Greeneyes - v2.3.2 - Multiability ain't got nothin' on this! Feel the Heat!

Status
Not open for further replies.

D00D64

Probably Responsible
pjqloXE.png

The same Sonic that Dumbventure used, but his fur changes color as opposed to his shoes like normal.
It's just SonicRE with SonicCE spinning frames, no hookfeet frames, Knuckles' movement stats, and the Homing Attack...

Or that's how it started, anyway.

ef1LOTa.png

Now Greeneyes is one of the most ability stuffed characters in SRB2 history.

JUMP: Homing Attack
TOSS FLAG: LightDash
CUSTOM 1: Double Jump
CUSTOM 2: Speed Stomp
CUSTOM 3: Feel the Heat!

Yeah, that's quite a bit! The Homing Attack will hit the closest enemy or monitor in range, with the Double Jump... well, you know. You can use a Double Jump or another Homing Attack after hitting an enemy, but you can't use either ability after a Double Jump. The Speed Stomp sends Greeneyes plummeting super fast to the ground, allowing you to bounce off enemies super high too! If you hold it, you go right through enemies instead. The Lightdash allows you to follow trails of rings super fast, just by tapping the button near a line or group of rings. But be careful where you're going after you do that, because you're invincible when dashing, but not when you fling out of a dash at super speed!

Once more, Greeneyes has a Heat meter. When this meter is full, you can Feel the Heat! When you feel the heat, your stats increase slightly, you can run on water (if you run/land on the surface, not jump on it), your homing attack propels you faster, and the double jump sends you wicked high! You can also turn Super, and when you do, you have infinite heat meter, combining Super Sonic's stat boosts onto the Heat stat boosts! Feel the SUPER HEAT!

So yeah, from zzzro to hero, the new and improved Greeneyes! Give him a go!

The ZIP contains two wads: Normal Greeneyes, and SuperCar Greeneyes. SuperCar Greeneyes uses his car instead of going super.

Known Bugs: Greeneyes still uses his car to Lightdash with the normal wad. This isn't really a bug, more so that... I dont have a good lightdash sprite yet. Going super for lightdashing with THAT super hair is just jarring. He'd also go into car when getting hit by a super stunning turret, but I've yet to see that used...

Attachments

• srb20005.gif
    srb20005.gif
    1.4 MB · Views: 4,173
  • srb20076.gif
    srb20076.gif
    2.9 MB · Views: 4,933
  • srb20082.gif
    srb20082.gif
    4 MB · Views: 4,080
  • Greeneyes.zip
    238.1 KB · Views: 21,422
Last edited:
Neat, homing attack is actually quite interesting in the new THZ because it lets you immediately dive under the slime if there's a monitor there.

I never would have guessed this pillow-shaded monster would come back to haunt me like a bad case of Taco Bell. =P I'm glad he was of some use for your Dumbventure mod. Maybe a little LUA magic will give him some new life later on too.

I really have to say, this is quite the unoriginal character wad. but it does save me the time for someone to release a "Modern Sonic" Wad

But... its just "SonicRE" + "SonicCE" which equals "GreenEyes"

There is one REALLY big problem that is makes this sonic look really bad. The game's Metal Sonic is faster than GreenEyes' max speed. If the Sonic that 2.1 gives us is naturally faster than a sonic.wad, then I'm sorry, this wad has bad quality. Especially if the wad is a modern version of The Fastest Thing Alive!

It's never been as fast as normal Sonic. Deliberately so. It's supposed to be slower.

Because greeneyes. It was made for Dumbventure, which made Sonic slower on purpose to make him easier to control and encourage going out of the way to find things as opposed to just blasting forwards. It's pretty much just for the former now.

D00D (Pun intended), How are you supposed to beat an automatic moving object that is faster than you? The homing thok isn't getting you very far, and the spindash, oh god the spindash-- It's the weakest spindash i've ever seen, It reminds me of 2.0's old speed. The point is, a slower Sonic might be a good gimmick, but a bad way to have it finish the game. Is this supposed to be a joke wad?

Well, keep in mind that Metal Sonic is literally a ghost of Sonic. Sonic basically beats him because he has the thok, and Metal Sonic doesn't use it. Tails and Knuckles beat Metal Sonic because they are blatant cheaters. They HAVE to cheat to win. That's why there's a super obvious shortcut with speed shoes near the beginning. That's why there's so many obvious gaps you can cut corners with. Knuckles can even outright skip giant areas just by climbing a wall a bit between glides.

