SRB2's picking up news coverage... again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
there isn't much difference between strafing and analog left/right with the exception of where you're facing in relation to the camera.

Analog left/right moves in a large circle around the camera's current center-point. It's a lot different from just strafing, which also gives you aerial control, the Achilles heel of Analog mode.

That being said, having the camera put a primary focus on staying behind Sonic would make it a lot less painful. A camera reset button would help immensely as well.

Analog left/right moves in a large circle around the camera's current center-point. It's a lot different from just strafing, which also gives you aerial control, the Achilles heel of Analog mode.

That is because the camera sucks, not the function of moving left to right. I don't know how many times I have to say this. (and AFAIK there is minimal difference in ability to air strafe)

All you'd need in order to make analog work is to make the camera fixed and give the player a better way to control the camera. For mouse and keyboard, mouse movement could control the camera panning, and for joystick the shoulder buttons could move the camera. This isn't hard to blueprint, it just needs to be programmed.

People know how to play Sonic. The real problem, I think, is that we don't have proper analog control support, buuut we've been over that.
I'd like to note that I think our lack of decent traditional 3D platformer controls is just ONE of our problems. We have a lot of problems in the teaching department. It's very rare that someone comes here, picks up the game and instantly gets what we're up to. Even worse, people often get some of what's going on but miss something else that's super important, like strafing or the need to press the opposite direction to slow down. This makes the game controls feel way worse than they are because the player doesn't realize they're supposed to be using mechanic X to handle something, which makes the game way more difficult and frustrating.

We're not saying that putting in a tutorial would fix all of our problems. Making a proper traditional control scheme that doesn't suck would be a great boon as well. There's just no one size fits all approach to this issue, and we're going to need to change a lot of things to even put a dent in this issue.

Last edited:
Seems like there is a lot that needs to be changed to fully fix the issue, then. From analog camera controls to strafing, there are a lot that new players may not know and end up not liking the game for that. I'm all for an optional tutorial level to be honest. I feel like it would help anyone who doesn't seem to understand the game when they first pick it up.

But they didn't play it using analog mode at all during that video, pretty sure they'd be more comfortable with it if they did.

But they didn't play it using analog mode at all during that video, pretty sure they'd be more comfortable with it if they did.

Oh, it was just the play demo, my mistake. I just finished watching their video now and it was a lot better than their first one I'll admit, but their playthrough still makes SRB2 look very clunky with them playing with a controller.

They did not know how to spin, not once did I see them use the spindash.

I'm not even sure whether tank controls on a gamepad are better or worse than analog mode controls. They're probably worse, lmao.

Haven't watched the video, but it doesn't feel that bad mapping strafe and move forward/back to the left stick, and turn keys to the right stick or bumpers. Doing that makes it not too far from SA, except you always face camera direction

Mapping move forward/back and turn keys to the same analog stick sounds like an absolute nightmare though

Last edited:
SRB2 could benefit from a "How to play" Screen (similar to those from arcade games) showing abilities of Selected character before Starting first level of Campaign as well as buttons Pressed to perform them, With this, Players can see exactly how each character works with demo Screenshots or Pics.

kinda like this :

135898-metal-slug-4-neo-geo-screenshot-how-to-play-screen-reviewing.png

Also reduce default Mouse sensitivity, wtf :v

Last edited:
You know you can manually adjust the mouse sensitivity right?

That said, the bigger problem here is us not making the game controller friendly. I'm just not sure how to do this.

That said, the bigger problem here is us not making the game controller friendly. I'm just not sure how to do this.

Would it be a good idea to make it so that SRB2 defaults to analog mode if it detects you are playing with a joystick? Sure it's not really the optimal way to play, but for new players (coughIGNcough) it's probably at least slightly more intuitive for their first time playing. I don't think there's really any point in changing anything else to make it "controller friendly"; SRB2 is difficult to pick up regardless of which control schemes or layouts you start with.

I still think that having the whole first-time setup for when people start the game where you select your control style is a good idea, giving a brief overview of both analog and tank controls telling the player "Hey, tank controls are the more advanced control scheme and they work better for shooter modes but if you wanna jump right in with traditional platformer style controls use analog. You can change this in the options menu under 'control options' at any time" or something like that.

You know you can manually adjust the mouse sensitivity right?

That's not really a good reason to not change it, honestly. If anything, that option makes me on board with changing it; you can tell everyone who likes ludicrous speed the same thing, and you would get the benefit of not turning off everyone else who lightly grazes the mouse.

If you can, direct me towards a video where the mouse sensitivity does not make the game look or feel weird to the player. I couldn't find one myself. If anything, I left a comment to one saying "you should try changing the mouse sensitivity, the default is a nightmare", and they replied with "it didn't occur that you could change that".

Of course this is far from the biggest thing to worry about in terms of controls, but it's just a one line code change. I'm betting most of the time to take changing this would be spent looking for the line, so if there's a disadvantage to doing this then I'm not seeing it.

As in, you don't know how to go about coding it, or you don't know how to handle it conceptually? If the latter, just look at pretty much any 3rd person action game ever.

I think the only real failings of analog mode right now are the lack of axis sensitivity and the static camera rotation. Even when you map left/right camera rotation separate buttons, they only function so long as the player isn't in motion- run too fast and the camera locks up. Polyobject movement cancels out camera rotation entirely. Maybe multiply the strength of the rotation relative to the player's velocity?

IGN Playing through SRB2, Again...

This was apparently posted at 7th of March, They took a quicklook at it before but this time it's longer.

"Tails the Hedgehog" Heh..

Link for the video.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back