Frost Coppice Zone (r_frostcoppice) BIG UPDATE

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThunderNova

A map I made a while ago but have yet to release, Frost Coppice Zone!

I have worked on this map for over a year and have dramatically improved its details from start to finish, only just recently resuming work on the level. There are very few errors, with the exception of a few graphical flutters beginning at the spiral walk-up, and the colours have gone buggy once or twice, but otherwise the map is perfectly fine!

Most (but not all) of the walls are unclimbable, and the ones that aren't are involved in pathways for Knuckles - one mandatory, two shortcuts - but even using these, I averaged a one second faster time as Sonic, so feel free to try either out (Tails isn't much here but can still be tried)!

This map's number is map96. It replaces Frost Columns Zone.

Changelog:
Code:
May 28, 2012:[INDENT]
[LIST]
[*]Made the Cave sections wider
[/LIST]
[/INDENT]
Patch 2:[INDENT]
[LIST]
[*]Gave the Ice Maze a ceiling
[/LIST]
[/INDENT]__________________________________________________________________
June 7, 2012:[INDENT]
[LIST]
[*]Big update! Changes include the Figure 8 made more interesting, a new spring route added, and taller/wider Cave sections! No more missing textures either!
[/LIST]
June 8, 2012:[INDENT]
[LIST]
[*]Added scenery, removed the ice wall on the bottom Figure 8 path
[/LIST]
June 20, 2012:[INDENT]
[LIST]
[*]Big update, changed a lot of things, to lazy to list all of them!
[/LIST]
July 30, 2012:[INDENT]
[LIST]
[*]Pipes, lots and lots of Pipes!
[*]Redesigned the first corner
[*]Added much, much more scenery
[/LIST]
September 5th, 2013:[INDENT]
[LIST]
[*]Too many changes to list, see them for yourself!
[/LIST]
[/INDENT]

Attachments

• srb20018.png
    srb20018.png
    69.7 KB · Views: 468
  • srb20021.png
    srb20021.png
    47.8 KB · Views: 479
  • srb20015.png
    srb20015.png
    59.5 KB · Views: 450
  • r_frostcoppice.zip
    161.5 KB · Views: 412
Last edited:
This seems like a pretty good map so far to race in, although, it may be just me (since I'm afraid of being in tight spaces for too long), but the cave section is a bit cramped, but overall, everything else seems decent.

Good job.

I quite like this map. Well, I mean, I would if the floating ice path in the cave wasn't so ... cheap. Sonic is stuck in a maze and everyone else can just fly right over everything to the checkpoint, essentially meaning Sonic is null and void in this map(!!!). While normally I would praise being able to make Sonic less OP, he's just downright useless in this.

I quite like this map. Well, I mean, I would if the floating ice path in the cave wasn't so ... cheap. Sonic is stuck in a maze and everyone else can just fly right over everything to the checkpoint, essentially meaning Sonic is null and void in this map(!!!). While normally I would praise being able to make Sonic less OP, he's just downright useless in this.

Yeah, I agree, Sonic can be OP sometimes, but this map makes him useless in almost everywhere, and the floating ice path is only essential for Sonic, not the others, why not make it essential for all the characters?

Unless you plan on doing what Kirblord23 said, this map is pretty much almost broken by Tails users.

Yeah, I agree, Sonic can be OP sometimes, but this map makes him useless in almost everywhere, and the floating ice path is only essential for Sonic, not the others, why not make it essential for all the characters?

Unless you plan on doing what Kirblord23 said, this map is pretty much almost broken by Tails users.

ah, I've understood that for a while now, I just left the roof open to give knuckles and tails a use, I'll just give the maze a ceiling then. I'll update this post when I add the roof.

Good to know people like the map, I was afraid it would be qualified as "poor" at best.

-- EDIT --

Updated the map! once again, the download should update soon enough!

Last edited:
This is a good level, but there is a lack of scenery in some parts of the level, and the mountain-climbing part is really cramped (As well as the cave). Also, the maze? Oh, my God, that was terrible.

Also, why did you put springs at the big lake at the start? When I fell in, it would eat up a lot of time just to get back on track.

EDIT:
At the bridge, there's a slime trail revealing the start of the race.

Rating: 5/10
Time: 3:18:42

Last edited:
This is a good level, but there is a lack of scenery in some parts of the level, and the mountain-climbing part is really cramped (As well as the cave).

Working on un-cramping the Cave and "Mountain-climbing" parts.

Also, the maze? Oh, my God, that was terrible.

Yeah, I know. Wish I could keep the section itself while keeping the ability to see the scenery, but there aren't many ways to do that.

Also, why did you put springs at the big lake at the start? When I fell in, it would eat up a lot of time just to get back on track.
Then don't fall in. It's not really a hard part of the map, and every character can breeze by it.

EDIT:
At the bridge, there's a slime trail revealing the start of the race.

See the original post, where I state that there are graphical glitches that I don't know how to fix.

You're more than welcome to try and fix it, however.

Rating: 5/10
Time: 3:18:42[/QUOTE]

I enjoyed this level as well.

The ice maze was awesome, hands down.
A map that actually had some shortcuts!

There could be more scenery with things.
Because this is race, if the user falls in the middle of the 'ice dash' at the beginning of the map, I fell that there should be springs to take them out of the water on the other side. That way you wouldn't have to go all the way back and waste 4-8 seconds with time.

Since scenery seems to be a big want, any places that look noticeably barren?

Also, I'll add the springs right now, but I'll wait until I get any location recommendations for scenery.

Thanks for the feedback, by the way!

Edit: Nevermind. All of a sudden I don't sigserv anymore. Odd. Nevertheless I quite like the changes you've made except for the random ice wall on the lower path of the Figure 8. That just seems random and kind of ... there.

Last edited:
Edit: Nevermind. All of a sudden I don't sigserv anymore. Odd. Nevertheless I quite like the changes you've made except for the random ice wall on the lower path of the Figure 8. That just seems random and kind of ... there.

Added that ice wall to make the lower path a little more challenging and longer, it seemed to me like the lower path was easier and shorter than the upper path for Sonic. However, I'll probably remove it when I come up with a good idea to lengthen/increase the difficulty of the lower path.

Added that ice wall to make the lower path a little more challenging and longer, it seemed to me like the lower path was easier and shorter than the upper path for Sonic. However, I'll probably remove it when I come up with a good idea to lengthen/increase the difficulty of the lower path.

The problem with the ice wall is that it makes the entire bottom route slower than the top. Because of the spring shortcut the top uses.

The problem with the ice wall is that it makes the entire bottom route slower than the top. Because of the spring shortcut the top uses.

Yes, I know, got any suggestions to make the bottom route a bit slower but still make it so the top route is equally as fast/slow?

Yes, I know, got any suggestions to make the bottom route a bit slower but still make it so the top route is equally as fast/slow?

Get rid of the ice wall. Problem solved. The spring shortcut, if used properly, makes the top route infinitely faster than the bottom one. There's no reason to use the bottom one as it is now. Plus there's the Tails/Knuckles shortcut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back