Wad Making

Im_Percynator

TrailsTheAzureLion
I downloaded a lot of wads from here, but I thought I start giving back to the community. I was wondering if I could get some advice on making a character wad. By the way, I'm using SLADE. I'll probably test with XWE, though.

Last edited:
Hello there!

Wad Making can be pretty difficult. Especially if you're new to it. Character wads specifically can be the most challenging of all and its very easy to be disheartened to complete it. You'll definitely need a lot of willpower and sheer focus to get the job done.

For starters, I recommend you use MSPaint for character wad making. Its the basic of the basic of programs that you will need for spriting. Aesprite is my personal favorite spriting program but that costs $10 and its a bit complicated for those who don't know much about spriting. GIMP and Paint.NET are also good options to look into.

If you are new to spriting, I suggest looking up some pixel art tutorials and guides. When I first started out, I used the Pixel Art tutorials available on OpenGameArt. If you are new to Art in general, I suggest learning the basics with learning basic Character Animation and Figure Drawing.

I'm also open to helping you out if ya' want. Just drop a DM and I'll do my best to aid you.

You color them green, ALWAYS color your chars green or else you WILL get discoloration.

After that, you can set their values (and skincolors)in the S_SKIN lump

How do I submit the mod? When I try to make a new thread it says either I don't have sufficient privileges or my account is disabled. I would put in a screenshot but I don't know how to if it's not a link.

Submit the mod in the submissions forum if you haven't tried that already. Usually that error would come up if you're trying to post in the releases forums.

Right click the PNG lump(s) and select Graphic -> Convert to...
P9BHMfw

Select Doom Gfx (Paletted) from the drop-down menu, choose the Sonic (SRB2) palette as the palette being converted to, choose whether or not to convert a background color to transparency, and then hit Convert or Convert All.
kRrqq54

So, I finally started making my wad and I've gotten most of the coding done, but when I start it up in single player my character select picture doesn't appear and the character I play as is sonic.

So I happened to have left my project sitting for a while, and completely forgot about finishing it. Now I have decided to start on a new easier idea and I've follow (whatever I can make of) the tutorial, with a bit of trouble. Everything is working except that the sprites are not on the shadow, they're to the bottom right of it. The colour palette also is acting up a little. What have I done wrong?
https://imgur.com/fZbFJNz

Last edited:
The sprites need to be offset so that they are centered to your liking; click on the sprite lump in SLADE, and you should see options for offsets below the display. It's easiest to visualize if you find the dropdown menu there and change the selection from Auto to Sprite.

Make sure you're using the correct color palette, there's a new one as of v2.2.0. Recent versions of SLADE include it, but if you can't upgrade, you can set srb2.pk3 as SLADE's base resource and then select Existing/Global as your palette.

If you see "Sonic (SRB2)" then you're using an outdated version of SLADE and need to update. The latest version has the 2.2 palette.

I downloaded and installed the latest slade beta already.
OK, I just checked and you were right, I needed to have it on Sonic Robo Blast 2 instead on Sonic (SRB2).

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back