also have Clear Before Redraw off and VSync on.

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back