OpenGL Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSNCaleb

The rust is kicking in.
This isn't a ordinary problem, but I bet everyone has this problem as well. Now the problem: If I extending my screen size, black bars might be visible! Is there anyway to get rid of these "black bars?"

Use a resolution that matches the aspect ratio of your screen. SDL2 builds use a form of windowed fullscreen that scales the game resolution to your active screen resolution, and it uses pillarboxing/letterboxing to pad the sides out to avoid distortion. (By comparison, DD builds simply change the screen resolution to the resolution you're using, and most screens I've used - at least on laptops - will stretch and distort the screen by default. That's a horrendous default, by the way.)

One thing to note is the recommended "green" resolutions are all 16:10, and your screen is probably 16:9 in this day and age, so none of the resolutions that match your screen will match the recommended resolutions. But that's not as much of a problem in OpenGL since it just stretches everything anyway.

1280x720 is my screen resoulution... BUT STILL BLACK BARS!

EDIT:Until the problem is fixed, I'll use Software instead.

Last edited:
Software is better in all regards, as that was the way the game was built. You're better off playing like that

Then your monitor is really just kind of a bit broken, to put it simple. Or it's widescreen, but set to some 4:3 mode or such (putting black bars on the sides) while you're playing in a widescreen resolution (putting black bars on the top and bottom, to display the widescreen output in the 4:3 shape it has).

Is your game in fullscreen mode? Try typing "fullscreen on" or "fullscreen off" in the console and see what that does.

Black bars are not uncommon to the gaming world; they're simply there as a safety to any display mismatches. DooM was originally built to handle multiples of 320x200 and this was most effective on CRT monitors which could support such a mode. This is why you get black bars on Software with fullscreen, because the software rendering code just isn't capable of producing non-standard modes. On windowed mode, it'll show up fine.

This is why I play SRB2 in windowed mode.

ee4bf03b94.png

In OpenGL mode, you're able to more freely control the output resolution due to using a different graphics library, but when you take a screen-shot..

a11da0b083.png

You still get artifacts sometimes. Because OpenGL is basically an entire rewrite.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back