• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Ultimate's SRB2 OST Remake (UPDATE - Title Theme and remade Opening Animation!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultimate

a scar in time...
Ultimate's SRB2 OST Remake

Contents

SRB2 OST Remake
-------------------------
The point of this OST Remake is to reimagine the SRB2 songs in a way that more closely reflects the catchy, poppy tunes on the original Genesis/Megadrive. That said, these tracks aren't exactly in the Genesis style, however, I hope they still bring something unique and enjoyable to the SRB2 songs that we love.

Piano Collections
-------------------------
The Piano Collections is a collection of generally jazzy or nostalgic piano arrangements of the SRB2 tracks.

SRB2 OST Remake

01. Title Theme
I remade the Title Theme for SRB2! It was a bunch of fun, so much so that I made an title screen animation to go along with it! I hope you guys like it!
02. Green Flower Act 1 (CHIPTUNE STYLE)
This is an entirely new chiptune arrangement of Green Flower Zone. I always thought that GFZ Act 1 was a bit too slow, and didn't give me much of a Sonic vibe. I listened to it once, then tried my hand at recreating a version that hopefully sounds a little more like 'Sonic'.
02.1 Green Flower Zone - A New Hope (MODERN STYLE)
This is yet another entirely new arrangement of Green Flower Zone! It's much more acoustic than the chiptune version. Gonna keep redoing it until I'm satisfied with it. Anyways, this one has no B melody in it, but if you guys want that section, I might add it back in (it's the minor middle section in green flower zone). Please enjoy! And please give any feedback you might have! Still working on the mix, and some of the notes are a bit rough.
02.2 Green Flower Zone - Another Time, Another Place (CLASSIC SRB2 STYLE)
Another attempt at the GFZ track from SRB2. I reharmonized and changed up the chord progression, but kept the tempo and used instruments similar to the original Green Flower Zone.
03. Deep Sea Zone - Dancin' in the Deep
My take at Deep Sea Zone. It pretty much completely changes the mood of the song, but hopefully you guys still like it! At all times, I kept an element or motif from the original song going on in this version, which I think is pretty neat. Tried to keep it underwater sounding, had a bit of Labyrinth Zone in mind while making this. And of course, Aquatic Ruin. I'm thinking of making a more chiptune version of this as well, to match the Green Flower chiptune version.
04. Boss Theme - Mechalomaniac
This is a remake of the SRB2 Boss Theme. This doesn't necessarily sound all that much like "classic Sonic", which is what I originally planned. It kind of went its own way as I was working on it, and I just went with it. However, as with the other tracks, I've changed the tone of the track quite a bit. It's a bit more energetic. I tried to use all the melodic lines from the original, the bass, the falling motif, and the final raising motif. Enjoy!
05. Castle Eggman Zone - The Mechanized Fortress
Again, this is a catchier, somewhat more Genesis-like version of the song. I tried to use most of the motifs and themes from the original CEZ, while changing up the pace, chord structure, rhythm, and adding some new melodical elements.
06. Techno Hill Zone - Chemical Breakdown (BOSS THEME)
EDIT: Got some advice from Shuffle and Chrispy, and I like this track much more now. Thanks guys!
-----------------
This was probably the most difficult track for me regarding the SRB2 remake. I already like the original Techno Hill Zone, and it's already quite a catchy tune, so I wasn't exactly sure where to go with this one. I might create an extended version later that adds some of the unused musical motifs from the original Techno Hill Zone arrangement.
07. Deep Sea Zone - 'Til the Final Breath (PUMP UP THEME)
After getting an idea from Shuffle about making themes for each of the bosses based on the stage's normal theme music, I decided to make my first attempt Deep Sea Zone, as I really liked the arrangement of it, Deep Sea Zone - Dancin' in the Deep, that I had made earlier.

Tried to make this sound like a boss theme without going too serious mode. There's still some playfulness in the chord progression and arrangement. Also, I tried to cover most of the themes used in DSZ, the arpeggios, low piano, falling bell theme, bass line, and melody.
08. Deep Sea Zone - Drown Out that Noise (BOSS THEME WIP)
After my last attempt at a boss theme for this stage ('Til the Final Breath), the general feedback was that the song didn't sound sinister enough...I was purposely going for a slightly less sinister tone, but I suppose I went overboard...and now I'm in the deep end...cuz this one's pretty sinister. I added a new chorus melody, as none of the motifs from the original DSZ seemed to work too well as a catchy and sinister chorus line. Any feedback is much appreciated!

Piano Collections

1. Memories ~ Teaser
This is one of the first SRB2 tracks I ever made. It's a very brief, yet sentimental medley consisting of only two songs - Green Flower Zone and Paternal Horn.
2. Techno Hill (WIP)
This is a Techno Hill piano arrangement, with bits of Chemical Plant, Hydrocity Zone, and Flying Battery thrown in. I think the arrangement is overall fairly decent, but the performance is subpar. It was mostly a spur of the moment thing. I plan on making a more refined performance in the future.

