Yet Another 2.1 Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like there needs to just be one harder enemy that would be introduced later in GFZ, whether it be the second half of act 1 or act 2 itself. By then the player would have a grip on how to at least move correctly.

Wait how did the topic even get to this again?

Personally, I don't really care about 2.1 excluding Red Crawlas. They can be easily SOCed if someone really wants Red Crawlas in their .wad.
I should mention that after the release of 2.1, SOCing will be pretty much useless due to the addition of Lua scripting. The SOCedit exe will be removed as well, (this is what SpiritCrusher told me on IRC) so unless someone has a good memory of SOC scripting, (then again, SOC syntax may still be documented on the wiki. Might, anyway) or is willing to learn how to make Lua scripts in SRB2, there'd be no way to make red crawlas.

Comparing Lua to SOC is comparing apples to oranges. They are used for different purposes, although there is some overlap in functionality.

SOCEdit is being removed partly because it's old and broken, and nobody cares to maintain it because it's written in Visual Basic (I think?); and partly because it's a lot less necessary when you can write out things like OBJECT MT_REDCRAWLA instead of having to use numbers and only numbers everywhere.

so unless someone has a good memory of SOC scripting, (then again, SOC syntax may still be documented on the wiki. Might, anyway) or is willing to learn how to make Lua scripts in SRB2, there'd be no way to make red crawlas.
You're making it sound like creating a custom object in Lua is inherently different (or more difficult) than doing the same in SOC. It's not. The syntax of defining the object properties is a bit different, but it's fundamentally the same. Some of the more complex stuff in Lua (like writing custom actions) will require coding knowledge, but I see no reason why defining a custom object would be more difficult in Lua than in SOC.

Also, there's no point in removing information that's already there, so yes, SOC will still be documented on the wiki.

犬夜叉;738153 said:
Comparing Lua to SOC is comparing apples to oranges. They are used for different purposes, although there is some overlap in functionality.
Well, obviously there's no point in writing level headers or cutscenes or things like that in Lua, but as far as I'm informed, everything object-related that can be done in SOC can be done in Lua as well.

犬夜叉;738153 said:
SOCEdit is being removed partly because it's old and broken, and nobody cares to maintain it because it's written in Visual Basic (I think?)
Yes, and a more than decade-old version of Visual Basic at that. The latest Visual Studio is even capable of converting it anymore.

犬夜叉;738153 said:
To me, it'd be more like comparing a hand to a hammer. Lua can be used for the same purposes as SOC editing, as well as many more, (In fact, Only thing I heard it can't do so far is make a minimap HUD, like in SRB2 Riders) though SOC editing is a bit easier

As for SpiritCrusher, I think the main problem would be that Lua and SOC editing syntax were built for different reasons. SOC editing was made for simplicity and convenience, but Lua is designed for lightweight code. While it's not really hard to write either once you know it, learning it is the main problem. Lua isn't as easy to understand as SOC editing is, which is what I'm getting at.

Though I guess that my point for Larztard's post (which was that it'd be inconvenient to make a red crawla) is pretty much useless, anyway. =P

In fact, Only thing I heard it can't do so far is make a minimap HUD, like in SRB2 Riders
There are other things it can't (yet) do, such as custom unlockables and probably a whole bunch of other stuff I don't know about, but when it comes to objects and everything that has to do with that, it can do everything SOC can and more.

SOC editing was made for simplicity and convenience, but Lua is designed for lightweight code.
What do you mean by "lightweight code"?

While it's not really hard to write either once you know it, learning it is the main problem. Lua isn't as easy to understand as SOC editing is, which is what I'm getting at.
This is true of the stuff that you can't even do with SOC. You'll need to learn how that works, and some of it will be more complicated than simply listing a few settings. But the stuff that you can already do with SOC is virtually the same, only with slightly different syntax. If you know SOC, you'll adapt in no time.

What do you mean by "lightweight code"?
Not exactly sure about it myself, (I haven't actually studied Lua as much as other languages, to be honest) but I'm pretty sure that means either:

1. it's meant to use less syntax
2. the way the syntax/internal code is written uses fewer bytes

Though I'm guessing it's both.
This is true of the stuff that you can't even do with SOC. You'll need to learn how that works, and some of it will be more complicated than simply listing a few settings. But the stuff that you can already do with SOC is virtually the same, only with slightly different syntax. If you know SOC, you'll adapt in no time.
Well, if it's simple enough that only a few syntax commands need to be swapped around, then I guess it's not that bad.

In any case, people would still try to pseudo-SOC edit with Lua to some extent.

I just thought of this while playing with tunes. Give me a simple answer.

Is there any change in music?

I myself would actually prefer no change in the music of the game, simply because I've been playing for so long that the tunes have a serious nostalgic element to me.

I myself would actually prefer no change in the music of the game, simply because I've been playing for so long that the tunes have a serious nostalgic element to me.

Very, very fair point. I hereby revoke my suggestion, save for the very few that are dying. (speed shoes, acz2, credits music)

I guess the musics could get a little better, but not change it drastically so that it still keeps that "nostalgic element".

Nostalgia is stupid. Listen to things like Green Flower Zone 1 and Super Theme. They're just outdated and badly composed by current standards, not to mention the instruments are also terrible in places sometimes for a Sonic game. Really, is the first map of the game using... a clarinet?

I don't see what's so bad with the majority of music in the game. There are some exceptions. (Blue Mountain omg) But overall I don't see much wrong. Only things I'd want out are the SRB1 soundtrack ones and Dark City's themes. Just ow...

Seeing the music change would just... ruin it a bit.

Remastering it though? Well, that would be epic. I remember seeing this one video on Youtube of remastered GFZ1, and wow, it sounded awesome, yet nostalgic at the same time. You could aim for that maybe?

Oh man, don't touch Dark city's track! I always considered it as one of the most mysterious themes in the game, having it's unusual charm. A slight remix should be interesting, though.
When it comes to rest of the tracks, I don't suppose anything needs changing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back