January/February 2010 Voting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it is not my fault I did not know that this error exsisted because when I test levels I open them up in DB. Maybe the WIKI should be updated to warn people not to make make the level to close to the red line!

Well, you're the first person I've ever heard of to have that issue. It's not our fault you didn't properly test your stage, and only used the SRB2DB testing function. Unplayable maps = zero score. It's been like that since the beginning of the contest. I don't see why we'd have a FAQ entry for something that's never happened before.

Being close to the edge of the map space isn't an issue. The issue is that your map resources weren't properly built. All we're doing by moving the map in the editor is forcing the editor to properly nodesbuild the map.

Well I knew my level would be bad so it isn't a big deal. This error could have happened to anybody! Now I know to test it outside of DB.

*--<(SINGLE PLAYER MAPS)>--*
Rainsoaked Ridge Zone, Act 1 by Mach - 4/10
You know... I honestly don't know what to say here... when I heard the Music I was thinking that this level might be throwing something at me, but it appears I was wrong, also it's short, and the secrets... ok, I REALLY don't know what to say...
---
Buzzards Bay Zone by WEREHOG - 0/10
errorkq.png

---
Jadeflower Zone, Act 2 by blahblahbal - 1/10
Hmm... good start until further in the level, where I am greeted with a water pit that you can't escape from as Sonic, so there I wait for the Drowning to free me, long hallways, software glitches, etc.

The ending has to be one of the most confusing things I seen so far, I mean... is there a way out? Or is there no exit? After going aimlessly at the end, I see 3 rings pop up, and I teleport where I find Eggman waiting for me, killed him, level doesn't end, so I am stuck again until I manage to find the exit in a corner... HOW IS ANYONE GOING TO KNOW THIS? Please don't do this again...
---
Giana Dream Blast by glaber - 5/10
At the start I was thinking it was Mario Koopa Blast with some graphical changes, however... further in the level there were some changes.

There were some parts that sent me in a loop, also where did these graphics come from anyway?
---
Mountain Fortress by verifiaman - 4/10
What should I say here... hmm... hopping over pits, one area that got me confused, water that jumping out of leads me to taking a hit on the edge of it, a teleporter that drops me off at the end. I think this is all I can say, really.

Oh, forgot to mention, but I found Sonic's Emblem, wait... is there suppose to be Emblems if on the stats it has nothing listed?
---
Eggmansion Zone, Act 1 by KO.T.E - 8/10
By far, I liked this level, but I think the message at the start could of be moved somewhere else like at the part where you come to the puzzles, also I think the Eggknights are better like this, because they move away then thrust forward at you if you try to kill them.

I have played the beta version of this, so I kinda knew some areas before, so yea...

Am I done yet?

Last edited:
Giana Dream Blast by glaber - 5/10
At the start I was thinking it was Mario Koopa Blast with some graphical changes, however... further in the level there were some changes.

There were some parts that sent me in a loop, also where did these graphics come from anyway?

They came from this version of the Great Giana Sisters. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vWUzQiQUY0 Amiga version. Graphic were grabbed via screen shots on another site.

Last edited:
And again must I say that there are NO inescapable pools in this level; you must look closer.

Well, I sure as hell didn't see the means to get out of 'em. Seriously, springs / ledges / whatever leading out of pools of liquid should be easy to find / in an obvious place (like by the bank closest to where the player approaches the pool in the first place).

Last edited:
Yeah, I know that you put an exit somewhere, but I couldn't find it. That's not cool; it should be obvious where to go to escape from a pool of water.

I got an idea: Let's use a pastebin for keeping track of votes. It's handy for multiple reasons:
-It can be edited easily, for if someone made a mistake.
-It's easier to keep track of votes during the voting, because we can just make tiny corrections with each new vote.

I dunno if this is allowed or not, but I didn't see any conflicts with the rules.
Here's the pastebin, with all votes up to this post:
http://pastebin.com/57PCCbA6

Hope this helps!

User #3801 said:
Amber Ravine Zone, by Spherallic - 6/10
WAY too big for a match map, and just like the previous map, easy to get lost.

Neo Green Lake Zone, by Scizor300 - 8/10
I liked this level, especially the texture choice. Though the death pits didn't make much sense.

You just contradicted yourself. I mean, I looked at it in DB, and NGLZ is bigger than ARZ.
Also, to be honest, you really like your bro's MP maps too much. (Just saying, it's only my opinion)

Mystic said:
MAPM4 - Amber Ravine by Spherallic - 7/10
Solid layout, but the cramped nature of it was quite brutal, especially considering I never saw a shield in the entirety of the game I was playing. With all those monitors, it would be nice if a few actually were WRMs and SRMs. I never found one, and boy was I looking.

Uh, there are 3 WRMs and a SRM (see image). I dunno how you couldn't find them, but they are a bit out of normal reach, I admit. I might add another one too.
33a3yie.jpg

Well, at least one of them is awfully far away from the main action. And they definitely don't seem to be evenly distributed across the level, which isn't typically good.

Race now, CTF later, and Match and 1P when I get around to it.

~~~RACE~~~

MAPR1 - Crispy Canyon by RedEchidna
6/10
Started out cool, but got boring as the level went on. Tails is a bit OP, too.

MAPR2 - Frosty Aroura Zone by darkbob1713
6/10
Not bad, but pretty boring for a NiGHTs level.

MAPR3 - Thunder Factory Zone by Blade
N/A
Wow, I really didn't think this map would do that well. It was simi-rushed, and I didn't really think the Fan gimmik was that great. I've been proven wrong, though!

MAPR4 - Midnight Lagoon Zone by blahblahbal
1/10
I'd say this is a thok fest, but it ain't. It's a Backtrack-because-you missed-a-checkpoint fest. And I only found one spring in that big pool. The tunnel was also too cramped.

MAPR5 - Molten Mountain Zone by stoneywagner
4/10
Cramped in the caves, and the last bend was not fully obvious that you had to turn left. I ran of the cliff into the lava the first time. The caves also had too much fire and lava in them.

