colored name and servername tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now, how do you REMOVE color text?
I mean by say if a join a Windows 7 Server and get "c failed" how do I get my name back to White?

Last edited:
Now, how do you REMOVE color text?

Here let me teach you snowy all about color names and how they work.

When it come to color names they can only be use in TXT or my favorite CFG format.

And they only work in windows XP. If you try using color names on other OS. Then it will C fail you. Even when joining another player server this will still C fail you.

When making a color name. You get your name set up like this in the TXT editor.

// SRB2 configuration file.
name "SnowFlake"

Then once you do that put one of the symbols i list below.

€ = White [Works only with Servername.]
† = Black [Works only with Servername.]
… = Pinkish red [Works only with Servername.]
‚ = Yellow [Works only with Servername.]
� = Purple [Works only with Servername.]
‡ = Orange [Works with name.]
ƒ = Green [Works with name.]
„ = Blue [Works with name.]
œ = White [Works with name.]

Now if your using windows 7 or vista. Then the purple color symbol wont show up at all.

Anyway put your name something like this in the TXT editor.

name "‡Sno„wFlƒake"

Now your name will be in colors.

But wait what if you want blue in the front and orange in the back?

Well just put it like this.

name "‡„SnowƒFl‡ake"

Now your name will show up with the color blue in the front of the name. All because of the orange symbol is first before the blue or green symbol.

Anyway in order to remember it. Go in console on SRB2 and put.

Name "SnowFlake"

And it will rename you back to your old name again.

I am extremely confused now, this used to work for my server and ever since I have accidentally overwritten my srb2 data, I changed it back but only purple works now.
Could somebody help and tell me why please?

I know that this is kind of an old topic, but I made my text and hosted a server and got immediately C-Failed. What should I do?

Not to beat down an old horse, but there are quite a few reasons why people enjoy coloured names:
- It gives them personality, to quite a few people. (Even the Doom community gets into this with Zandronum/Skulltag)
- It does in fact seem to let people extract a little more fun out of the game.
- It could help with identifying specific characters in role-play, like orange for Tails, blue for Sonic, and red for Knuckles.
- It could be easily hot-keyed, like seen in XSRB2 at some point.
- It could also represent the player's colour, like in SRB2Live.

There are also a few potential downsides to this:
- Confusion in CTF
- Changing names by colours only to spam name changes. (Could make it so that name changes by colour only don't show up. Then someone who's fancy could have a rainbowy name if they script it, I guess)

And some neutrals:
- People getting out of hand with colours is just people, it's just the same as when people like spamming. People are people and hosts are hosts, and it's up to the host to describe what is colour spam. Besides, I know a lot of people who could care less if someone uses a lot of colours in their messages.

I never got to put my input into this, so I thought I would here instead of making a new topic and making everyone look for this old one.

Last edited:
As stated by Inuyasha earlier in the thread, the removal of colored names is a bug fix, not a feature removal. You aren't supposed to be able to do it to begin with, and you already can't on some compilations of the same code. It also causes problems with readability, especially in CTF where color is actively relevant. Last I checked this is fixed in 2.1.

Last edited:
You sure about that, Bluecore? Last time I check, colored server names stopped working and shows up as blank on the master server page.

As stated by Inuyasha earlier in the thread, the removal of colored names is a bug fix, not a feature removal. You aren't supposed to be able to do it to begin with
I'm glad this is getting "fixed". I found most servers with color characters to be annoying anyways.

In some cases the game just outright ckicks you. I'm sure that it's because srb2 no longer supports colored names. At least not the MS, where it matters. (Server name colors still of course work.)

Why is this topic still around when it was already confirmed it gets fixed in 2 or so weeks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back