July/August 2011 Voting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, it was unfair. I played it once more and it happened again. I didn't bother to try it some more. And yes, the lag was heavy a lot, it was intense to just turn around, or even play the game.
I assume you're talking about netgames in both cases. Did you try loading them on your own? Because these sound like server/internet connection issues to me.

I assume you're talking about netgames in both cases. Did you try loading them on your own? Because these sound like server/internet connection issues to me.

I was exploring them on my own in Hosted, non-advertised game of mine. Maybe it was just too much detail in Storm Stronghold? I don't know the case of Brawl's map, so yeah.

There's quite a bit of detail in the large backyard, which seems to lag a bit on weaker machines, but nothing along the lines of lag to the point of being unplayable that I am aware of.

Aquatic Temple, by Kuba11 - 8/10

This map kept me entertained the whole time. Good use of features and gimmicks rather than just 'jump up platforms to advance'. The attention to texturing suffered in some areas (some avoidable misalignment, use of CFALL in some places instead of GFALL, etc), which drops this one point.

Pipe Towers, by Fawfulfan - 6/10

Great use of Mario mode, but I would have liked to see some more creativity. While you removed the pipe sound, it probably should have been kept for transition between the underworld and overworld. I'm also pretty sure you can script up things like a multi-coin box that has fewer coins the longer you wait to hit it successive times, and blocks that 'punch', but don't give you anything (SOC an invisible object, and spawn a new one in the control sector).

Midnight Pass Zone Act 2, by KO.T.E - 7/10

Mostly your basic platforming. Meeting KOTE was interesting, but even that part was just jumping from sector to sector. LOVE the texturing effect of the waterfalls. Liked the pinch sequence at the end, but I'm sure you can do more there as well.

Red House by Ice - 6/10

Music transitions aren't handled smoothly. Why didn't you use polyobjects for the swinging doors? The spring in the fountain going right up into a small batch of spikes is pretty mean. Mystic, I think this guy's library needs some consideration. What do you MEAN nothing happens if I push Red off a cliff?! :)

Sonic Dumbventure - Volume 1: Donkey Kracken's Disasterous [sic] Quest, by D00D64 - 10/10

Once you fix the bugs and the issues with the castle section, this is Hall Of Fame material.

Why did you get overruled about the announcement? Sounds like that's the kind of thing that would be worthy of being announced. I know I would have appreciated learning about it in an announcement.

I wasn't overruled. I said there should be announcement and that was the last thing to be said on that topic.

I think its rather telling that nobody noticed its removal, not even some of the devs. Before SC said something, I didn't even know it was gone myself. Granted the ratings system makes it redundant and its management was kinda controversial anyway.

Giving it a 0 because the game happened to freeze on this particular map is unfair, especially since it didn't seem to happen for anyone else (and therefore wasn't the map's fault).

I played some of the multiplayer maps on my own to see how they look like, and I had the same problem. It is no connection issue - it is the map's "fault".

I played the map on a not-too-old Laptop with Windows XP and it lagged like hell (especially the outside-part of it). If *Steel* says that the map was unplayable because of lag, this lag was caused by the map, not by connection issues or something like that. ;)

You could also say that it is the fault of the player's computers, but you can not expect everybody to have a good computer to play this map. ;)

Last edited:
I played some of the multiplayer maps on my own to see how they look like, and I had the same problem. It is no connection issue - it is the map's "fault".

I played the map on a not-too-old Laptop with Windows XP and it lagged like hell (especially the outside-part of it). If *Steel* says that the map was unplayable because of lag, this lag was caused by the map, not by connection issues or something like that. ;)

You could also say that it is the fault of the player's computers, but you can not expect everybody to have a good computer to play this map. ;)

It's not like we could do anything about it. Our computers all ran the map perfectly, maybe with a just little bit of lag sometimes! We couldn't know that some computers are bad enough to make the map unplayable :P

Sorry, but yes we can. I don't want to dumb down my levels just so some crappy computer can handle them. I'd rather take the low scores from the few players who apparently aren't willing to switch to lower resolutions on detailed maps.

Sorry, but yes we can. I don't want to dumb down my levels just so some crappy computer can handle them. I'd rather take the low scores from the few players who apparently aren't willing to switch to lower resolutions on detailed maps.

No, you don't need to dumb down your map so everyone can enjoy it.

Yes, you should dumb down all the unnecessary detail gives a good amount of people lag and makes them enjoy it less. I know that Sphere likes to detail his maps a tad too much sometimes, so you might want to test the map on a wider range of computers. My laptop from '08 that can run Source games (Not well, but still can run them) gives me a pretty decent amount of lag on Storm Stronghold, especially in the garden.

The point is you can detail the maps, just don't go overboard with it.

Last edited:
My laptop from '08 that can run Source games (Not well, but still can run them) gives me a pretty decent amount of lag on Storm Stronghold, especially in the garden.
In 640x400? That's the only resolution where I start caring if the map lags.

In 640x400? That's the only resolution where I start caring if the map lags.

Yes, I've always played in 640x400. Red gave out a new version of the map with dumbed-down detail, and everything ran smoothly. So yes, the problem is with the map itself.

This is going to be short, I might extend it later.

Singleplayer

Red House Zone by Ice - 5/10

I understand that this is three different levels mashed together, but you can do better than this.

Pipe Towers Zone by Fawfulfan 9/10

Add Bowser's castle, and a few more gimmicks, and you've sold me.

Aquatic Temple by Kuba11 - 7/10

I enjoyed the gargoyle portion, but some areas should have the water
removed. The area before the crusher segment is very boring.

Sonic Dumbventure - Volume 1: Donkey Kracken's Disasterous [sic] Quest by D00D64
- 10/10

I have nothing to say at the moment.

Midnight Pass Zone, Act 2 by KO.T.E
- 5/10

The last bit with the Rayman music and rising water gets a point, but this wasn't interesting elsewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 4, Members: 0, Guests: 4)

Back