• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

SRB2Colors - SRB2CB mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Varren

Top 50 In #FortniteMostWanted
Sonic Team Junior
srb2cdemo_by_sileresp-d4mitnp.png
This modification has been lost as of May 2013
whether or not it will be redone for newer versions is under thought

SRB2Colors - Demo Title Logo (E3 Style)

Already glancing at the title, you're guessing this is a port. This is not a port.
All stages will have original acts built around content from the game Sonic Colo(u)rs with in-stage detail to cover same aspects as the original game, along with Wisp Power-ups (Both versions). I'm still debating on the entire 6 acts per park gimmick.

Here's what I have so far from old builds

Scenery Building
Very Old (working) Rocket Footage
Tropical Resort Act 1 (Beta)
Second Cutscene - "Amusement Park in Space"

Screenshots:
shot0069.png

shot0071.png

shot0073.png

shot0072.png

shot0055.png
Needs fixing up
shot0021.png

shot0048.png

shot0041.png

shot0034.png

Needs fixing up
shot0033.png

shot0035.png

shot0036.png

Mockup, but would be very nice to have for Act 2.
rso_2_ferrischase.png

------------------------------------
srb20087.png

srb20069.png

srb20052.png

Strikethrough objects have been either cut, or not yet implemented.

Things I have planned:
Tiny interact-able world menu
Custom Bosses
Boosting, Sliding, Stomping, Drifting
Results Screen + Ranks
Before-level title cards
In-game cutscenes
Red-Star Rings
Angled 2D
All Wisp abilities (Wii -> DS)
Instage voices (On/Off toggle)

Content Info Below

Main Stages:

• Tropical Resort
  • Sweet Mountain
  • Starlight Carnival
  • Planet Wisp
  • Aquarium Park
  • Asteroid Coaster
  • Terminal Velocity
Color Powers:

• Cyan Laser
  • Yellow Drill
  • Orange Rocket
  • Pink Spikes
  • Blue Cube
  • Green Hover
  • Purple Frenzy
  • Red Burst
    [*]Violet Void
Bosses:

• Rotatatron (2D)
  • Captain Jelly (3D/2D)
  • Frigate Orcan (3D)
  • Refreshinator (2D)
  • Admiral Jelly (2D)
  • Frigate Skullian (3D/2D)
  • Nega-Wisp Armor (3D/2D)
  • Nega-Wisp Armor 2 (3D)

List of in-game cutscenes (who knows? they might be used):
  • Opening Cutscene (A Mysterious World of Creatures)
  • Amusement Park in Space
  • Robots & Wisps
  • Wild Energy
  • Dr.Eggman Appears
  • Yacker's Plea
  • Robot's Lost & Found
  • Sugar Armada Appears
  • First Generator Shut Down!
  • S01 Frigate Appears
  • Second Generator Shut Down!
  • Wisp's Homeworld
  • The Refreshinator
  • Third Generator Shut Down!
  • Aqua Armada Appears
  • One Generator to Go!
  • Nega-Wisp Factory
  • Free from Nega-Wisp Factory
  • Broken Chains
  • Finally go home?
  • Hyper-go-on Surge
  • The failed plan
  • The Nega-Wisp Armor
  • The Core
  • The Center of the Black Hole
  • Color Power Showdown
  • The Final Phase
  • Yacker's Goodbye

As for acts, it's either seven stages or missions.
Stages will include two acts, and five missions respectively. (e.g. Use Drill to collect 200 rings in 2:00 - not a mission)

Special Stages will be based on the Nintendo DS version of the game (colored orbs!) with a unique twist in the way it plays.

Now here is the current TODO list!
*Give tropical resort a complete makeover
Give 2D mode a new layout
Give planet wisp a new layout
Give Starlight Carnival a new layout

As for criticism, I'd really appreciate if you'd state the problem clearly so I can at least fix up the stages for the
strikethrough.png
SRB2 formula

If you'd like to help (which I have gotten a lot of questions lately so really, I'm just saying) then just ask here.

Last edited:
Certainly better than that old Srb2 Colors mod they were making on a certain other website.

Although I highly disagree with sonic games being ported using the Srb2 engine because of the engine's awful code and all, I still think you're doing a great job here.

*MetalFighter gets ready for the next wave of newb's that will be waiting for the finished version of this project*

EDIT: I am willing to help with any level design. I get very bored sometimes you know....

From what I can tell, visually it looks pretty good. But in gameplay wise, I think you are sticking to the Sonic Colors style to much. By that I mean the levels need more paths, platforming, and made a bit less wide open.

