Negian Prairie Zone (mt_negianprairie.wad)

Status
Not open for further replies.

M[T]P

Training my mapmaking skill
A match map with 4 "shrines".
Well careful of the floating rock! The exact same place below it is a pit!
By the way, have fun in the map...

Quick Edit:
I forgot the wad I was uploading was the wrong version...

Update :
-. Switched to tunes 143. Let's see how people will give feedback about it.
-. Given some Auto-Ring ammos
-. Creating a new railing spot (Screenshot given). How long can you stand there without getting hit/bombed? We'll see.
-. Updated the Stair textures.
-. *NEW* Just updating the rings to float

Attachments

• srb20093.png
    srb20093.png
    44.3 KB · Views: 726
  • srb20094.png
    srb20094.png
    18.2 KB · Views: 623
  • srb20095.png
    srb20095.png
    16.1 KB · Views: 597
  • MT_Negianprairie.rar
    58.8 KB · Views: 492
Last edited:
A few texture errors, but otherwise it seems like it can be pretty fun. Nice getting to play with you. :)

Yes, I found a texture error on stairs. There may be a little too much items at the pillars (4 grenade rings on columns = 20 grenades ...)
This is a funny theme that pleases me, music is adapted.

I'll work on it. And the stairs.. It's just my bad choice of wall texture. :P

EDIT
Bugs Fixed. Awaiting new comments.

Last edited:
Not bad at all actually, but here's some (hopefully helpful) advice:

- The entire map, for the most part, feels very empty. Try adding some smaller towers or other scenery to cover some of that really empty space out.

- There are WAY too many strong monitors. Try shrinking it down to at least 2 strong monitors, since the map is pretty large.

- Try putting the strong monitors in a place where it at least takes a bit of effort to get. Just placing them on the ground for anyone to easily get just allows everyone to abuse them. Another idea is to just put one in the center of the map, so the other players will compete for it.

- You could also try putting some platforms and/or items high up in the air for Tails players to get. (Just like in Desolate Twilight Zone or Sapphire Falls Zone.)

As for Bbop:
-. I'll work on it.
-. I'll try to make it harder to reach strong monitors
-. I don't know... Maybe I'll do it. ;)
-. Nah. I'd just do something that EVERY player can reach. Only Tails player can reach isn't that fair is it?
Thanks for the tips anyway.

Okay, so me and some friends played this map, and here's what I have to say.
The layout of the level is REALLY awkward in the fact it is made up of a lot of copy-pasted sectors with only 3 or so textures used in the whole level. Also, since there was no grass pegging I easily fell off platforms into a river with no color map, or a death pit.

While they layout isn't symmetrical it still feels like I am at the same place all the time, the fact that most of the weapon panels are in the tower things don't help that either. I often found myself running around attempting to remember what was where, while finding several force shields lying around in the open.

Gameplay wise, it was "Okay" for the most part. It wasn't the funnest match(unless you count blasting someone into a death pit, if so, then it was fun) I've played, but it was still good enough to last two rounds. But hey, there was plenty of rings in the level, and the amount of ammo was fine. So good job on that, not that easy to get the balance on a first map.

Also, one more small nitpick. Why are there transparent rocks, it seems odd that they are transparent really.

I finally got around to playing this in a netgame the other day, with KOTE, Whackjood, and Metal-Rawr. From what I'd heard in this thread, I was expecting a pretty decent map, but I was sadly disappointed. I still had fun, but not as much as I could have.

The main problem with this level, is that it's just too big. I should actually be able to see people on the other side of the map. If I can't, there's a problem. You should do some serious shrinking. Focus more on making the towers more interesting to go in and key to the playfield. If it was up to me, I'd put one large central tower, and three or four smaller towers connected by bridges.
The next biggest problem with your map is the spring spam. Instead of actually bothering to make a way to get into the towers that looks nice or acts nice, you just plastered springs all over the ground. Besides how silly it looks, it is also extremely a pain to use them. They spring you too high, and they're too close to the towers. It takes too much lining up and preparation to use them to get around. In Single Player, that might be fun, but when KOTE is hot on my tail, I don't want to have to do that. Whether you use a better spring setup or whatever, this needs to be fixed. You know, just a suggestion, due to the mysterious nature of the map, I'd opt for a magical sort of lift. Kind of like the ones in Spyro the Dragon. There's a number of ways you could make such a thing.
Those were the major flaws, but there's certainly a few smaller ones. Namely, the death pits. What on earth are those for? They seem incredibly out of place, and look very ugly. If you insist on having a death pit in the level, why don't you design a sort of chasm going throughout the whole map? Even just around the tower would be fine.
Lastly, what is with those clear rocks? I mean, they're rocks, but they're transparent. Cool...? I don't get it. As neat as transparent sectors are, I hardly think they belong there.

If this were in the OLDC, I would rate it a 3/10. With the right care, though, this level could become something awesome. You should really do something with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back