Games that lots of people don't like, but you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shadow the Hedgehog
I don't know what's wrong with this one, sure Shadow is not the most original character, but this game has an inetrresting storyline that differs with who you decide to help for every level. I also like the soundtrack for some reasons~

Sonic Unleashed (Wii)
Compared to XBOX and PS3, the game is really awful at graphics. No really, Sonic is weird like running etc. But what I liked in this game are the night stages that turns in a beat'em all at every corner. I remember Jungle Joyride (or something like that) when you had to fight enemies on CRUMBLING PLATFORMS!. That was pretty much insane, but really fun~

Shadow the Hedgehog
I don't know what's wrong with this one, sure Shadow is not the most original character, but this game has an inetrresting storyline that differs with who you decide to help for every level. I also like the soundtrack for some reasons~

Sonic Unleashed (Wii)
Compared to XBOX and PS3, the game is really awful at graphics. No really, Sonic is weird like running etc. But what I liked in this game are the night stages that turns in a beat'em all at every corner. I remember Jungle Joyride (or something like that) when you had to fight enemies on CRUMBLING PLATFORMS!. That was pretty much insane, but really fun~

While I admit to enjoying Shadow a lot when it came out, it's obvious what the flaws are. Control is stiff (either a step up or a step down from Heroes' slipperyness, depending on your preference,) level objectives are either mind numbingly tedious (kill all of x enemy) or controller breaking frustrating (dispose of all the tiny bombs,) the in-engine cutscenes are laughably bad (terrible animation, subpar voice acting, awful script-writing,) half of the weapons just aren't fun to use (melee weapons are nearly useless and so are guns with manual aiming reticules,) many levels are flat and uninteresting, they cut down the violence and swearing in order to get an E10+ rating (if you're gonna be stupid and go dark n' edgy, at least go all the way so we can laugh harder,) and you have to beat the game so many times in order to unlock the final boss fight that you could have beaten at least two other, better games in the time it took.

But yeah, the soundtrack is kickin'. Definitely not my favorite Jun Senoue soundtrack, but there are some standouts, and all of the vocal tracks are amazing.

As for Sonic Unleashed on Wii, I'll actually agree with you there. Despite the 360/PS3 version having better werehog combat, I felt that the smaller werehog stages in the Wii version were actually a lot more fun to explore and much less tedious. The Sonic stages don't control quite as well as the HD versions, but their layouts are unique enough that they are still worth playing. There is an simple, arcade-like feel to it all that I appreciate. Until Sonic Colors blew it out of the water, it was the best playing Sonic game on the Wii.

Ty the Tasmanian Tiger - The first one. While it was your generic 3D platformer with a fuzzy mascot, it had a very unique charm being a game set in Australia with all the glorification coming along with it (mate). This game was really fun up until I got to a boss I simply couldn't beat. And then I sold it. And then I vowed never to sell any of my games ever again. why me

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale - A lot of people hated this for what it was similar to whilst it fully captured my attention for a solid year and a half. That reason was partly because of Spike's inclusion, but also because the fighting within it got really intense at times. Trying to predict when and how to avoid your opponents super when they have it while planning what you can do to stop them is always fun.

MySims - Also the first one. Most of the love for this game comes from nostalgia with playing it with my sisters rather than actual gameplay. Though there were lots of ridiculously silly moments involving plonking down a random essense (table covered in fish and apples) just to fulfill a specific Sim's like with a furniture. Hey friend! Let's watch your completely covered in cherry TV!

Sonic R for me. Even though the music didn't fit the theme, it's still great music. it's short, but fun. the game's control is...bad but I got used to it. and I always just get a sense of nostalgia from playing it.

Bubsy.

I should hate this, I'm sure I should, but I don't. The strange physics of jumping, the ridiculous speed, the nature of it all, the nonsense music, the art style, it all screams "FUN" to me.

I don't get it myself, but my favorite, the Sega Genesis (Mega Drive for you Plebian Eurocoms) version is the definitive experience to me. There's a SNES version, yes, and a PC release dubbed SUPER BUBSY with improved music and introductions, but... I love the Genesis version. It is a great experience to me.

Bubsy 2, no. Just no, please.

Bubsy 3D, I am a sad and clearly cursed victim to owning a copy of that. I want it gone from my life. Please help me.

But I adore Bubsy for the Sega Genesis, and I would buy a physical copy... And I probably will when I can go to my nearest game store. (Yes, we have a game store which carries Genesis games. Thank god.)

Also, The Sonic Storybook Series.

