Pokemon:Black&White

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not exactly sure yet. I mean, the screenshots look incredible, but I'll wait until there is more released about the two games before I am to make a judgement on whether to be excited about them or not.

I hope there'll be a way to trade from DPPt and HGSS..
Nope!

With the way that new pokemon will be added, I doubt anyone would mind spending weeks upon weeks on a new system - that will most likely be half assed - that allows D/P/Pt to trade with Black and white, but not battle.

Nope!

With the way that new pokemon will be added, I doubt anyone would mind spending weeks upon weeks on a new system - that will most likely be half assed - that allows D/P/Pt to trade with Black and white, but not battle.

They did it with the first generation to gold and silver trading and that is for the same reason as this, they were on fairly similar systems that could connect with each other. And they will probably make certain pokemon from those games ONLY obtainable by trading from DPPT and HGSS to Black and White. I don't think battle would be possible though.

I recently heard that they might be shaking up the starter types, by making them Psychic, Fighting and Dark types, instead of the usual Grass, Fire, and Water types. I'm not sure if it is completely true, but if it is, I am definitely getting these games.

Last edited:
Am I the only one who's not excited about the teasers they've been showing? For me the highlight of Diamond and Pearl was competitive battling, and they better be changing up the battle mechanics for 5th gen. The new pokemon themselves might be enough to shake up the metagame, but I doubt it.

I'm excited because they are going with the fully 3D worlds.

Pokemon has been the same for like 10 years, I didn't really expect not that many things to be changed.

Well, BZ4, every generation so far we've had a massive metagame shift because the new Pokemon, moves, and game mechanics dramatically change the game. Just looking at the current metagame there is a ton of stuff from gen 4 being used. I don't think they'll make the mistake of making all the new stuff unplayable, so the metagame will have to change.

They haven't announced anything relating to gameplay yet, and they probably won't for a while, so we'll all have to wait to find out what new mechanics will be involved and we'll probably have to wait until release to find out just how good they actually are in competitive play.

Retro cross-posting for the win!

Am I the only one who would enjoy an "Ubergame" on Wii(2)? What I mean by that is:

• All 6 mainstream Regions (Kanto, Johto , Hoenn , Sinnoh, Orre, Gen-V-land) and maybe even Fiore and Almia (Ranger titles)
  • Some massive plotline extending through all regions. (Team Rocket/Aqua/Magma/Galactic/Snagem mega-team-up?)
  • Battle Revolution-styled battles (3D, Pokèmon actually attack instead of posing)
  • All Pokèmon available in-game, but must unlocked as Pokèdex is upgraded by conquering a League and moving on to the next Region.
  • Custom Trainer costumes a la PBR.
My good sir, I would kill for such a pipe dream of a game. Especially on that bold point.

[/LIST]
My good sir, I would kill for such a pipe dream of a game. Especially on that bold point.
Nintendo's best bet is to make a 480p version of Black and white for the wii, then it'd be like PBR with more mechanics in it.
I recently heard that they might be shaking up the starter types, by making them Psychic, Fighting and Dark types, instead of the usual Grass, Fire, and Water types. I'm not sure if it is completely true, but if it is, I am definitely getting these games.

They said that with D/P, and it wasn't true. I doubt it.

Nope!

Maybe not.
In previous game, if you faced a person with a different game. The game just used graphics from your game. (Sapphire users would see May as a girl in Leafgreen)

So that will fix the trainer problem. The battle system won't change that much, but you might be limited to use older pokemon. Not the new ones.

There's no real way to have PvP between generations because of how much the movesets changed. I doubt they'll do something like changing the statistics system again, but the changes to moves and other things would make play versus gen 4 pretty hard to implement.

They'll more likely implement some kind of way to import into gen 5, or trade between the two like they did in gen 1-2.

DSi will most likely not get love in this title. I see Pal Park in the mix.

Which is why I still have my DS Lite for any Pal Park transfers needed.

Still, I wonder what the battle system will be this time... the same? Different? Who knows... only time will tell.

Also depicted is a new one-stop Pokemon shop that combines the facilities of a PokeMart, Pokemon Center and Global Terminal into a single building -- the Pokemon equivalent of a Walmart Supercenter, you could say.
Oh, same battle system. But with real time shadows and adjusted sprites.

More importantly, it's still tile-based. You can see the NPCs moving in the same way as always, just in 3D.

Oh, great. I'm going to beat all 8 gyms and challenge the elite 4 with my rival getting in my way sometimes.

If this is the same, I'm not getting it. If it's different- different in a "Gale Of Darkness" kind of way, I wouldn't mind buying it. I just want things mixed up, and so far it fails to make me excited. All I see is a nicer looking overworld. Already I don't see a pokemon following you, and the battles STILL look 2-D based. They should make it look like Pokemon Stadium 2 or something, at least.
Chaos_Knux, your idea is beautiful but it won't ever happen. You could probably still trade on Wii, but it won't work as well- it's not as accessible as trading with a friend or stranger right next to you.

Pokemon's gameplay and style has not significantly changed in 15 years. I don't think those of you who are looking for a major departure from the series norms are going to be happy with what they're going to announce. Pokemon is not broken, and Nintendo has demonstrated time and time again they're not interested in fixing what's not broken and already a major money-maker.

Pokemon Black and White will entail talking a professor whose name is a species of tree to get a grass, fire, or water Pokemon to do battle with a huge amount of species of wild Pokemon, trainers, your rival, some evil and hilariously incompetent team, 8 gym leaders with various type themes to their team, the Elite Four and a champion that they always seem to think will surprise the player by existing. The game will then turn into a non-linear game encouraging the player to train their guys for PvP and max out a Pokedex by catching every species of pixelated creatures that speak in crappy synth square waves that the original Game Boy had no problem producing.

If you're not expecting what I just outlined, I'd say you're looking at the wrong game to look forward to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back