~~~CTF~~~

MAPF1 - Upload Download Zone by fawfulfan
5/10
Bases were sorta cramped, and there is a small ledge that's easy to miss and fall down near the exits of the cyber part.

MAPF2 - Night Shrine Zone by Hyperknux
6/10
Looks nice, but I did see some odd looking team flags. there also seems to be more than 2 scatter ring pannels.

MAPF3 - Coldlava Cliffs Zone by blahblahbal/darkbob1713
4/10
I got 6 weapon pannels in 7 seconds. Something's wrong there. also, the lava is REALLY dark in one of the caves. Flag Return should be aplied to the lava, too.

MAPF4 - Sunkist Falls by Spherallic/Blade
N/A
I don't know how you guys are getting stuck in the bases. There's a spring on the rocks down there.

MAPF5 - Arial Skyfort Zone by Mach
2/10
Horrible textures, far too much Gernade ammo, and extreamly easy to be knocked into the pit.

~~~SINGLE PLAYER~~~

Rainsoaked Ridge Zone, Act 1 by Mach
5/10
It'd be good for a first level. Pretty Average.

Buzzards Bay Zone by WEREHOG
0/10
Crashes on load. Once you do get it to work, it's fairly boring, with an invincibility out in the open.

Jadeflower Zone, Act 2 by blahblahbal
1/10
If there's a way out of the water, I couldn't find it. It's also hard to figure out that you have to go into the corner to clear the level. Some parts are cramped, and some parts are too wide open.

Giana Dream Blast by glaber
5/10
One of the better ones, feel like a MKB rip off, though.

Mountain Fortress by verifiaman
3/10
Quite boring. The first pit seems to come out of nowhere.

Eggmansion Zone, Act 1 by KO.T.E
8/10
Best 1P level in the pack. Some pretty nice gimmiks, but the script at the start was annoying.

Last edited:
But even if they are divided by sector height, they are still close to each other compared to the size of the level.

I can safely assure everyone that I won't finish my votes this time. I will make sure to vote on my divisions, though. ;)

Singleplayer:
Rainsoaked Ridge Zone, Act 1 by Mach
Buzzards Bay Zone by WEREHOG
Jadeflower Zone, Act 2 by blahblahbal
Giana Dream Blast by glaber
Mountain Fortress by verifiaman
Eggmansion Zone, Act 1 by KO.T.E

Match:
MAPM1 - Restricted Cavern Zone by blahblahbal - 4/10
As much as this level needs improvement, I actually had fun, if only because I have fun with everything I play. But it really needs... just something, I don't know what,

MAPM2 - Frost Forest by RedEchidna/darkbob1713 - Puzzles/10
Did anyone find the hidden puzzle in here? (It involves the room with the Bomb ring, and the underwater hall out of that room gives you a hint.)

MAPM3 - Neo Green Lake I'M FAAAALLING Zone by Scizor300 - 3/10
Yes yes, a decent map enlarged 10x. I've seen it before, and quite honestly it doesn't make it good.

MAPM4 - Amber Ravine by Spherallic - 5/10
I generally get the same feeling playing this as I do... let's say Infernal Cavern. Which is "there's that one little thing nagging me, but I don't know what it is..." Really, if that flaw that I can't identify was fixed, this would be a great map for me.

MAPM5 - Acid Mountain Dew Plant Zone by KO.T.E - 5/10
Now, this level. It has good points, and it has bad points. I like the scope of the level, and the extra doors that make the map feel bigger than it is. I also like the general look. However, why does the Mountain Dew kill you? *bricked*

MAPM6 - Astray Canopy Zone by stoneywagner - 4/10
I'm sorry, but the big room with the tree and the general hugeness just completely ruined this map for me.

MAPM7 - Land of Light and Rain by Errol - 3/10
Really, the size of the level just kills any chance it had. I'm sorry.

CTF:
MAPF1 - Upload Download Zone by fawfulfan
MAPF2 - Night Shrine Zone by Hyperknux
MAPF3 - Coldlava Cliffs Zone by blahblahbal/darkbob1713
MAPF4 - Sunkist Falls by Spherallic/Blade
MAPF5 - Arial Skyfort Zone by Mach

Circuit:
MAPR1 - Crispy Canyon by RedEchidna - Cacti/10
This used to have much less cacti (read: none) until Coat requested it. So now the level's pretty much flooded with the stuff.

MAPR2 - Frosty Aroura Zone by darkbob1713 - 3/10
It looked ok while I was flying around, but that was really all it had. This really could've used some more... gameplay.

MAPR3 - Thunder Factory Zone by Blade - 6/10
This has the basics down to a tee. The length is bearable (if a slight bit long), the level was purty, and the hazards weren't too cheap. However, the fans, while creative, could've used more visual warning. Maybe red stripes on the sides of where the fans would affect you?

MAPR4 - Midnight Lagoon Zone by blahblahbal - 1/10
Sonic Circuit / 2 - Fun = Midnight Lagoon

MAPR5 - Molten Mountain Zone by stoneywagner - 6/10
Ok, call me crazy, but I actually really enjoyed this one. It's got just the right amount of difficulty, and it wasn't too long. However, there wasn't really anything outstanding about it.

Last edited:
Egg Mansion needs to be merged with Castle Eggman 2. I love the thematic elements!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back