Take the Sonic Next Gen mod for example, it's themed off of Sonic Next Gen, and yet the level designs are more SRB2-themed. Platforming in it was nice, and had quite a few alt paths. Your levels, from what I can tell, are more focused on being Sonic Colors based where it's a strait path with a few jumps. I would recommend trying to re-work the levels to have more platforming sections, and more alt paths to pick from.

Also, if you are going about using texture rips for the levels, and using SRB2CB, I would advise to re-import all the textures as PNG so their colors will be the same ones from the game, that way they won't have to go through the whole palette mess.

But all in all, this looks like one of the more promising Sonic Game Based mods I've seen for awhile. I'm going to be keeping a eye on this, so keep up the good work!

Your levels, from what I can tell, are more focused on being Sonic Colors based where it's a strait path with a few jumps. I would recommend trying to re-work the levels to have more platforming sections, and more alt paths to pick from.
I've put this into thought now that you've mentioned it. Since I haven't completely started the rest of the maps, I can apply this when the development of those stages come.

But all in all, this looks like one of the more promising Sonic Game Based mods I've seen for awhile. I'm going to be keeping a eye on this, so keep up the good work!
Thank you! I'll continue working on this for as long as I can.
EDIT: Scratch that, I'm motivated to finish this anytime

Metal Fighter said:
EDIT: I am willing to help with any level design. I get very bored sometimes you know....

I don't mind then. I'd just need to see what you'd have.

Last edited:
I can begin work whenever you want really.

http://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=36294

It might turn out a little like that. I can always change it to whatever style you prefer as well.

Then that would be OK =). As long as it contains at least bits and parts of scenery the real game had to offer (ie. distant resort buildings (flat texture), ships below you in carnival (flat texture), etc).

Well, for choosing a game to base your mod off of, I can't think of a better one to choose. The levels in Colors were beautiful, and I hope you'll be able to capture some of that beauty in here. Make sure you make good use of the skybox. It's one of your best friends.

From what I see in the trailers and stuff, it is certainly interesting, though I too think it'd be better to redo the levels a bit. One of the things that is such a downfall to Modern Sonic games is the linearity. When you make this mod, do what you can to put interesting places to explore, and solid platforming. The first of those was what I especially missed in the actual Sonic Colors.

Also, there's nothing wrong with a few high speed sections, but everything in moderation. You need a good balance of everything.

I'm curious to see how this will progress. If you want level review or advice, feel free to PM me, as I'd be glad to offer what I can.

Oh, and how the heck did you make that cutscenes? Are those ingame SRB2? I'm impressed!

OH MY GAWD, SOMEONE IS USING FULL COLOR TEXTURES

shot0033.png
shot0034.png

I love how much nicer that background looks now, mixing textures and sprites from the DS version seems to work pretty well too since SRB2 is also sprite based.

Also, moar slopes :P - For example you can add the sloped arched rock that Planet wisp has at the beginning of the level, and even those sloped cliffs on the side;

Wispworldact1001ic8a.jpg

Plus make some gameplay slopes by making large fields slightly tilted for more vertical variation: as in, make the landscape sloped sloped just a bit for a more natural effect, and make more steep sloped areas that you can walk up to explore higher paths as well:

ay9fn8.png

The main ground in that pic is actually sloped down a bit, making the level itself feel a lot less flat - it's a subtle effect but it makes things just play better - It just makes levels feel less "predictable", and it sparks more interest - especially in this engine since slopes haven't been actively used before.

To make large slopes uniform across areas that use FOFs over slopes, use SRB2CB's copy slope by line effect so you don't get a flat area under an FOF in the middle of a large sloped sector.

---

Hey, there's even new enemy placement ideas with slopes, for example:

You could make a tall enemy that keeps players on their toes when moving upwards on a slope path - taking advantage of the elevation gameplay slopes have - you could make a tall enemy that you can't just jump into because of the incline of the slope, requiring the player to move around the enemy and attack it from higher ground.

Another gameplay idea is to have the player be climbing up an incline while falling objects tumble down the slope and the player needs to dodge them.

And in the example screenshot, the larger slope of grass that goes up to higher area is a good example of how to smoothly change to higher level branching paths without having to make a bunch of out-of-place stairs, this encourages exploration makes your level more interesting to explore.