Last edited:
Really digging the new Deep Sea Zone music. Definitely would be interested in a chiptune version of it if you happen to do one.

Haha the new Deep Sea Zone music makes me think strongly of SRB2's DSZ's four-note rising motif with Aquatic Ruin's chord progression. It sounds cool!

Thank you guys! DSZ Dancin' in the Deep is really the first digital song I've made that I feel pretty satisfied with! Glad you guys enjoy it!

Haha the new Deep Sea Zone music makes me think strongly of SRB2's DSZ's four-note rising motif with Aquatic Ruin's chord progression. It sounds cool!

Bingo! That's dead on. The A section stuck pretty much to DSZ's original chord progression, until the prechorus. Circle of fifths has always been my favorite chord progression, and that is exactly what Aquatic Ruin's progression is! In other words the chorus is exactly that - Aquatic Ruin's chorus/circle of fifths! The B' section pretty much takes that CoF progression, substitutes a few chords, and turns it into a minor variation.

On a different note, I have updated the main post to include the Piano Collections I've been working on.

Last edited:
Finished a new track! This time it's:

03. Boss Theme - Mechalomaniac
-------------------------------
This is a remake of the SRB2 Boss Theme. This doesn't necessarily sound all that "classic Sonic-ee", however, as with the other tracks, I've changed the tone of the track quite a bit. It's a bit more energetic. I tried to use all the melodic lines from the original, the bass, the falling motif, and the final raising motif. Enjoy!

Finished another new track, this time it's Castle Eggman Zone.

04. Castle Eggman Zone - The Mechanized Fortress
----------------------------------
Again, this is a catchier, somewhat more Genesis-like version of the song. I tried to use most of the motifs and themes from the original CEZ, while changing up the pace, chord structure, rhythm, and adding some new melodical elements. It kinda goes insane during the chorus.

Last edited:
Wow, I must've missed this thread, some nice tracks here, also I like your CEZ Re-imagination, sounds like it would fit for a Boss battle fight :) Nice work.

Wow, I must've missed this thread, some nice tracks here, also I like your CEZ Re-imagination, sounds like it would fit for a Boss battle fight :) Nice work.

Thank you, it does sound like a boss battle! I even highlighted the CEZ motif that is actually part of SRB2's boss battle theme! PV2 from the discord realized it, too :P!

Taken from PV2:
https://youtu.be/dn9Q4XC5uo4?t=24
https://youtu.be/WH3eYtU9-BU?t=72

I like Mechalomaniac, too bad it doesn't really loop
Yeah, to make Mechalomaniac loop, it has to be OGG and then have a loop point set a few seconds in when the reverse symbol plays (between 2 and 3 seconds).

Last edited:
Finished another new track!

05. Techno Hill Zone - Chemical Breakdown
-----------------------------
EDIT: Got some advice from Shuffle and Chrispy, and I like this track much more now. Thanks guys!

This was probably the most difficult track for me regarding the SRB2 remake. I already like the original Techno Hill Zone, and it's already quite a catchy tune, so I wasn't exactly sure where to go with this one. I might create an extended version later that adds some of the unused musical motifs from the original Techno Hill Zone arrangement. Would love to hear feedback on this one...not sure I like what I did with it, so any feedback would help.

Last edited:
After getting an idea from Shuffle, I decided to try making Boss Themes for all the stages. Chemical Breakdown already works quite well as a boss theme, so I moved on to my favorite, Deep Sea Zone.

Deep Sea Zone - 'Til the Final Breath (BOSS THEME)
Tried to make this sound like a boss theme without going too serious mode. There's still some playfulness in the chord progression and arrangement. Also, I tried to cover most of the themes used in DSZ, the arpeggios, low piano, falling bell theme, bass line, and melody.

I've made a entirely new boss arrangement theme for Deep Sea Zone!

Deep Sea Zone - Drown Out that Noise (BOSS THEME WIP)

So after my last attempt at a boss theme for this stage, the general feedback was that the song didn't sound sinister enough...I was purposely going for a slightly less sinister tone, but I suppose I went overboard...and now I'm in the deep end...cuz this one's pretty sinister. I added a new chorus melody, as none of the motifs from the original DSZ seemed to work too well as a catchy and sinister chorus line. Any feedback is much appreciated!

Last edited:
I wish that Sonic Team Junior would use this OST Remake Collection for Version 2.2. It's really good!

I wish that Sonic Team Junior would use this OST Remake Collection for Version 2.2. It's really good!
I don't think this would be necessary since they're remaking the OST.

Either way I like some tracks posted here, pretty nice stuff

Thank you, I'm glad you like them that much! Perhaps if I can finish unique tracks for each of the bosses they'd consider it, not sure! Just gonna keep working on this and see what happens. Unfortunately, I don't have that much free time at the moment, so it may be a few weeks before I can start another track >_<

Next might be Arid Canyon (Boss Theme), Egg Rock (Boss Theme), or the Title Theme.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back