SRB2 Doom Builder

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was really a major brainfart of mine, but according to people at #srb2fun, it's actually a good idea.

What I am talking about are "paintbrush" type tools for thing placement. With these, by simply holding the mouse button, you would be able to "draw" things onto the map, like lines of rings and such. Of course, if this were to be implemented, a "snap to grid" option would be a must.

EDIT: Apparently ST is being lazy and demanding me to ask for an autosave feature. One that would automatically save the map from time to time, always in different files, so that "whoops I deleted all of my sectors" errors don't cause all your work to go down the drain.

Please fix the texture browser crash, I can't even make SRB2 maps with that stupid crash.
(better yet fix the texture broswer crash for all games)

Oh god **** YES!

All my girlfriends and wives are belong to you Oogaland.

Don't evade the curse filter

I want to apologize about that btw. I didn't know. :\

I'm liking these new features. I have only one request, and it seems it would be relatively simple to implement.

It is possible to raise or lower a range of floors or ceilings by selecting them and typing ++ or -- followed by the number to add or subtract from them. It would be very useful to be able to do this with object heights. As of now, trying to do so causes a type mismatch.

Z-Offset seems to be borked an an annoying way-Things that multiply by 16 for their bitsets normally have a maximum height of 4096, yet the Z offset for those objects won't go past 2048. In the same way, Things that multiply by 32 for height won't go past 1024, when their max is 2048.

Sonicandtails218 said:
Things that multiply by 16 for their bitsets normally have a maximum height of 4096, yet the Z offset for those objects won't go past 2048. In the same way, Things that multiply by 32 for height won't go past 1024, when their max is 2048.

I experienced this same bug last night. It displays heights properly if they are manually applied, but it won't accept any input past 2048 (or 1024, as the case may be).

There also appears to be a lot of seemingly random crashing involving hovering over sectors or linedefs. Seriously, random. I'm unable to discover which conditions must be met in order to cause this crash. It just happens.

Lastly, I can't figure why, but Doombuilder - both original and SRB2 versions - refuse to open my single player level Dark Palisades, reporting an overflow error. This is very strange as I originally built the level in Doombuilder. =[

Code:
26/02/2006

! Z offsets were masked to 15 bits instead of 16.
+ ++ and -- can be used in Z offsets in a similar fashion to sectors.
+ Preliminary handling of Z offsets in 3D mode: things display at the right
  height, but you still have to aim at the ground to select them.
http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/s0569864/builder_srb2-260206.zip

Tets said:
There also appears to be a lot of seemingly random crashing involving hovering over sectors or linedefs. Seriously, random. I'm unable to discover which conditions must be met in order to cause this crash. It just happens.
I haven't been able to reproduce this, although I admit I haven't tried particularly hard. Does it occur more frequently on some maps than on others?

Tets said:
Doombuilder - both original and SRB2 versions - refuse to open my single player level Dark Palisades, reporting an overflow error.
Um, it opens fine for me... I'm using the wad from the Addons page -- is this up-to-date?

KingofFlames said:
Please fix the texture browser crash, I can't even make SRB2 maps with that stupid crash.
That was the first thing I did, unless you're referring to some other bug in the browser that I don't know about.

That's probably it for this uncharacteristic bout of productivity. I might have some more spare time a fortnight from now, though.

Dark Palisades on the addons page should be the same as my copy, as I've made no changes since the initial release, but I'll download it and check later. And several other people can confirm the random crashes I'm receiving (however, their names escape me at the moment, speak up plz). It occurs with, more or less, the same frequency regardless of the map opened, and only when I'm able to highlight linedefs or sectors by moving the mouse over them. It does not seem to happen with things or verteces.

Well I opened Dark Palidises in both builders and hovered, for the most part, well ove rhalf the linedefs and sectors and I haven't received this error...

Well then, that's the end of that. My copy of Dark Palisades must have been corrupted in some way as to prevent it from opening in DB.

Meanwhile, the crashing is still prevalent. It is no longer a matter of whether or not it occurs, jjames, it is instead a question of why and how should it be avoided until the problem is fixed. As I said before, it has been confirmed by others. Some have suggested to quit using SRB2 DB, but that amounts to little for a proper solution.

KingofFlames said:
Would this work with other 1.67 .cfgs? I hope so....because I don't want my Doom map go to waste if it bugs up....
Uh... maybe. Keep backups. Hexen definitely won't work, and of course Z offsets don't apply, but I think Doom should be okay.

Tets said:
Meanwhile, the crashing is still prevalent. It is no longer a matter of whether or not it occurs, jjames, it is instead a question of why and how should it be avoided until the problem is fixed.
I'm intrigued about this one. I used it for a few hours later on yesterday, and haven't experienced this yet, although I don't doubt the bug's existence. I'll do my best to find it and squish it; any further information anyone can provide to help me to this end would be appreciated. Thanks.

More info? There really isn't. You do things randomly, and it gives the "Doom Builder has caused an error and must close" blah blah. However, it does only happen in linedefs mode.

KingofFlames said:
Fix Hexen then I might consider Downloading this.....
Too much work, I'm afraid. I'd have to do much of the Z offset stuff again, for one thing. Who uses Hexen, anyway? :P

Sonicandtails218 said:
More info? There really isn't. You do things randomly, and it gives the "Doom Builder has caused an error and must close" blah blah. However, it does only happen in linedefs mode.
Mm, okay. I'll just have to keep hunting, then; I'm sure it'll turn up eventually. Actually, this helps me a bit in itself: VB doesn't seem to be catching the error (e.g. no 'subscript out of bounds'-type message), so that narrows it down a little. Merci.

The texture browser never crashes unless you try to get it to search for an unknown texture. If you want the texture browser to work, you have to change the textures in the dialog to ones that do exist.

Considering this is a project centered around adding SRB2 editing features to Doombuilder, I can't see how far you expected to get requesting fixes for Hexen mapping for ZDoom. Let's read the title of this thread and then try again, this time using logic.

Here's some values you can use:

2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096, 8192, 16384, 32768, 65536, 131072, 262144, 524288, 1048576, 2097152.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back