Sonic Mania

Status
Not open for further replies.
That screen stretching is absolutely atrocious. It was only tolerated in Sonic 2 because of hardware limitations. Pls fix.

I found this on a reddit post, and even this would have been better then the atrocious screen stretching that they are doing currently.
mnTZZ6v.jpg

Drop Dash, what a joke, shouldn't be allowed in a 2P Race, it breaks balanced because other character cannot do it.

Drop Dash, what a joke, shouldn't be allowed in a 2P Race, it breaks balanced because other character cannot do it.
Tails can fly, and Knuckles can glide and climb, both of which are extremely nice abilities to have when racing. Without a mid-air ability (such as the Drop Dash), Sonic is really just a taller worse Tails gameplay-wise (if you don't take super transformations into account, which probably don't occur in races). Plus, the boost of the Drop Dash only happens when landing, not immediately in the air, so it can't be used quite as effectively as a Speed Thok.

Edit: Speaking of the Speed Thok, if you're thinking about how Sonic is usually "the one to play as" in races in Sonic Robo Blast 2, you have to remember, there are less 90-degree turns to the left or right where it could be used to instantly change directrion in Sonic Mania, and there also seems to be a lot more vertical movement in Sonic Mania than in (vanilla) Sonic Robo Blast 2, where you won't be able to Drop Dash/Speed Thok as much without putting yourself at risk.

Last edited:

Yeah agreed. If they gave sonic a insta shield just like s3&k i think that is better.

@steel I would rather prefer that screen share anyday to the squish.

The problem is that Speedthok was never balanced for any of SRB2's Multiplayer game modes, It can be spammed to reach the end of the level faster than Knuckles and Tails, Same thing for Drop Dash.

Yeah agreed. If they gave sonic a insta shield just like s3&k i think that is better. -Snip-
Let me re-phrase myself (in case you were replying to me): A mid-air movement ability, not just a mid-air ability.

The problem is that Speedthok was never balanced for any of SRB2's Multiplayer game modes, It can be spammed to reach the end of the level faster than Knuckles and Tails, Same thing for Drop Dash.
Again, the Drop Dash only applies when landing rather than whenever one wants, which can make it less powerful than the Speed Thok, Sonic Mania doesn't feature as many 90-degree turns as Sonic Robo Blast 2 (due to the levels being 2-dimensional rather than 3-dimensional), which takes one of the reasons it's good (instantly turning around corners) mostly go away (of course there will still be times where one wants to completely go the opposite direction), Sonic Mania's levels are more vertical than Sonic Robo Blast 2's (which promotes the usage of Tails' flight and to an extent Knuckles' gliding/climbing, and makes the Drop Dash/Speed Thok less useful overall, since it only goes sideways and can't be used at all on walls). Not to mention it probably isn't quite as fast compared to running as the Speed Thok in Sonic Robo Blast 2, plus Tails and Knuckles (probably) run as fast as Sonic in Sonic Mania.

TL;DR: Sonic Mania's Drop Dash seems a lot more balanced race-wise than Sonic Robo Blast 2's Speed Thok to me.

The screen stretching is the only nitpick I have for Mania so far but really, it's for a mode I'm hardly going to touch. Also 6 days...

Hard to tell during the video, but Knuckles's acceleration seemed higher than Sonics during the beginning of the race when they were neck and neck. Drop Dash is also barely a level 1 spindash, it's there to maintain consistent speed, but it still can't beat out a quick burst. I doubt it will cause a balance issue.

It's worth mentioning that Sonic has always had slightly higher speed stats than the other characters IIRC. So that also needs to be factored in as far as character strength goes.
In Sonic 2, 3, & Knuckles, and 3 & Knuckles on the original Sega Genesis/Mega Drive, Sonic, Tails and Knuckles control exactly the same, the only differences being their mid-air abilities, sprites, Knuckles jumping a bit lower, and stuff related to their Super and Hyper forms (surprisingly, they do actually control a bit differently when Super/Hyper, according to this). My source for this is Sonic Retro's "Sonic Physics Guide", specifically the "Character Specific" section of the "Running" page. (Note that while that section is a child of the "Animation Rules" header, it states stuff not related to animation, and it seems to have only been put in the "Animation Rules" header by accident at a time where all sections of the page were moved around.)

Of course, that may not necessarily be the case for Sonic Mania, but considering how "faithful" it seems to be to the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive games, it would be very odd to me if that wasn't the case.

TL;DR: They have the same stats (except Knuckles' jump height) in the classic games.

Only exception to that is Sonic 3's 2 player competition mode, which does have the variances that a lot of people expect.

Guys, the opening movie animation is beautiful. Also,
Lava Reef and Hydrocity confirmed.

Last edited:
Seeing that opening brought back the same childhood nostalgia I first had when watching Sonic CD's opening for the first time. August 15th can't come soon enough!

They look so cute in that intro, It really makes me appreciate the Classic characters design.

Sonic mania PC is delayed. Release date is moved on August 29 2017.
Reason for that: Because it needs "optimization".

Compensation: if you preordered game then you get free copy of Sonic 1 Steam version (If you have already Sonic 1 on steam then you get it as Gift card for Trade or for friends and other abominations)

Have fun!

My Reaction:
HAHAHAHA, am I only one happy about it Sonic mania gets delayed for pc.
My reason for that is, because I am too lazy to do Saturn Models.
BYE *Zoidberg on run noices*.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sources:
https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/896047869773217797 and their god damn stream.

Last edited:
The delay is good for me. I was having issues pre ordering it in genreal and by the time i get it sorted i can get mania for pc. Yeah i could of got it for a console but im more on my pc nowadays as well as i dont own a console... yet ;)

Right now there is nothing the devs can do to tweak the game.

To be specific, the game is being sent out to game shops. If there are any issues they could recall all the games and delay the game entirety (hopefully this isnt the case).

Whoops too late! (well, for the PC verson anyway :P)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back