OpenGL Black Screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoLucario87

Now known as Cyclone
May i get some help? when SRB2 was around 2.1.16 (or .15, can't remember correctly), i used OGL a lot for MD2s, however, when SRB2 got updated to 2.1.17, OGL just shows a Black Screen, moreover SRB2 still runs (AKA Music still plays, i can select SinglePlayer on the title screen, pretty much do everything except see.), anyone knows why this happens and how can i fix it?
Note: i don't use the Direct Draw one.

Does this mean you're on 2.1.19 and you've having these issues since 2.1.17, or have you not updated to 2.1.19 yet to check if they're there still?

Does this mean you're on 2.1.19 and you've having these issues since 2.1.17, or have you not updated to 2.1.19 yet to check if they're there still?

the first one, i'm still on .19 and i had the issues in .17 (still having them, haven't found how to fix it)

Could you try booting up the DirectDraw (srb2dd) version in OpenGL and seeing if that will work? It's possible you might have been using that in 2.1.15/-16, and then switched to the SDL (srb2win) version in 2.1.17, while OpenGL might only work for you in the former.

Also, could you maybe try downloading the installer for version 2.1.15 ([LINK]), installing it to a new folder (not one you had SRB2 in previously), and seeing if you can run that version in OpenGL now? (Preferably, you should test that for both the DirectDraw and SDL versions.)

I just tried using DirectDraw (.19), it shows a White screen instead, after i downloaded .15 the same problem seems to be happening, tried running both DD and Win but apparently DD just gives me the error "couldn't load 'r_opengl.dll'.

Oh right, what version of Windows do you use?

If you're using 8/8.1 or perhaps 10, maybe turning on the compatibility layer for Windows 7 will do the trick?

Try updating your video drivers, but it is a good idea to make a restore point before you do just in case something goes wrong during the video driver update.

Oh right, what version of Windows do you use?

If you're using 8/8.1 or perhaps 10, maybe turning on the compatibility layer for Windows 7 will do the trick?

I'm using Windows 7, maybe that's the problem?

Try updating your video drivers, but it is a good idea to make a restore point before you do just in case something goes wrong during the video driver update.

Alright, i'll try that, i'll post again if it fixes it or not.

Alright, Turns out: it was the Resolution, i have no idea what resolution OGL set it to, but i'm glad it's fixed, Help here was still appreciated though.

EDIT: Sorry, i meant Video Mode, i got confused.

EDIT2: if anyone could help me reduce the massive lag it would help.

Last edited:
Video mode is your resolution, so you're not wrong!

Typically the lower your resolution, the better your performance, so that might help clear up some lag. You can also reduce your draw distance in the video settings menu somewhere. The most likely case however is that OpenGL just doesn't run as smoothly on your computer; Software and OpenGL use different parts of your CPU and GPU drives and for different purposes, so sometimes one renderer is better suited to a specific computer than another.

If it's the resolution that caused your problems, it may be useful for us to know which ones were causing your problems before, in case we can do something about them.

The resolutions i seemed to have the black screen problem are 1920X1200, 1440X900, 1920X1080, 1280X1024, 1680X1050, 1280X960, 1600X1200, 1280X800, 1600X900, 1280X720, 1366X768, and 1152X864.

Note that when i select any of those, the game seems to freeze at the last frame it was before the option was selected.

It sounds like your graphics card doesn't support textures above 1024px wide, at least as render targets. Does the same issue happen in software mode? What's the exact model of your graphics card (or integrated graphics)?

Software is fine, i have it at 1280X800 resolution and it runs perfectly fine, for the Graphics card, i haven't checked, i'll check later.

- for the Graphics card, i haven't checked, i'll check later.
For when you're going to check, one of the ways you can check it (and be sure to get all the correct things) is to open the Device Manager (which can be found in the Control Panel), expand the "Display Adapters" list/group, and let us know the exact names of all items in the list/group.
For computers with multiple GPUs, it's sometimes a little tricky making sure you get all the GPUs rather than just one. This way makes sure you get the names of all GPUs the computer has if it has more than one.

Alright, just did that, the only thing the list says is "Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.1".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back