Sonic Robo Blast 2's 20th Anniversary

Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided to share the '20 years' gif with Sonikku:

kuold.png

I'm curious. At 0:32 in the trailer, there's an arrow hovering over the crawla. Did I miss you guys talking about what that is in a previous update?

I'm curious. At 0:32 in the trailer, there's an arrow hovering over the crawla. Did I miss you guys talking about what that is in a previous update?
Some of the devs elaborated a bit on the new shield abilities on the Discord. Let me just post the summary I wrote on the wiki here:

SRB2 Wiki said:
SRB2's shield abilities will be expanded for v2.2: Each of the five main shields will now feature an active ability, which the player must actively trigger with the Spin button, and a passive ability, which is always in effect:

• The Attraction Shield's new active ability is the Attraction Shot, which allows the player to dash towards nearby enemies, similarly to the homing attack but without cancelling the player's horizontal momentum after hitting the enemy. To indicate which enemy is targeted, an arrow marker will appear above the enemy when the ability can be used. A differently colored version of this marker is also provided for the homing attack custom character ability.
  • The Elemental Shield's new active ability is the Elemental Stomp, which makes the player quickly dash towards the ground.
  • The Force Shield's new active ability is the Force Stop, which cancels the player's momentum. Additionally, the shield has been recolored to a purple hue.
  • The Whirlwind Shield already has the Whirlwind Jump as an active ability, but a passive ability will be added as well.
  • The Armageddon Shield's explosion already acts as both the active and passive ability, depending on whether it is triggered by pressing the Spin button or by the player being hit.
  • The Pity Shield will still feature neither an active nor a passive ability, but its sprites have been improved.

Man, it's hard to believe SRB2 is almost as old as I am. And to think development of the game continues with a still-active fanbase, no matter how long the next release takes...really goes to show just how much of a passion project this has become.

I like the new ACZ track, the only reason that kept me mashing the replay button of the trailer lol.

A musical treat for you all:

http://www.spaddlewit.com/alt/

P.S. If the trailer is Arid Canyon's new music, I'm not sure it hits the mark, either. There's no driving melody. Before we had any music for ACZ, I used this song (I tried to find the version where I just mashed the instrumental parts together, but I don't think I have it anymore): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bKD25VO7JE
You do have a point with the ACZ music. I personally thought it sounded good, but you're right when you say that it doesn't have a driving melody.

And, speaking of the music you linked to, I have no idea where most of these come from, but I do know that I absolutely love that THZ1 music.

And on an unrelated note, I noticed this in the trailer:

7vcSgJs.png

A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one.

Last edited:
to be fair neither has techno hill for like 20 years :)

Back then, it was hard to find a composer. I never liked THZ much. You had to take what you got. I actually tried writing new THZ music a few times.

It's really hard to describe to people now what the Internet used to be like so long ago.

Do you think it'd be better if we stick to Act 1's original tune more closely? My idea was to deviate from the original slightly for Act 2, which is the one in the trailer, perhaps I went overboard. Are you fine with the overall sound otherwise, putting the melody aside?

As a side note, I rushed the song into a more trailer-oriented fashion when I heard that it was going to be used for it.

A musical treat for you all:

http://www.spaddlewit.com/alt/

P.S. If the trailer is Arid Canyon's new music, I'm not sure it hits the mark, either. There's no driving melody. Before we had any music for ACZ, I used this song (I tried to find the version where I just mashed the instrumental parts together, but I don't think I have it anymore): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bKD25VO7JE

Regarding the music, I’ll echoe some previous thoughts and say the lack of sustained notes in Green Flower Zone makes it sound empty and soulless. Arid Desert Act 2 sounds much better but I couldn’t even be sure if it was a track intended for that level until I checked this thread; most Act 2 themes have kept a variation on the melody of Act 1 as oppossed to just going for a similar atmosphere.

I never liked THZ much. You had to take what you got. I actually tried writing new THZ music a few times.
That's surprising to hear. I always thought the songs for THZ were fantastic. Heck, I've had that alternate version you posted earlier on loop for hours now.

The compositions we have for GFZ to ACZ imo are solid. THZ is one of the more memorable songs for srb2. But DSZ is my favourite.

Back then, it was hard to find a composer. I never liked THZ much. You had to take what you got. I actually tried writing new THZ music a few times.

Composer are rarely appeared on the internet a long time ago, is really hard to make a song with some limited system and tools but i must say, THZ is well composed and sound differently compare to the final song

They both good but i like the old version to be honest.

I think the problem with the new ACZ is that most Sonic game music has extremely memorable melodies, which are in the spotlight throughout the entire track. They are catchy, easy to sing, and generally a bit poppy. The new ACZ music is a fine composition, but making it less atmospheric and more melodic would be a good move for a Sonic game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back