Greeneyes has none of these. He simply isn't built for power. Even if I did make his Spindash normal again and boost his speed to Sonic levels, its not gonna help as much as a thok would, or skipping pits would.

...However...

<D00D64-X> okay guys
<D00D64-X> serious question, but give me a quick answer
<Bbop800> no
<D00D64-X> should I give Greeneyes a boost meter?
<Scizor300> yes
<Rob> NO
<RoyKirbs> Maybe
<D00D64-X> ALL GOOD ANSWERS

So who knows? He IS Greeneyes after all.

A boost meter would be the only thing that this WAD should have as a "Special Ability" other than the homming attack.

Maybe the boost feature can be similar to the dash power that Sonic had in EggmanWay5 except it won't deplete rings. Probably not the best example but it's the only close thing I think we have to a boost feature that is not too powerful and works well in the game.

I think in terms of gameplay your wad is mostly fine. His raw stats are balanced, and the homing ability is strong in its own right. The problem is that his strengths are one-dimensional.

Greeneyes is designed for combat and close quarters, so his lack of mobility is understandable. As the Metal Sonic race demonstrates though, the lack of any speed options limits his overall viability as a character. I'm not sure if he can actually complete Azure Temple due to some of the jumps requiring spindashing or thokking.

What I don't understand is why your spindash is nerfed, since a spindash is designed to build up a speed boost; functionally, your version has no use on Greeneyes. A non-nerfed spindash won't make him as good as the other characters for dealing with Metal Sonic, but it will give him something to use to his advantage for situations that require a large amount of speed or distance. I think ultimately that's all he really needs -- a tool to counter-balance his non-mobile traits.

The reason for the spindash nerf is because Dumbventure nerf'd the spindash to make exploration somewhat less difficult... but I'll make it normal by the next update because yeah, he kinda needs it. I actually forgot all about the spindash nerf, so when 2.1 jacked up the default spindash power... well, he gets left behind.

love the spin cycle..sprite looks nice...
still probably wont use it. homing attack is HARD to use. maybe on net games.

I played with this wad and it's really good. The homing attacks feels much better now because of your improvements. But could you make the homing attack cancel all vertical moments that the character has just like the thock? I felt that using the homing attack when falling doesn't really save you. So it would be great if you could fix that. That aside though it's a really great wad.

The thok doesn't cancel out any vertical momentum either. It just looks like it does because the thok speed is so high.

Well, keep in mind that Metal Sonic is literally a ghost of Sonic. Sonic basically beats him because he has the thok, and Metal Sonic doesn't use it. Tails and Knuckles beat Metal Sonic because they are blatant cheaters. They HAVE to cheat to win. That's why there's a super obvious shortcut with speed shoes near the beginning. That's why there's so many obvious gaps you can cut corners with. Knuckles can even outright skip giant areas just by climbing a wall a bit between glides.

Greeneyes has none of these. He simply isn't built for power. Even if I did make his Spindash normal again and boost his speed to Sonic levels, its not gonna help as much as a thok would, or skipping pits would.

...However...

So who knows? He IS Greeneyes after all.
Isn't it possible to change the homing attack speed, so it works like a thok ?
A boost action would be good but I'd make a version that has spindash and homing(like sonic adventure) because adventure had green eyes too.

Alright, I updated GreenEyes, so here's the changes:

• His spindash max speed has increased from 40 to 100. I honestly didn't know the default spindash max speed was THAT much higher.
  • He now has a second ability, the generic but always handy Double Jump. Since Colors Sonic had it, and Pinkie Pie killed any chance of GreenEyes ever getting boost, I just used this instead. Basic, but effective.
  • I... think I tweaked his other stats? I'll be honest, I don't remember.

...So yeah, go get it.

Wow, these changes made a big difference. The double jump alone increases his versatility ten-fold, the spindash is just icing on the cake now.

I really like his new toolset. My only complaint is it's kind of weird having to bind "drop flag" to a new key. It'd be nice to see the double jump bound to spin or something.

Custom key would make more sense than 'drop flag', but still my problem with it is that I have to work an extra key into my controls, when it's more natural for me to think "secondary function? spin while in midair". Whirlwind's ability is mostly useless on him anyway, and manual armageddon isn't much of a concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back