Other Suggestions:

Horizontal platforming with polyobjects - since the flats render, you have much more freedom gameplay wise, this could be especially useful for 2D segments where you want horizontal moving platforms

Ceilings can sloped too to make decorative arches

And for stomping and sliding:

I've tried adding sliding and stomping before, and honestly I think that it's hard to make it really useful in gameplay; instead, I think boosting to burst through enemies and go at top speed would be cool and more fun (But if you're do a run-on-water level, I personally think that you should be able to run on the water without boosting, but that's just my oppinion)

To make the boosting look cool you could add light motion blur and thok particles and even increasing the Field of View(FOV) would be a cool effect,

Another nice addition would be adding drifting for tight corners, you could just use the spinning frames like they do in Sonic Generations. I recommend activating drifting by using some kind of tap left/right right after pressing the spindash button, moving around tight corners could be a pretty neat idea for speed runs

---

Full color PNG support is really appropriate for a mod called "Vivid Colors" isn't it? Funny how that worked out :D

Good Luck!

From what I see it looks amazing, the detail in the levels is good and I love how Tropical Resort is. I look foward to seeing this.

I've responded to the both of you (Charybdizs, Kalaron) in the below spoilered posts. (Both of these combined makes this post huge!)

The levels in Colors were beautiful, and I hope you'll be able to capture some of that beauty in here. Make sure you make good use of the skybox. It's one of your best friends.

I had an example ready to show you, but things froze up here. I'll post it later.
EDIT: Check newer post
From what I see in the trailers and stuff, it is certainly interesting, though I too think it'd be better to redo the levels a bit. One of the things that is such a downfall to Modern Sonic games is the linearity. When you make this mod, do what you can to put interesting places to explore, and solid platforming. The first of those was what I especially missed in the actual Sonic Colors.
I looked back on Act 1 and most of that took up 60% of my map space. I now find it unnecessary to make the entire stage made of what the real thing contained.

Oh, and how the heck did you make that cutscenes? Are those ingame SRB2? I'm impressed!
It plays directly in-game as soon as you start the story. (It plays smoothly too!)
To make it, all it took were 3 built areas, and two small textures of Sonic and Tails. Although, I'm really unsure on how to handle future scenes I want to be made in-game. ("The Egg Nega-Wisp", "Terminal in Destruction")

To make large slopes uniform across areas that use FOFs over slopes, use SRB2CB's copy slope by line effect so you don't get a flat area under an FOF in the middle of a large sloped sector.

I'm not sure how this works. Do I just tag both linedefs?

You could make a tall enemy that keeps players on their toes when moving upwards on a slope path - taking advantage of the elevation gameplay slopes have - you could make a tall enemy that you can't just jump into because of the incline of the slope, requiring the player to move around the enemy and attack it from higher ground.

Perfect! Since I'm not sticking to all Egg Pawns, I was planning on making custom enemies if I got someone to sprite for me. This will do nicely.

Another gameplay idea is to have the player be climbing up an incline while falling objects tumble down the slope and the player needs to dodge them.
This would go mostly under Sweet Mountain. (ie. dodging sweets as they come down a hill being thrown by enemies (if I can implement it))

Horizontal platforming with polyobjects - since the flats render, you have much more freedom gameplay wise, this could be especially useful for 2D segments where you want horizontal moving platforms
There isn't a way to lock the position if you go to the backdrop plane is there...

I've tried adding sliding and stomping before, and honestly I think that it's hard to make it really useful in gameplay;
The only idea I had for stomping was to break floors underneath you. But I guess that's not needed really.

I think boosting to burst through enemies and go at top speed would be cool and more fun (But if you're do a run-on-water level, I personally think that you should be able to run on the water without boosting, but that's just my oppinion)

To make the boosting look cool you could add light motion blur and thok particles and even increasing the Field of View(FOV) would be a cool effect,

Another nice addition would be adding drifting for tight corners, you could just use the spinning frames like they do in Sonic Generations. I recommend activating drifting by using some kind of tap left/right right after pressing the spindash button, moving around tight corners could be a pretty neat idea for speed runs
I really want both of these in, but sadly I'm still low on knowledge with coding. It doesn't hurt for me to try though.

Full color PNG support is really appropriate for a mod called "Vivid Colors" isn't it? Funny how that worked out :D
Ha! I brought back that subtitle just because your engine supports full colors rather than using an excuse to use the soundtrack title. :D

Last edited:
Hey Pac, I just remembered, maybe you can use SRB2CB's axis-align features for better control of your 2D sections, you just place the aligner object in the sector where the player goes into to 2D mode, and boom, the player starts locked to that position, even keeping momentum and everything. (And it won't restrict the movement after it's activated, the feature is made for setting up the player just when he enters the 2D segment)

You could probably use this for creative uses - like even making the player move forward and back while still keeping to the 2D track :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back