Secret Rings and Black Knight are quite enjoyable to me. True, they were WII titles, and that defaults to shitty motion controls and an overall constant slow pace, ironic for a Sonic game, but not something I can't enjoy. I actually love the notion of Sonic with a weapon, if only because it lends itself to the possibility of some high-octane speed battles. Obviously, we won't see Sonic grip a gun for the duration of Sega's time with him, but it's fun enough as it is.

Last edited:
Obviously, we won't see Sonic grip a gun for the duration of Sega's time with him,

sonic2.jpg

We get it, guys. You all like awful Sonic games when nobody else does. Nobody is surprised at this because this is a Sonic community =P

If this topic is to be remotely interesting, I suggest you guys talk about non-Sonic games so you're not all repeating the same thing over and over.

Adventure Quest.

11 years old, has 1/20th the playerbase it used to have, updates are too regulated and too standardized, pay to win is prevalent.

Oh and also it's a godawful ancient flash game with an RPG system that makes Final Fantasy 13 look complicated.

I spent money on it, and still play it regularly, end my life please.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale - A lot of people hated this for what it was similar to whilst it fully captured my attention for a solid year and a half. That reason was partly because of Spike's inclusion, but also because the fighting within it got really intense at times. Trying to predict when and how to avoid your opponents super when they have it while planning what you can do to stop them is always fun.

I love this game. Arguably better than any Smash game IMO- every character played so uniquely and nothing like the next. (Even Cole and Evil Cole were very different, unlike a certain pair of angels) The only thing that brought it down was much of the side content and roster- you know, the questionable choices like Donte, Fat Princess, Zeus, Isaac. But whoever else was there was an absolute joy to use like Parappa or Sly. That and the stages were actually not terrible while having a great variety. The hazards never really dictated who won a match, they just set you back a bit. And even then they could be turned off and the stage would keep it's unique landscape/formations. I also liked that it WASN'T immediately accessible as each character had a bunch of different moves and tactics, but the supers-only kill was questionable. Like Spike played great but I could just not use his supers very well. I myself used Radec and Dan very well. That's another thing. It was actually better with character balance.

Last edited:
I remember liking Bubsy 1 too, even though I haven't played it in over 15 years. True, it was floaty and Bubsy had the airborn momentum of a bag of leaves, but once you got used to the games physics it was really easily to get him to bounce on multiple enemies.

I also prefer the simpler Genesis instrumentation of his music, although that might be biased nostalgia talking.

I love this game. Arguably better than any Smash game IMO- every character played so uniquely and nothing like the next. (Even Cole and Evil Cole were very different, unlike a certain pair of angels)

I've always found that, compared to Smash, this game tends to be much more competitive. Since you can only kill others with Supers, learning each character's super moves and what kind of combos can lead into one makes every fight a mindgame to get your opponent to slip into your own combos and kill-confirms and to avoid theirs. Smash, on the other hand, simply makes it all about damage and trying to knock the foe off the stage which can be accomplished without much thought.

Also YES to character uniqueness. There's tons of different archetypes that every character fulfills to a very high degree. A zoning character like Sackboy is extremely hard to play and understand if you've been maining a more up in your face character like Donte or Raiden. Fat Princess is terrifying to fight against just for her unique ability to summon soldiers to attack you with while also attacking alongside them. Stuff like this really make the game feel awesome to play ;w;

I've always found that, compared to Smash, this game tends to be much more competitive. Since you can only kill others with Supers, learning each character's super moves and what kind of combos can lead into one makes every fight a mindgame to get your opponent to slip into your own combos and kill-confirms and to avoid theirs. Smash, on the other hand, simply makes it all about damage and trying to knock the foe off the stage which can be accomplished without much thought.
I don't think it's without thought, as edge guarding is a mind game all its own in Smash. Especially now that it's less passive and you can't simply hang onto it to achieve a kill. In general though Smash is definitely far more straight forward.
And yes, I agree- your kills usually have be to very deliberate in All-Stars. And I agree about the competitive factor, as the game itself is just far less casual and IMO way better when playing 1v1. But it's not a great party game where just anyone can jump in, I feel. (That being said, unfortunately I don't see people still playing it competitively.)

