Can SRB2 break your computer?

achiiDev

That "Guy"
So my computer just broke because it can't read the disk and just happen today

Is this has something to do with SRB2?
(2022) EDIT : I know what happened.

Last edited:
Of course not.

I cannot come up with how you could even think these things are related. It's like implying that installing SRB2 also invites a little gremlin into your computer and when it gets mad at you, it hits your hard drive with a hammer until it can't be read anymore.

One time, many, many years ago, on a pretty bad Windows XP laptop, after I had booted up the SRB2JTE mod (in software rendering mode), I was greeted to that "SuperVirus" title screen thingie. Obviously, being little and such, I just tried to close the game... but when I did that (using Alt+F4 or the task manager or something), the rest of the computer had really weird colours. I don't remember much of the colour scheme other than the green stuff around the bottom-left Windows logo thingie being magenta instead, but it went back to normal after rebooting the laptop, and it only ever happened once, and had no negative consequences at all afterwards. (Also, the "SuperVirus" is just a kind of joke that's in SRB2JTE, it's not a computer virus at all, and not in vanilla (un-modded) SRB2.)

As for SRB2 bringing actual harmful stuff to your computer... Not unless you got it from some shady site that bundled it with something bad. SRB2 does not contain viruses or malware or anything along those lines at all by default, and I say this as someone who has played SRB2 since before version 2.0.0 was released and still plays it once in a while in up-to-date versions.

TL;DR: No, SRB2 is 100% safe for your computer.

Last edited:
it's basically impossible for srb2 to do anything to your computer so long as you got the install from srb2.org

it's basically impossible for srb2 to do anything to your computer so long as you got the install from srb2.org
Oh, i guess is not SRB2 fault, i'm glad. So it must be SLADE or maybe Zone Builder?

Try to remember the LAST few things you did on your computer. Have you downloaded any files recently? It's likely that if it wasn't off of a safe site, you might have caught a virus.

EDIT: Wait a minute... can't read the disk... Oh my God. I think I recall that error before actually. That's not SRB2's fault, that's your computer failing to read the hard drive disk to start up properly. At BEST you wanna maybe wait a little while before you try again. If that doesn't work, google what you see on the screen of your computer when it makes that error.

Last edited:
Try to remember the LAST few things you did on your computer. Have you downloaded any files recently? It's likely that if it wasn't off of a safe site, you might have caught a virus.
I didn't do anything or download anything. I just play SRB2 netgames and thats all.

So it must be SLADE or maybe Zone Builder?

Did you download Zone Builder fro the forums here, and SLADE from http://slade.mancubus.net/?
If you answered "yes" to at least 2 of these questions, then no.

If you computer can't read the disk (I'm going to assume you meant your hard drive), have you checked if everything is connected correctly?
Some hard drives randomly die when you're using them. It happened to me, so it may as well happen to you.
Or, if you have recently tried to turn on your computer and it magically won't boot, you can try leaving your computer turned off for several hours and try to turn it back on later in the day. Sometimes it works.

Did you download Zone Builder fro the forums here, and SLADE from http://slade.mancubus.net/?
If you answered "yes" to at least 2 of these questions, then no.

Yes and Yes, i not that dumb *sorry* to download somewhere that is very unsafe

If you computer can't read the disk (I'm going to assume you meant your hard drive), have you checked if everything is connected correctly?
Some hard drives randomly die when you're using them. It happened to me, so it may as well happen to you.
Or, if you have recently tried to turn on your computer and it magically won't boot, you can try leaving your computer turned off for several hours and try to turn it back on later in the day. Sometimes it works.

Don't worry i'm trying doing that right now

Last edited:
I forgot to mention that this is the second time it happened. The first time was on my brother's computer. Second time happened in his second computer.

EDIT:Also that before I installed SRB2 in both computers, it worked perfectly fine. Honestly, I don't know what happened.

