[Open Assets] Liquid and Inferno Shields

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joat

Gum Phoenix
The Elemental Shield was once two separate shields: the Liquid and Inferno Shields. For those who have need of them for their mod, here is a script that restores those shields. It includes shield graphics (made from the Elemental Shield sprites and the old Inferno Shield sprites) and monitor graphics.

My thanks to Goldenhog and RedEnchilada, whose Gravity Shield script has shown me that new shields can be done and gave me a template on how to do it, even if my implementation ultimately ended up differing considerably. Speaking of the Gravity Shield, this mod is compatible with that one.

Thanks also to Sapheros, for contributing some code directly to this project, to handle ignoring bubbles when using the Liquid Shield.

The map thing numbers for the Liquid and Inferno Shield monitors are 422 and 423, respectively.

Attachments

• srb20015.png
    srb20015.png
    34.6 KB · Views: 1,293
  • srb20016.png
    srb20016.png
    32.2 KB · Views: 1,282
  • shieldsplit.zip
    9.3 KB · Views: 649
Last edited:
Works like a charm; my only suggestion is to make bubbles unable to be grabbed by anyone wearing the Aqua Shield, like how the Elemental Shield does it.

Welcome to releases!

Can I hire you to make P_Attract in lua for meh pls

These shields work great! If you want, I can PM you a code for TehRealSalt's comment.

Such would be appreciated, Sapheros. Plan A, overriding P_TouchSpecialThing, seems to be impossible, and though I have a plan B, if you've already typed something out, I certainly shan't argue with that.

On P_Attract, on cursory glance, it looks doable. I can at least try, on that.

Missed opportunity to make the inferno shield mapthingnum 420. Clearly it's not blazing it properly.

ANYWAYS GOOD WORK

Fun fact: I worked on something similar (but didn't finish) during 2.1's development to test mod-accessible shield layers and lua and maybe put them in the Mystic Realm port, but since I didn't understand checking sector specials with Lua at the time, I reached for far more hacky methods of figuring out which element a given instance of environmental damage was.

Namely, checking the map number because Mystic Realm is consistent about which stages have which hazards! If you're in Flame Rift Zone after all, you can be pretty confident that damage came from lava if a mobj wasn't responsible. :P

Heh.

I'm glad that somebody finally did it properly. My stab at it made for a good story, but not so much for a good wad.

Last edited:
"Bug": In RVZ, the lavafalls fizzle the Inferno. Less of a bug than a property mixup. This happens because you can go into them and they are water sectors.

---------- Post added at 09:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 PM ----------

Actually, I'm doing "SRB2 but it has these shields", could be fun.

Right, that issue in general was really fucking picky for the Fire Shield, I'll be able to provide what was done for my Fire Shield for Joat when he's available again.

Can you add a code for replacing the regular Elemental Shields in Vanilla? Something like Saph's S3&K Shields

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back