Jazz Attack (mtf_jazzattack-v1c.wad) v1c Released! (3/9/08)

What should I do next?

• Make more match maps!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Make some circuit maps!

• Make some CTF maps!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jazz

After another 3 months and in honor of SRB2's 10th Anniversary, I present to you a new version of Jazz Attack.

Just some of the new stuff:

Completely remade Crystal Caves
Completely remade Vertical Forest (now: The Great Forest)
Revamped Lava Lake
Revamped Goo Lagoon
Replaced Space Platform with last contest's winner: Physics Lab
SOC lump fixes
Minor fix for Frozen River
Minor fix for Sunken Sanctuary
And many other minor changes

• List of Maps: (Match)
    Crystal Caves - MAPA0
    The Great Forest - MAPA1
    Dark Town - MAPA2
    Railsniper Range - MAPA3
    Deathmatch Arena - MAPA4
    Sonic at the Disco - MAPA5
    Island Hop - MAPA6
    Lava Lake - MAPA7
    Goo Lagoon - MAPA8
    Physics Lab - MAPA9

(Capture the Flag)
    Sky Shrine - MAPB0
    Crazy Castles - MAPB1
    Railsniper Rampage - MAPB2
    Frozen River - MAPB3
    Fire Eye - MAPB4
    Woods of War - MAPB5
    Asteroid Belt - MAPB7
    Silica Temple - MAPB8
    Sunken Sanctuary - MAPB9

Anyway, I hope you all enjoy the new maps.

I do not know how to remove the poll, but it is no longer needed so do not bother voting anymore...

Special thanks go out to:

JEV3 for custom textures and flats.
JEV3 and SB for lots of beta testing assistance.
SB for the file hosting.
And to all others who participated in the various private tests.

Screenshots:

Crystal Caves:
srb20001.png

The Great Forest:
srb20000-1.png

And without further ado... the link!

http://sb.sepwich.com/wads/mtf_jazzattack-v1c.zip

As usual, questions/suggestions are always welcome.

Happy Hunting!

Great! I was looking forward to this.

Only suggestion I would make is to go a bit less happy on the deafed monitors. I understand that they're at a hard to reach place, but once everyone's competing for them, they pretty much stay there... <_<

Also, I don't really care what you do next, I'd like any gametype of your maps equally. But I'd biasedly vote CTF, as that's my favorite gametype.

EDIT: Yeah, I meant in the Railsniper zone. Everything else is pretty much fine, in my opinion.

Hmm, thats a good point you made about the deafed monitors... I seem to only put one of them in most maps. (5 in Railsniper Range, forgot to fix... :l) Item rebalance shouldn't take too long, a simple fix for next version.

By the looks of the first five votes in the poll, it seems to be an overwhelming win for CTF so far...

Jazz said:
Hmm, thats a good point you made about the deafed monitors... I seem to only put one of them in most maps. (5 in Railsniper Range, forgot to fix... :l) Item rebalance shouldn't take too long, a simple fix for next version.

By the looks of the first five votes in the poll, it seems to be an overwhelming win for CTF so far...
Because CTF is too populated.

I really want to see some CTF maps to contrast all of these match maps you've been making.

But yeah, I've never liked Vertical Forest. It's probably my mutual hate with rails, but I dunno.

Com, I hate to break it to you, but not everyone can map for SP. You can get away with Symmetry making most of your map for you in multiplayer, but in SP it really takes thought.

It takes thought to make a good mulitplayer map too. I'm sure Jazz could easily make a SP level if he put time into it. That is what SP levels need. Time. Which is the reason there are very little of them. Jazz could make a SP level, anyone could, but making a SP level takes time and patience, something very few people here have. So, I am suggesting that Jazz take the time he could spend making 10 CTF levels, and using it to make a SP level. Besides, it sounds like you are trying to make it sound as if you are special because you can map SP, and that other people can't. But I will end there, because it is starting to feel hot in here, and we all know what that means...

Jazz said:
Vash said:
Because CTF is too populated.

I wouldn't go that far, most netgames are made up of either match, or coop. :|
Most are n00bs that host coop or match. If you see a good player playing match, then they don't feel like playing ctf.

BlueZero4 said:
Com, I hate to break it to you, but not everyone can map for SP. You can get away with Symmetry making most of your map for you in multiplayer, but in SP it really takes thought.
It depends on the map you're trying to make, really. Special stages and boss stages are just about as easy as match to make, though if you're trying to make a regular coop stage, then that really only takes some amount more effort than CTF.

I mean, when I made Mercury Sea, it took five hours each day for the two days I worked on it. I had to plot out the weapon rings, general ring placement, pathways and length of the stage, and also add my own little gimmicks here and there (if you can consider outside scenery a gimmick). By making a coop stage, I'd plan to make the level design just as nonlinear as the CTF stage, plan out ring placement, balance the difficulty and add enemies; then add a few bonuses here and there, like emerald tokens and emblems, but's that's not always done. I'm sure coop really doesn't contain a lot more planning compared to CTF, so half the time, I'm sure it's only a third harder at most.

Though, I'm sure I'm not one to say that. Afterall, I've only completed a single match stage and a ctf stage. By my own reasoning, though, it isn't nearly as hard as, say, an original character wad.

Com said:
Besides, it sounds like you are trying to make it sound as if you are special because you can map SP, and that other people can't.

Um... How we ended up with that conclusion, I really don't know, but okay. >_>

Well, lets just say that considering I have only been making maps for a total of 3 months now, I'll start with the slightly more complex CTF maps, and leave the SP maps for later as I improve my technique. Mind you, I still have a lot to learn, especially in the realm of SOCing...

Apparently my next "expansion" to this level pack will be a nice round five CTF levels, of which hopefully I'll get a couple done in time for the next contest. Which means, I need to start my pilot CTF map... Quick, to the SRB2DoomBuilder!

The file was downloaded 25 times when this post was written... Awsomeness. :D

Alright, the pack has reached a cool 50 downloads!

I am starting development on the next addition to this pack, either today or tomorrow. My sig will have details on current development. Thank you for your comments thus far...

Alright, time for a double post and a bump! (in a good way)

I have completed the next five maps in my pack. The list and download link are on the first page. So... heres a quick rundown of whats new:

(MAPB0) Sky Shrine: My pilot CTF map, decent but nothing special in my opinion.

(MAPB1) Crazy Castles: An experiment, two castles, one on each end, with buttons for teammates and enemies to raise/lower bridges and the castle door.

(MAPB2) Railsniper Rampage: One of my match maps remade in CTF form. Hope your rail-ring skills are up to snuff!

(MAPB3) Frozen River: Two bases separated by a river, travel to the other side by bridge or spring, but don't fall in the river!

(MAPB4) Fire Eye: A crater who's lava level gradually rises and falls. Make your way to the other side by floating rocks, or hurry across when the lava level is down!

Now... comment and enjoy!

*EDIT* The pack broke the 80 download mark before I removed it. Awsome...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back