Use lighting effects in 2.1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I'll put my input into this as well.

I've seen plenty of sprite-based games that can make wonderful use of lighting effects. Standing by what most said, I don't think the lighting effects commonly used in 1.09.4 were well implemented. I honestly don't feel that the old corona effects fit into a game like SRB2 either. I don't think the question here is how would lights be implemented into SRB2's current rendering engine, but its if those lights would be necessary for a game like SRB2. I think the only way to get them to look nice is if you could have certain shader effects applied to them so that each effect doesn't carry the Sun's luminosity. Along with this, effects like the Super Sonic aura described in the first post couldn't be done with lighting effects alone but would also need some sprite-based support to keep the effect from looking massively corny.

I agree with Wolfy. The lighting effects used in 1.09.4 looked nice sometimes, but then other times...it looked like colormaps with a lot of shine too it. Especially the Super Sonic aura. It was just like a yellow colormap under your feet just...chasing you. Having them fully implemented would require something much more then that, like Wolfy said. I really WOULD love to have more effects like in 1.09.4 it'd make the game just that much more spectacular to look at. It'd compliment well thought out levels and it'd make Match/CTF and all that competitive stuff that much more dramatic.

I would love to see the lighting effects in the game again, as awful as they did look in some places, I kinda liked them. But now OpenGL in 2.1 is very slow and laggy, it forces me to play the game in 360p.

I know that there are some awful effects about the lighting effects, but for some reason that's what made this game for me to look more realistic.

Would be cool to have it as an optional feature, none of the game main stuff and objects would use it if you guys fear having balance issues in game modes, SOC Parameters to enable coronas and set RGB Manually would be neat, for some OpenGL exclusive mods.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back