On "Don't download it".

Status
Not open for further replies.
SMS, Dark Warrior is right, and while you can go ahead and try to be nice about saying "This is utter crap", the rest of us are going to tell it like it is. If they can't handle that, they shouldn't be posting their work on a public forum.

Maybe, Darkwarrior, people ignore constructive criticism because they find it offensive.

Maybe if you stopped making negative comments, the creators would listen to you and improve in the future.

For example;

Constructive criticism: "Maybe if you Didn't put so many enemies in this, the level wouldn't suck so badly!"

Suggestion: I think you should cut down on the number of enemies, then you would make better levels.

See the difference? The top one can be found offensive easily, while the bottom one is simply stating what you should do to make something better. Instead of demanding that they fix something, and sounding like a total jerk, you should simply point out what's wrong, and request that they fix it. Users think those people are jerks because they demand the fix, and say it in a mean way. They think they are total jerks, and don't listen to them at all. Maybe they would listen if they didn't demand a fix for something. Be Nice with the criticism, and the creators will listen to you.

If you don't want a bad reputation also, stop being a jerk and ask for a fix. Simple, no? If you have a hard time doing this, Then stop commenting. Okay? Okay.

WAD master said:
If you have a hard time doing this, Then stop commenting. Okay?

No. Last time I checked I still had freedom of speech.

If you can't take criticism on your work, no matter how harsh it is, then please don't post your work here. Files posted here are subject to thorough examination and judgement, with the intent of helping you perfect your future creations. If you can't stand hearing what's wrong with your stuff, then we probably don't want you posting it.

Notice that a lot of what I comment on is not something that can just be 'fixed'. Look at the characters I comment on. They're flawed in their very nature. I can't give comments on how to improve something that by its very nature can not be improved. There's no way to be 'nice' about something such as that. Garbage can not be improved. A map that has massive rings, all weapons, cramped rooms, and other bad design flaws can't be improved. Because of its nature. A Timer SOC can not be improved, because it's a Timer SOC. See what I'm getting at? Not eveything can be improved. And if you don't like the criticism, don't post your work. It's that simple.

Neo Chaotikal said:
WAD master said:
If you have a hard time doing this, Then stop commenting. Okay?

No. Last time I checked I still had freedom of speech.

If you can't take criticism on your work, no matter how harsh it is, then please don't post your work here. Files posted here are subject to thorough examination and judgement, with the intent of helping you perfect your future creations. If you can't stand hearing what's wrong with your stuff, then we probably don't want you posting it.
Yes, people have freedom of speech. (however limited it may be...)
*Hateing every moment of limited freedoms*

I think both sides of the argument have valid points, but in my opionion the "utter crap" statements are unecessary. It's not about being nice, there's just no need for it at all. Generally it's flamebait. And things aren't from one extreme to the other; not flaming something doesn't mean you're praising it. You can say that a wad is bad or one of the worst without the "worst pile of garbage I've ever had the misfortune of downloading" drama.

On the other hand, if you feel you need to use belittling words to get your point across, then you have every right to do so.

Perhaps there should be a compromise. Just posting a basic 1-10 rating and why. Example: "3/10: Too many enemies, not enough rings, cramped.." etc. Or "1/10: Recolor"

Or perhaps there should be a checklist of some kind, like a standard judging system people could use before they release thier wads. "Does my level have x, y, and z in it? Does it lack x, y, and z?"

It's not flamebait. It's direct. As long as accompanied by reasons that explain why it's utter crap. But it's not flamebait. It's wholly accurate.

In some cases, wads ARE utter crap. And in these extreme cases, the person should probably delete it and start over.

Shuffle said:
In some cases, wads ARE utter crap. And in these extreme cases, the person should probably delete it and start over.

People should be able to moderate the first post in their own topics, or lock their topic if they'd want to. They might be too late to realise their wad is pure crap and get flamed even if they already knew the point. They should then be able to delete their topic to avoid flaming.

I can see that being abused. I doubt it'd be a good idea to add such a mod.

I want you all to know, especially dark warrior, that I CAN take criticism.

Not being able to take criticism, and not wanting criticism but suggestions instead, are two different things.

Main Entry: constructive criticism
Part of Speech: n
Definition: criticism or advice that is useful and intended to help or improve something, often with an offer of possible solutions

Basically, constructive criticism and suggestions are the same thing.
WAD master, please stop trying to spread misinformation and shut up.

WAD Master, if you don't want people picking apart your WAD on this forum, then I have a simplistic solution for you:

Don't post it.

Otherwise, people can and will tell you what's wrong with it, trying to be HELPFUL so you can fix it. If you have a problem with that, do not post your work on the forums. Period.

I know that this topic hasn't recieved a reply for almost a month, but I have to say, when I post a WAD, I expect that there might be someone who dosn't like it. But that dosn't stop me from posting it.

And Mystic, I have to agree with you. If you don't want people "taunting" you because of your WAD -

Mystic said:
Don't post it.

It will only get you more stressed when you get bad comments. Luckely, I can deal with them to an extenct.

You forgot to do this: "Mystic" when you did the quote. I fixed it up for you. - Sonict

It's not 'taunting'. It's criticism. And really, you make it sound like it's something bad. It isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back