Even More 2.1 Preview Screenshots

Status
Not open for further replies.
at the risk of angering Mystic again, I have to say don't just discount the 100 emblem. I mean seriously. More people can figure out what the score emblem is from 100 than some random symbol they never saw before.

Or just do what Sega did and just use 1 standard emblem design all across the board.

How much of a problem was emblem design for Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2, or even Sonic Heroes? Each game had one set design for all unlocking events, and they had find the chao, collect the crabs, collect 100 rings, finish the stage, hard mode, don't hit the wall, don't hit the other cars, get a fish of a certain weight, finish the stage with more than a certain amount of time left, etc (I can't remember all the Heroes ones) And all of those different events used the same emblem design. so maybe, instead of changing the emblems, you make them all one design and color (like in 1.09.4) and instead, label the columns they're in?

The problem with that is more that there are five emblems on the map, which are all collectable as every character. They're all colored differently in order to help differentiate them, but you'll notice AJ's comment earlier about not using only color as a difference between things, something that we actually have been trying to do globally. Hence, giving every emblem a different icon (yes, the lack of a different icon for NiGHTS grade is still just a placeholder; every emblem type will have its own icon to make it clear)

There are a bunch of advantages to this, but the easiest example is the situation where you're stuck finding one of the emblems in the stage. Instead of having no easy way to describe which one you're missing, you can say "the blue one" or "the star". Since they're both colors and shapes, a player could be colorblind and still easily differentiate the emblems, and this makes discussion of the location easy ("oh, the blue one is over here")

Then how about I show you sega's solution to the emblems?
SADX: http://steamcommunity.com/id/surogu...westfirst&browsefilter=myfiles&view=imagewall
SA2B: http://steamcommunity.com/id/surogu...westfirst&browsefilter=myfiles&view=imagewall (includes 3 unreleated screenshots to the matter)
Sonic Heroes: http://steamcommunity.com/id/surogu...westfirst&browsefilter=myfiles&view=imagewall

Also, in regards to "hidden in stage Emblems" make them all the same thing, like a red Star ring as seen in Generations and Colors. Both Generations and Colors don't even bother with telling you where to look and yet, it's not all that big a problem.

God dammit I hate every single person in this thread.

hilltoptree.png

Now go back to faffing around while Nev3r does actually cool stuff.

Games after S3&K really aren't a big influence on design.

The only problem we've got right now is the design on the score emblem. Everything else is fine in how it works and functions. It just happens to be that score is hard to make an adequate symbol for. We're working on that.

So, unless you have a solid suggestion on what graphic we could use that hasn't been mentioned before, I think you should all look at the other screenshots and give us your feedback and impressions on those, because way too much attention has been given to the icon.

Well, thanks to Neo we clearly have a fallback choice in case we can't come up with something better, because I really love that enemy icon, even if I can't figure out what most of the rest of them are supposed to represent =P

What is the spades emblem and the hearts emblem meant to represent?

They represent two of the five emblems you can find in each level with any character.

Edit: Oh yeah and to be honest, I think the picture of the 'enemy' (didn't even know that was what it represented...) makes even LESS sense than the '100'. The fact I had no idea what it meant may be a problem, but it really depends on how everyone else thinks it is.

Last edited:
Because, as it's been stated NUMEROUS TIMES, ANY CHARACTER CAN GET ANY GOD DAMN EMBLEM IN 2.1.
By the way, Neo's got the solution. You should totally consider ALL of his changes, not just the score graphics. Everything is much more clear as to what its supposed to be. I would've fit an enemy there too but everyone said it wouldn't fit in the small space. :V

Last edited:
embl2.png

God you guys. Can we drop the emblem shit already? You realize there's 6 other screenshots worth of stuff nobody's talked about right?

What's with the inconsistency of where the ring and time emblems are? Shouldn't time always be on the right and ring in the middle if time is so often going to be the only emblem in a stage?

If you look back, you'll notice that's how it was before, but:
[03:54] <@Mystic> and for the last three, I think the suggestion of having it ordered as it is on the HUD is a good idea (Score, Time, Rings)
[03:54] <@Mystic> This does keep time from lining up all along the right side, but that's probably a good thing anyways

Is this a rank?

犬夜叉 said:
God you guys. Can we drop the emblem shit already? You realize there's 6 other screenshots worth of stuff nobody's talked about right?
Sorry, anyway I want to ask you if this is an rank, that big B image above the level header.

Last edited:
Just nitpicking, but having it in the order of the HUD is such a small thing that won't click in anyone's heads until much later. I preferred when it looked the cleanest, and quickest to look at, with time on all of the rightmost side. It's a consistency thing as well, but oh well.

In any case, if we must discuss something else, the electric shield looks MIGHTY similar to something I've seen in Sonic Advance before, but maybe its just me. :V

Edit: Oh and "EMBLEM HINTS". Are those going to be riddles or something similar?

Last edited:
:P I find the new force shield looks the coolest. I like the hexagon design. It does make it look more armored than a simple sphere.

I honestly can't wait for this update to hit.

The new electric shield is really cool. It reminds me of those electric orbs you can touch which causes the electricity to go the point where your hand is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back