September/October 2009 Voting

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not how the contest works. You should be playing CTF stages in CTF, because they're part of the CTF contest. A vote for a CTF stage in match is kinda pointless and will be excluded.

Play the levels in their intended gametype for voting purposes.

That's not how the contest works. You should be playing CTF stages in CTF, because they're part of the CTF contest. A vote for a CTF stage in match is kinda pointless and will be excluded.

Play the levels in their intended gametype for voting purposes.

Well the game said it supported match... I'm sorry, but it's true.

I do not need scorn for playing it in an intended gametype. ;_;

Besides, the vote is the same for ctf.

Last edited:
Just because the level "supports" the type doesn't mean it's remotely intended for play in that type. Case and point: Race on RVZ1. Sure, it works, but it sure as hell doesn't PLAY very well.

Hang on...there were no Emeralds in my map!? But I added loads of Stone spawn points! What else do you need to add Emeralds in?

It's possible that he was playing on a server that disabled emeralds, which would explain why he didn't see any.

Single Player

Gothic Garden Zone Act 1 by VX501: 1/10

All I see is cramped areas, the factory theme at one or two parts of the level which does not make that much sense in a garden, linear paths, and a mess of death pits in this level, but I do see room for reworking and improvement.
This level resembles nothing to that of a gothic garden. No trees or anything to make it more like a garden. You could add trees to be scenery, path, or even both to add more to the level.

The water section in the beginning could be redone so that you have to platform over the water and if you slip up currents send you to springs and bounce you back up so you can start over, the Skims were utterly meaningless if you can rush pass them EVEN if you fall, saving them for another water section would be a good idea.

The slime nor acid make much sense in this level as of now. Use a murky looking water as a replacement could help, but if that is up to you to decide.

There are some enemies that do not really make that much sense in this level. I would highly advise not using almost every enemy in the game, especially like at the end of the level.

2D sections could work if done differently that is not too weird of a transition.

This level has a lot of potential, you just have to work hard on the design.

Graceful Coast Zone by DOOD64: 5/10

The scenery in this level lived up to its name, but the gameplay was a different story.

Like what was stated before there are too many enemies here and some of them do not make much sense like in a level like this.
I would highly suggest custom enemies that are simple but still are an obstacle.

The level could have been a bit more straightforward with at the beginning with the having take a detour in the background just to open a door, it is almost like playing the board game Mousetrap, you have a gimmick that is not that reasonable just to do something simple. The idea of pressing a button to use a zoomtube for getting pass a door would be better for a later part of the level or a different level, but using a spring to get to this point could be left out.

The geysers could have easier to jump on and to see because blindly guess if one is your level does not help at all. It is a real time killer especially when half of your minutes may be up already. Getting through the ceiling was not fun at all, it was hard still even though you would already be on the last geyser. The geysers could be used at another part of the level but in a different way though.

Like I said about the enemies, you could make an custom Eggman boss. I really liked the arena in this battle and that is something you should keep. The enemies in the boss battle do not add that much, they could actually be left out. Collecting 50 rings would feel very useless especially when you could jump over the pad.

By the way, why collect all 7 emeralds in this level? The boss is not all THAT different to collect all 7 emeralds for. It is near impossible when on a time limit.

You could actually expand on this level by adding a bit more to the coast and cave parts; fixing the problems that were stated would help a lot to.

Refurbished Gadgetery Zone by SonicMaster: 6/10

I like the use of gravity switches to go to multiple paths. The level itself seemed to be mostly platforming and did not really seem that much fun at all.

I have to be honest I did not even bother to finish the level after that upside-down conveyor belt through pillars part, the platforming got too repetitive and tiring.

The sliding parts could use some more work. I like how you did the 2D one, I would suggest coming up with new ideas to make it even more enjoyable. The 3D sliding part seemed a bit empty, like with the 2D one I would suggest coming up with new ideas that were never used.

Normal running sections would be great along a little less of the platforming.

This level is okay, it just needs a lot of work and different ideas though.

Magma Core Zone Act 2 by Blade: 8/10

This level has a lot to offer and with some improvement it can be even more fun than it already is.

I really like the gimmicks used, but they get repetitive after a while. The rockfall and flame jets are great ideas, but gets old real quick. Try making more flame wheels for the level and as for the rockfall try adding it with another gimmick to make more variety.