Also YES to character uniqueness. There's tons of different archetypes that every character fulfills to a very high degree. A zoning character like Sackboy is extremely hard to play and understand if you've been maining a more up in your face character like Donte or Raiden. Fat Princess is terrifying to fight against just for her unique ability to summon soldiers to attack you with while also attacking alongside them. Stuff like this really make the game feel awesome to play ;w;
Yeah, seriously. It's so sad that it came up as short as it did- I remember when they were discussing supporting it for years. But when they release character dlc that nobody wants (Isaac, Zeus, Emmett) then they suddenly wonder why they don't make any money off of it. Even the characters I just mentioned played really well, so much that I got past my initial disapproval with them and just had fun. The combat was so solid. More Japanese representation and the obvious PS1 choices would have made it feel very complete.

Sonic Heroes: Okay I'm a little awkward with this one, because I discreetly remember back before the dark age hit that people really liked this game, and in fact every 3D Sonic at the time, excluding Big in SA1. But then, when it happened, respect for the game suddenly dropped off the face of the earth, and many people just dismissed it as "another bad Sonic game". Even the Adventure games don't get as much respect now, although it's still hella more than this game. It's not perfect, sure (the voice acting, ice physics, and structure nail that one) but I think it's still an okay game.

Sonic and the Black Knight: I don't really want to explain this one. The Great Clement did it better. Go watch his LP of the game, it basically says how I feel about it.

Also honorable mention to Lost World Wii U but that one was more mixed than anything.

Last edited:
Ty the Tasmanian Tiger

Wait, people hated this game? Since WHEN?! As far as Super Mario 64 clones go, TY has to be one of the best. Also the characters are absolutely amazing.

Another game I'm gonna add to my list is Super Mario Bros. 2 ("The Fake One", as people like to call it) - I very much enjoy that game, and while it doesn't feel like a TRADITIONAL Mario game (But hey, neither did Sunshine, ay? ;D) it's still pretty fun all the same.

Also playing the Mario Bros. minigame on the GBA version was fun.

Blood II: The Chosen: This is one that's starting to get a little more respect, my guess being because it's starting to gain nostalgia value. A big problem people have with it is it's not like Blood. I think the game in itself is still fun and I found the "bad" humour to actually be amusing.

Duke Nukem Forever: I think one of the biggest reasons this game gets so much hate is because people had unreal expectations about it. Of course, I'm not an idiot and understood that it was impossible for something to live up to the amount of hype that 3D Realms built for it. I considered playing this game a real treat, just because of its infamously long development cycle. It almost felt surreal to have a Duke Nukem Forever box in my hand when I did.

Shaq Fu: This isn't one of those trolls where I say I love a completely vilified game. I actually enjoy playing Shaq Fu. I've always heard it has terrible controls and whatnot, but it honestly doesn't feel too different from fighting games I remember at the time.

Sonic the Hedgehog (2006): This one's a biggie, especially around here. I actually liked Robotnik in this one. The controls are rough. I played through the two player mode multiple times with my friends on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. Maybe it's somewhat of an ironic like, but I don't find it to be "the perfect definition of a terrible game".

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows: This one baffles me. I read a review that harshly criticised the game for its lack of nostalgia, and maybe that's a huge problem with reboots nowadays. While I admit I was a little put off by the Turtles' design at first, I found the gameplay to be fun and actually enjoyed the banter between the turtles.

It's cool to see a lot of people posting 06 in here. I don't think it's a good game by any means but I had a bunch of fun playing it and went to the trouble of clocking the Sonic campaign.

I also love Unleashed (PS3/360), I honestly think it's the best game in the franchise. Generations felt like a huge step backwards with its awkward level design, lack of content, sticky physics, etc. Since I sold my 360 I've been really wanting to play Unleashed again, and I was excited when it started getting hacked into Generations on PC but really disappointed when it turned out they were keeping Generation's physics and gameplay elements. I did play it briefly but I won't get into it properly unless someone ports Unleashed's gameplay properly.

Interesting with all the talk about PS All-Stars. Maybe we should group up for some PS3 battle fun.

I'm also gonna add SMB2 US to mine. I feel like it was worth the transition. Also, you should play Super Mario Advance, as it is basically the BEST remake of the original game around, even if there's Super Mario All-Stars on the SNES.

Also adding Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness for the GameCube. People give this game flak. Why? It's just Pokemon with a real storyline. Is storyline that weird? Is the darkness system that cumbersome? I don't think that. I love XD for it. I think it's the best Pokemon I've played, even through all the hours I wasted on Sapphire.

I almost got banned from a Sonic-related IRC channel for saying this, but well.
Even though I've never played Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystals (N3DS) I love how it looks, and I'm sure I would love it if I played it. Plus Sticks is my favorite Sonic character (or perhaps the second, after Knuckles), and she's there.
Please don't murder me for saying this, but I like Knuckles' new design.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back