View Single Post
Old 03-20-2018   #17
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sryder13 View Post
I wonder if it would be enough to considerably lower just the vertical mouse sensitivity a bunch by default instead of completely removing it?
The basic issue is that we're expecting players to handle a control scheme they're not using for a platformer for a platformer. The more variables we can remove from the equation, the better. While I'm sure lowering it would help some players, removing it entirely is likely to help more players than just lowering it would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotablyPrettyCrazy View Post
Despite it probably not even making up just about 1/8th of it, not exactly ideal behaviour to dismiss most of a post if a certain part looks like nonsense.
Just because I'm not directly responding to a specific part of your message doesn't mean I didn't read it. I simply didn't think that responding to all of it would be particularly useful to the conversation. Your opinion is pretty clear, after all.

Quote:
And we can agree, that leaps of faith are bad level designs, but what about situations where looking up is helpful? Or maybe jumping on small platforms in later levels where you really have to precisely land on them, like the CEZ2 platforms to the checkpoint with the ring arrow before the grapple tower as an example since CEZ is getting reworked in 2.2 anyway and the Megaman-platform section in ERZ2 that comes right after the lazer section with the crushers?
I'm not saying that adjusting the camera vertically is useless. I'm saying it has limited use. I think the key thing you're missing here is that the less things a new player needs to handle at once, the better. If we can remove gameplay mechanics with limited use, this means that the gameplay mechanics that are actually important are brought to the forefront.

Instead of thinking about it as "where can this be helpful?", think about it as "where is this really necessary?". Removing or hiding unnecessary features is a good way to reign in complexity, which is exactly what we're trying to do.

Quote:
If they're staring at the floor accidentally, they would have had to pull the mouse back, so either it is, again, the sensitivity issue, or just human error.
This here is the key thing I think is important. Yes, it's human error, but it's human error that they wouldn't have at all if the feature was disabled. I'm taking the view that between the benefits of having the feature enabled or disabled by default, having it disabled by default will benefit more players, and yes, I'm taking into account all the things I didn't directly reply to here. Disabling vertical camera movement by default prevents human error causing the camera to be pointed in an unhelpful direction, and in doing so makes it more likely that a beginner player will have a good first impression and stick with the game long enough for the controls to make sense. This is WAY more important than the occasional situation where looking up and down can be beneficial.
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote