Small 2.1 Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.
21gfz1-300x187.png

Ok, everyone, look right in front of sonic, there's a whirlwind shield, the pattern of the rings... It's obvious that you need double jump up to it. It seems too laid out for newbies, why not just put a big blue button with an "S" on it on the wall.

Last edited:
Interestingly the icon shields are going a là S3&K icons: what I see is what it has/does. If whirlwind shield monitor has a whirlwind icon, then I could guess:
- Attraction shield => magnet icon;
- Armageddon shield => bomb or nuke icon
- Force shield => a shield? meh...
- Elemental shield => a slime/chemical bubble

If not going so, I leave it as suggestion.

Looking forward to seeing the Medium 2.1 Preview.

Last edited:
Ok, everyone, look right in front of sonic, there's a whirlwind shield, the pattern of the rings... It's obvious that you need double jump up to it.
That's probably because it's the first level in the game and serves as a tutorial for features in the game.

It seems too laid out for newbies, why not just put a big blue button with an "S" on it on the wall.
For one thing, it's not "too laid out for newbies" when some of them have trouble with even finding the exit of the level.
And putting a blue button on the wall is a lame idea.

I wonder if it would be beneficial to have the control options to rename spin to spin/shield action. Though, I have to ask if Super Sonic is activated by jump + spin, since I forgot if that was changed recently.

And putting a blue button on the wall is a lame idea.
That was my horrible attempt at making a joke, of course its a stupid idea.
Moving on, I guess it does seem like a good idea for complete newbies, but most of the people around by now already know the simple stuff, I guess its better late then never...

The people we need to improve the beginning of the game for are the people who haven't discovered SRB2 yet and are about to, not the people here who have been playing since Demo 2. Of course the people who have been playing for years already understand what the game mechanics are.

Just because YOU understand the basic game mechanics doesn't mean the rest of the people joining the game do.

Also, yes, I agree about the problem with introducing players to jump-spin in general. It's hard to explain it to players without explicitly doing so and I really don't want to explicitly do so.

A quick question... will the Wind Shield's fall-off-the-edge action be changed to the Spin Button instead of the Jump button? Or will it remain as it is?

Sometimes when you attempt to jump you fall off the edge by mistake, and pretty much at that point you might of already wasted the 2nd jump of the Wind Shield when you meant to jump from the very edge of the area thus falling to your doom if there isn't any ground to save yourself.

Last edited:
Furthermore, if you're flying as Tails and you suddenly get tired while pressing the jump button, the wind shield kicks off and you start falling at normal speed, losing the chance to save yourself with flying mode's low gravity. I'm sure I mentioned this before but I'm not sure anyone paid any attention.

Actually, both spin and jump work for that jump, and have since 2.0. You can jump anytime you're not in your falling frames with the Whirlwind Shield. If you don't know about the feature it can definitely kill you the first few times, but after that it can be a lifesaver, especially in levels like NAGZ, where you're trying to do precision platforming and land on the platform with too much speed and fall off by just a tad. In those situations it's great for getting back on the platform and to safety if you have some quick reaction time.

The trigger when Tails is panting is a bug, though.

The trigger when Tails is panting is a bug, though.

Actually (tried to avoid using that word here, oh well :) ), I had that as a feature, so you could get a little extra height or cleverly use it to travel a little farther if correctly timed. However this post does not agree or disagree with removing it.

Yeah, I've found that particular feature of the Whirlwind Shield to bite more often than not when flying with Tails, and I would like that part of it to be nixed. However, I do find that extra jump when falling off a platform to come in handy sometimes, so definitely keep that, please.

Sidenote: My signature below SSNTails' signature = ftw. ^_^

Last edited:
! I'm waiting for 2.1 must be that there will be more things besides this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back