In my opinion the rope pulleys could have been used more in this level considering it is Act 2 after all. The section they were used in was great but could use some improvement, it is just too easy with flame jets under them alone in a narrow hallway.

The Jetty Syn Pyros and the Fire Turrets were great ideas and work really well in this level. The Fire Turrets were ummm... easy to dodge? Some of the Fire Turrets should be placed in areas that would make them even more hazardous.

By the looks of other's post it seems like the previous version looked better, if so I would put those two together in some way if it is really needed.

This is possibly the best map in the contest due to its replayability.
I would highly suggest taking advice from the constructive criticism from each review to make this map even better.

And now it's time for Match evaluation from me. Yippie.

MAPM1 - Battle Forest Zone by Aaron: 2/10
OKAY I THINK I HAVE ENOUGH AMMO KTHX
Also, the whole arena is just not appealing. And the whole level looks GROSS.

MAPM2 - Misty Mesa Zone by fawfulfan 2/10
...Battle Forest, mind if I get some of that ammo?
Infact, there are barely any RINGS anywhere too. But monitors? Oh, there are PLENTY of those. Also, the whole area is completely symmetrical and huge. Symmetry just doesn't work in 2.0 due to the weapon system, and it DEFINETLY shows here.

MAPM3 - Acid Comet Zone by D00D64 IGNORETHISTOO/10
This was supposed to be an SP jungle level :P
But here it is, Acid Comet, which DESPERATELY needs a new name (Probably Hazard Comet.), and has highly imbalanced monitors, from what I saw. This is fixed int he re-release. Also, the acid was meant to be a punishment similar to death, but not BE death. As in, without the -50 point penalty. Also, Elemental Shield carriers and Supers are NOT safe. At all. This is intentional. don't try this map in Tag/H&S; any Elemental Shield user can just hide in the acid :P

MAPM4 - Icicle Warehouse Zone by glaber 2/10
Geez, did you and Battle Forest steal all of Misty Mesa's ammo or something?
Really, the layout is OK, but the WEAPON AMMO is just EVERYWHERE. I grabbed the Grenade and chucked my way to victory. Really. it's far too hectic. EDIT: Docked another point, due to how it's so easy to keep shields in this level too; a random monitor AND a randomly spawning monitor within a 256 fractounit radius of each other? I mean, come on.

MAPM5 - Volcanic Desolation Zone by Scizor300 1/10
And look, I found the missing rings from Misty Mesa! And I bet Sciz would have gotten away with it too.
Basically, all I see are RINGSRINGSRINGS all over the mountain, and nothing near the lava, which makes me wonder why the lava is important at all. Oh wait, it ISN'T.

MAPM6 - Azure Lake Zone by KO.T.E 2/10
I can safely say I am NOT looking forward to SRB2&K anymore. the level is just AMMO AMMO AMMO around EVERY corner, probably exports from Icicle Warehouse and stolen goods from Misty Mesa. You know there's an issue when there are TWENTY-FIVE GRENADES in one area. Also, the map itself is poorly designed, and that close off is really restricted-feeling. EDIT: After playing this again, I can also say this map is HARD to find ANYONE half the time. Seriously, I go off course to find the weapon rings (Which were in terrible spots), and I never found anyone else untill the last few seconds of the match! (Granted, I still won, but...)

MAPM7 - 30 Minute Zone by RedEchidna 1/10
Red, I say this as a friend, and someone who cares. This map is HORRIBLE. Man, this CLEARLY shows just what CANNOT be accomplished in 30 minutes. The sky is "RED RED WHAHHHHHHHHHHHLLLLLAWAWAHLLLLL", the platforms are just randomly positioned and heightened, the rings are also randomly positioned, and the center area is weird as hell to use to get up stuff. Definitely the worst Multiplayer map, next to Volcanic Desolation. Sorry Red, but I will NOT raise the score just for you.

God, this Match part was a Goddamn MESS.

Last edited:
I didn't play much but I can already say that Magma Core is the best of the bunch and with your permission, Blade, I’d like to use the custom enemies for my Magma Cove Zone. All I’d need to know is how to put them into my level.