Last edited:
Chances are part of your computer is failing or you have a buggy driver for some piece of hardware. The fact that these problems are happening right now is a coincidence.

Applications like SRB2 or SLADE or Zone Builder simply cannot cause the problems you are experiencing.

How long has the computer been running? It actually matters because computer's internal components can break with age as well.

But i believe it will soon work maybe, these hardware failures can be temporary.
I hardly believe that SRB2,SLADE and zone builder can affect your computer, unless downloaded from an unknown source as stated.

Sorry for really outdated answer.

While srb2 can't break your computer physically(no software can do that), srb2 can freeze your computer completely. I tell that because that is what exactly happened to me while I was playing multiplayer.

Last edited:

While srb2 can't break your computer physically(no software can do that), srb2 can freeze your computer completely. I tell that because that is what exactly happened to me while I was playing multiplayer.

Not sure of the nature of how your computer "froze", but in my experience, your computer should always be usable even if the game itself has frozen. If all else fails, hit Ctrl+Alt+Delete, bring up your Task Manager window and end srb2win.exe from the Processes tab.

The only time I've ever had any serious problem with SRB2 was more than a decade ago when I was on a really shitty Windows XP computer with like 1 gig of RAM. (I distinctly recall OpenGL running at 10 frames per second and turning everything translucent blue... kind of a surreal memory.)

Not sure of the nature of how your computer "froze", but in my experience, your computer should always be usable even if the game itself has frozen. If all else fails, hit Ctrl+Alt+Delete, bring up your Task Manager window and end srb2win.exe from the Processes tab.

The only time I've ever had any serious problem with SRB2 was more than a decade ago when I was on a really shitty Windows XP computer with like 1 gig of RAM. (I distinctly recall OpenGL running at 10 frames per second and turning everything translucent blue... kind of a surreal memory.)
So, a Sonic Robo Blue Screen of Death? :P

Curious I need to know this

Has anybody here downloaded the Android version do you know if it has any viruses associated I trust this because I have it on my older phone but I'm also really nervous to download it :/
Would love some feedback for people who downloaded the Android version and if you've noticed anything strange going on with your phone. thank you!

Has anybody here downloaded the Android version do you know if it has any viruses associated I trust this because I have it on my older phone but I'm also really nervous to download it :/
Would love some feedback for people who downloaded the Android version and if you've noticed anything strange going on with your phone. thank you!

Well it's been going good so far for me so no viruses or anything but I will say it's super hard to play on Android because the controls are kinda hard to work with but you can configure the controls and you can play with a controller and also depending on your phone the game might chug a little or a lot because the game is quite good but a little too good so don't expect to be able to get past arid canyon so I suggest trying to get a 100% save file for srb2 and I have an Android tutorial for gamedata changing right here.

Also don't expect online to work that well because the master server is already buggy on Windows so it gets worse on Android and also don't expect mods to work that well because almost every mod was built for Windows so I suggest staying clear of mods like modern Sonic because boost is super laggy on phone.

Last but not least models work but you gotta hope that your graphics card on your phone is good enough because stuff like surtant textures won't render or even every texture won't work which is why I can't play on openGL because all surfaces just straight up disappear.

Please make another thread entirely in there own respective forum sections if you have any questions that don't relate to the topic of this thread.

Thanks for reading.

---------- Post added at 08:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 PM ----------

The game does not have any viruses. At all.
If you've downloaded the game from the official site, you're good to go.

The source code is always available if you want to give it a peek and be extra certain, and you can compile the game yourself as well.

Wow I can't believe you posted before me, I spent a while on my post

Darn I will have to be faster next time.

images

I also once had an instance of SRB2 softlocking my PC.
It froze, then the whole screen turned solid white except for my cursor. (Not the "not responding" white tint, just fully white. It didn't stop, and it went over everything.
I tried to Ctrl+Alt+Del and open up the task manager. The whiteness covered it.
I had to hard reboot.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back