attachment.php

Attachments

• srb20007.gif
    srb20007.gif
    3.7 MB · Views: 3,939
  • fall_damage.zip
    69.3 KB · Views: 757
Last edited:
Everything here's good to go, welcome to releases!

I think it would become a little more realistic if you lose a certain amount of rings equivalent to 16 + MOMZ (16 - MOMZ while gravflipped). And, if the total is negative, you start taking ring damage. You can potentially lose all your rings this way, but that's the most you CAN lose, anyway. As always, fall damage with no rings = death.

At this point Bubsy would make the perfect joke wad.

Good luck importing all that wonderful voice acting into a single wad, and selecting from it randomly now and then. Imagine him on a networked game, on a large server, voices everywhere!

Back on-topic here, the reason why I suggested this works off of MOMZ, is because of ceiling springs and their potential to throw you hard against the ground. Now if only Water slowed you down upon entering it, it would mitigate the fall damage a little...

Normal Gravity

Half Gravity

This is not how physics work

(Also to add on the Bubsy topic here, having fall damage on a joke wad would only work if you base it off the 2D games because Bubsy 3D does not have fall damage, despite having a (unused) death cutscene for it)

This is not how physics work
Well, the opening post mentions "falldmgtimer <tics>" as a variable, which implies fall damage is done based on how many tics you've been in the air, not your vertical speed when landing. So yeah, that pretty much is how physics work. With less gravity, you're in the air for longer, so...

Well, the opening post mentions "falldmgtimer <tics>" as a variable, which implies fall damage is done based on how many tics you've been in the air, not your vertical speed when landing. So yeah, that pretty much is how physics work. With less gravity, you're in the air for longer, so...

It's not how real life physics work, though. An airplane can remain in the air for several hours and still not crash when it touches the ground, as long as it doesn't descend too fast. Meanwhile, a person can be fired out of a downward-facing cannon 20 meters above the ground and still die on impact, even though they spent only a fraction of a second in mid-air.

yes, that is the point of vada's joke, he is drawing attention to the fact that the script goes against real life physics. it's counterintuitive to say that the falling damage script is 1) physics and 2) more relevant to what he said than any other definition of the word physics

It might be wise for MPC to rewrite this script to take momentum into account instead of time.

It might be wise for MPC to rewrite this script to take momentum into account instead of time.

The reason why I suggested this works off of MOMZ, is because of ceiling springs and their potential to throw you hard against the ground.

Why not add bonking your head on a ceiling to this, as well as colliding into linedefs? If we're going full realism, why not? Or perhaps falling into water too quickly. That's dangerous too. Oh, and grass is softer than rock, so maybe we should be more lenient with that, too.

Why not just change the script to do what I did in mine? Check to see the z momentum of your character and base it off that, say if it's less than say... 22 fracunits it doesn't do anything and if it's over said amount it racks up more damage until it eventually kills you instantly?

You could check to see if the player's momentum vector suddenly decreases quickly (Or, if you want to be mean, increase, too) And if that change is above a threshold, start doing damage. You could check the change over a matter of say... half a second? Quarter of a second? A few frames?

For example, I could walk off a cliff and suddenly jam myself in a corner with a MOMY of 40 and a MOMZ30, and I have 13 rings, and the threshold is 30.

If I rushed into the corner suddenly, that would be a change of 50. I would end up either dying, or losing all my rings and having none left. However, if I let myself hit the wall first, I'll lose 10 rings from damage, and fall harmlessly to the ground. Or, I could slow down, land on the ground and backpedal to a halt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back