;_;

MAPM5 - Volcanic Desolation Zone by Scizor300 1/10
And look, I found the missing rings from Misty Mesa! And I bet Sciz would have gotten away with it too.
Basically, all I see are RINGSRINGSRINGS all over the mountain, and nothing near the lava, which makes me wonder why the lava is important at all. Oh wait, it ISN'T.

Yes, Volcanic Desolation Zone was extremely unpolished when I entered it.

And the little "Look for a better release on the" was something I didn't see coming at all ;_;

Anyways, here's my CTF Reviews...

Canyon CTF Zone by Eggmanfan - 0/10
This map is downright horrid. The rings are undeafed, the quicksand isn't working, the level is extremely asymmetrical, and it's a complete abomination of a map.

This map is BORKED!

Ancient Aboretum Zone by ComRante - 5/10
I absolutely adored this level's detail, but the navigation is a bit confusing at times, and the bases need more Team Rings.

Red River Zone by DarkBob1713 - 4/10
This is a pretty good map, but there are some flaws. First, the CTF Starts have obviously been placed in a few unreasonable areas, they should be placed around the flag's area, not on the opposite side of the map. Next, Tails can completely bypass everything in this map, unless he has the flag.

Sunshower Canyon Zone by D00D64 - 6/10
Quite an enjoyable map, but there are some flaws withe the level's design. It just felt so empty in some places but other than that, this map is very fun. I also loved how much the music fitted in.

Techno Laser Zone by KO.T.E - 8/10
This was such a great map, it wasn't too empty or cramped, and the textures were awesome. The Shrink and Grow gimmicks were cool, along with the ability to close your base off to the outside players (While cool, it may be unfair at times). This was the best CTF map, in my opinion.

Iron Turret Returns Zone by Neo - 7/10
I'd honestly have to say that this would be the only reason to have Iron Turret in 2.1, the underground area was also a nice addition. The textures, lighting, sky, and music were improved quite a bit in this version. This would be the only reason to love Iron Turret.

La Villa Strangiato Zone by "Not" Penopat - 5/10
This level seemed like an optical illusion, at some times, it felt empty, and at other times, it felt cramped. The bases are a bit too close together, and it could be extend a bit to be made somewhat larger. Other than that, it's pretty decent. The music was cool too.

Hm. Well, if you want to know, I kind of like that orange laser wheel, but it took me many, many times before I could get past it consistently. Just use judgment, because it can be cleared through every time if you do it right. Still, though, I suppose it needs work. The narrow walkway over (or technically under) the death pit should have been pretty quick to clear, though, as the red caution walls shows where each corner is, so you can easily run at full speed or even thok through it.

Hm. I think my core gimmick ended up limiting what I could do anyway. I guess it just doesn't work in Single Player.

I don't think I'll be making a Single Player level next contest, though. I'm more going to focus on a Race level instead.

Last edited:
SP Reviews :D

Graceful Coast Zone by D00D64 - 4/10
Okay, I have some real problems with this level. First, some of the emeralds are impossible to reach as Sonic. Second, the level is almost unplayable as Sonic. Third, the time limit needs to be removed badly. FOURTH, the enemy placement is so ****ing unfair that I never got to the end with 50 rings, ever. The Springs part pissed me off so much, because it was nearly impossible to get by without getting hit, same with the turret. It was RAEG Fuel at it's best. The visuals were great, though.

Eh...Now that the ragefest is over, back to reviewing...

Gothic Gardens Zone by VX501 - 6/10
I **** you not, but I actually found this more fun to play than Graceful Coast. While not as graphically appealing, this level had solid platforming and balanced difficulty, while not being as unfair like the map mentioned above.

Refurbished Gadgetry Zone by SonicMaster - 8/10
I found this level very fun, the gimmicks were interesting, and the textures fit perfectly. The one large flaw is that Tails tears through this map like nothing.

Magma Core Zone by Blade - 9/10
This is easily the best map of the Single Player division, it had great flow and the textures transitioned perfectly. My only gripe is that the JettySyn Pyros can be very annoying at times. The gimmicks were fun, and that in-game cutscene was pretty interesting to watch. Great job Blade!

There's my reviews for the Single Player Division, all I have to do now is the Match and Circut levels.

Graceful Coast Zone by D00D64 - 4/10
Okay, I have some real problems with this level. First, some of the emeralds are impossible to reach as Sonic. Second, the level is almost unplayable as Sonic.

I managed to do both, actually. Sadly, level still sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back