Version 2.1.17 Release

Status
Not open for further replies.
For some reason, I'm having huge problems with SRB2Win... It just sits there in the background, never showing up, no matter what I do. SRB2DD works sometimes, but I can't go online, as you said, so... I don't know what to do. I got it working last night, but today, it no longer works.

EDIT: turns out it was AVG's fault, the second I added it to the exceptions list, it started working.

Huh, curious, my AVG did something similar when I tried to run 2.1.17's srb2win.exe for the first time too, though at least it told me it detected something it thought was strange. Added it to exceptions list and all was fine. srb2dd.exe doesn't seem to set off AVG oddly enough, wonder why?

Definitely will not happen. DD is a pain to maintain and 2.2 is the perfect time to drop it completely.

Netgames being turned off in that build are a way to get more information about bugs and performance issues in SDL2 (srb2win) before that happens by forcing as many people as possible to use it, in addition to that being part of figuring out what was wrong with netgames in earlier versions.

If a 2.1.18 ever happens, maybe there should be a note in the multiplayer tab when a player tries to play online where it directs the player to run SRB2.exe instead of SRB2dd.exe, if it doesn't do so already.
(I don't use Direct Draw)

Huh, curious, my AVG did something similar when I tried to run 2.1.17's srb2win.exe for the first time too, though at least it told me it detected something it thought was strange. Added it to exceptions list and all was fine. srb2dd.exe doesn't seem to set off AVG oddly enough, wonder why?

Well, i don't even use AVG, i use Kaspersky. So i never encountered this problem, AVG's Security is more tight than Kaspersky. Kaspersky only warns you of malwares that are in files.

I'd hesitate to use the word "tight" for AVG in this scenario. "Spastic" is a better term. I've had significantly better success with Kaspersky than I have ever had with AVG.

You have an important point about words that have different cultural baggage in different parts of society united by a common language (and right now, borderline-fascistically shooting themselves in the foot), but it's mired in your phrasing and the-dude-doth-protest-too-much denial of derailment.

On the note of the update itself - I'm pretty excited that there was a fix for these issues in my lifetime. I had a few neat netgames yesterday playing like the heyday of Final Demo. It's a shame Coop and Match themselves are pretty crappy design experiences, but it was still fun playing with others.

>Spastic
Oops.

Not oops. I meant the exact words I used.

Also noteworthy, we do not have a curse filter in here, nor rules against those words. Even if I did live in the UK, that would still have been within the rules for me to post.

Do not word police. It is a form of backseat moderation. If you have a problem with something like this, you PM a moderator or an administrator.

Please excuse my french but...
SAINT DE MURDE!

You guys have officially become wizards of programming at this point. You guys are almost at the level of the original Doom devs, if not equal.
Just... how?! How did you guys manage to stablize the netcode? This is quite literally like finding a needle in a haystack!

I leave the SRB2 community because I got bored, (and because I didn't have access to a computer running Windows,) then I come back and you guys have fixed the single most glaring issue I had with the game! What am I supposed to jokingly mock about the game now?

In all seriousness though, congratulations. A major issue that spanned literal years is fixed and I am amazed. The next most visable and glaring issue is the lack of quality in the title screen and some of the music, although those are comparatively easy to fix. I hope to continue to support SRB2 and all it's developers.

Oh yeah, also #2.2hypeisreal.

Last edited:
To be fair the quality of the level design here beats the Original Doom 2 levels design (I mean hell, that game levels were the most boring out of every Doom game), Just my two cents.

To be fair the quality of the level design here beats the Original Doom 2 levels design (I mean hell, that game levels were the most boring out of every Doom game), Just my two cents.
Aw man, you broke my Doom Childhood. But SRB2 2.1.17 is still good.

The First Doom game was alright, and so is the new Doom, but Doom 2 ? Meh, even it's city levels didn't look like "cities".

Question. It is not related to the update but I just wanted to ask this. In the game how could you get from a volcano to outer space?
While I don't know how Sonic, Tails and Knuckles canonically go to outer space, I do know the game is missing RVZ acts 2 and 3, and there have at least been plans for a "Dark City Zone" and "Grand Eggship Zone" to go between RVZ and ERZ (I believe). The missing levels might involve stuff related to how they go to space.

Or if you want an answer that fits the current version of Sonic Robo Blast 2, the volcano probably erupted so hard Sonic and company were flung into space, which we just don't see due to there not being cutscenes. But this isn't confirmed to actually be the case yet.
Edit: A developer has now said they got from a volcano to outer space "very carefully", which doesn't fit this explanation about being shot out of a volcano, so this theory can thus be dismissed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back