View Single Post
Old 07-08-2017   #10
Fodder
SRB2 = Sonic OVA?

Okay, so let me say a few things:

I read Sapheros' post before playing and gathered that the maps were made with Fsonic in mind. So, I did choose him for this and jumped right into the first map here.

The first thing I noticed is that the map looks gorgeous. I love the detail here. The second thing I noticed is that I didn't know where to go. I get that it was my first time and all, but I figure there could have been some ring trails. (Were there ring trails already? There might have been, and I could've just ignored it.) But yeah, I step into an open area or jump up from a spring, now I've gotta know that I'm supposed to turn 135 degrees to get the next checkpoint. I didn't know this and ended up jumping off and going backwards. The third thing I noticed is how many ring boxes are so out-of-the-way without really being worth it. I mean, nobody's going to go off the main path just to get an elemental shield in a map where there are no fire hazards and you can just avoid the water completely or get out in such a short amount of time that you won't drown. (Especially with the Eggman box. I mean, really, who's going to fall for that?)

A couple other things about this map:

-I liked the part where you have to spindash; that was pretty clever.
-The springs immediately after that were kinda iffy, I liked the idea but I don't feel it was well-executed. For one, you jump from the spring and want to get going as soon as possible, right? So you hold forward to get as far as possible, but that makes you fall down to the lower path. That's probably what you were intending, though, so I'm not sure I can complain about it.
-Another thing about the springs, they're kinda spread apart so you can totally miss them, which was what happened to me one time. Maybe put some more springs between those to ensure that players don't miss them.

As for the next map.

Same kinda thing about not really knowing where to go, in particular the window on the ledge that the springs take you to made me think I was supposed to exit there to go outside, when in reality I was supposed to be facing the other direction. Same kinda thing about my first time, I guess.

Another thing, the stairs were kinda steep. I find this to be a problem, since if you're going too fast the stairs immediately stop you and as far as I know, there is no way to avoid this.

And finally, the underground water segment. Yeah, that was pretty dark and should probably be brightened up a bit but that's all I really have to say about it.

Verdict: Good maps, but play through them by yourself a couple times to familiarize yourself with them before trying to race anyone.