View Single Post
Old 02-02-2013   #23
Bbop800
hey

Well, it's about time! Now I finally have a reason to post in this MB again.

Nah just kidding.

Multiplayer votes will (hopefully) be done some time later (when I'm not lazy).

SINGLE PLAYER

Mad Gadget Zone > Gleaming Caverns Zone > Neo Canyon Zone > Fire Castle Zone > Eggslimer Battle Zone > Thawing Icecap Zone

Spoiler: Reviews/Comments
SINGLE PLAYER

Mad Gadget Zone by Simsmagic & Kyasarin

This was a rather disappointing map. It shows off quite a few ideas, but fails to expand upon any of them. This, along with a couple of nick picks I may add, make this a pretty mediocre level.
The 2D section was completely unnecessary and didn't add anything to the level whatsoever. There were a few jumps over a slime pit, a checkpoint, and that's it. Speaking of the slime, that’s one other problem with the map, it should have been translucent so that way you could actually see the rising platforms that emerge from it. It took me about 30 seconds to realize that there was actually a way to get to that higher platform in the section following the 2D part, since I couldn’t see the platform when it wasn’t above the slime. Also, like I mentioned earlier, you guys throw in a few ideas in there such as the fans and the gravity switching, but none of them seemed to be executed well enough. If you guys had expanded upon the gravity switching or the fans, then I think they could have been pretty neat gimmicks for a while (especially the gravity bit). The outer space part just before the goal, like the 2D section, felt completely pointless, as it was way too easy and didn’t really seem to add much along with the rest of the level. Overall, the level could have done so much more, but it instead ended up being far too underwhelming for my tastes.

Eggslimer Battle Zone by Boinciel & Prime 2.0

Why even bother posting this as a single player map in a level design contest? It’s literally a cut/paste boss from THZ with spikes around him in a rather boring and uninteresting map. There’s nothing else to say here.

Fire Castle Zone by Profesor Oak

And once again we have a level with the infamous “way-too-big-and-empty” syndrome. Well, aside from the absurd amount of enemies places around it, of course. The small cracks of lava that are randomly placed around the map are pointless since although they clearly serve as a hazard, I could just walk right around all of it. You also seem to have a thing for placing a CRAP-TON of enemies and an unnecessary amount of tumbleweed and other random visual Things that do nothing but annoy the player. There was absolutely nothing this level had to offer other than enemy spam and really easy-to-find “secret” areas in the level.

Gleaming Caverns Zone by 742mph

Not exactly bad, but not good either. While it’s nice that you actually put split paths into the map that adds more replay value, they all pretty much feel the same. Sure, you put in some 2D sections and a Knuckles path, but neither of them were executed very well. I don’t really understand why you made the translucent platforms destructible, as it does nothing but add annoyance to the player the first time you try to jump on one, especially if said player had 0 rings and falls to their death for no good reason, wasting a life. As for the visuals, the “gleaming” diamonds around the level don’t exactly mash well with the dull, greyish/brownish rock texture and floor. Not only that, but the “bright caverns” idea has been pretty overused at this point. But yeah, this level was okay overall.

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention is that there is a blank texture towards the left in the beginning of the level, you should probably fix that.

Neo Canyon Zone by Chrome

Not really much to say about this one. The visuals look fairly nice aside from some unfitting textures such as the sand-colored rocks. There isn’t really anything unique or interesting about this map as it seems to play it safe for the most part, although you most likely designed this with a “first zone” mindset, which is understandable. You should also fix the music, as it doesn’t loop properly. That’s pretty much it.

Thawing Icecap Zone by Scooby Doo

This map suffers from quite a handful of blatantly obvious issues which make me question whether or not you even thoroughly tested this map or not. You can easily find a wall lacking a thok barrier right behind the 1-up monitor in the very beginning of the level, which gives a bad first-impression of the level once you start it. Afterwards, there’s a diagonal spring under water that unexpectedly bounces you right over a platform and straight into a death pit if you don’t control Sonic so that you don’t fall to your death. Why are there lava and flares in an ice-themed level? Why the enemy spam? What the heck was even the point of that room with the ice floor that you could almost easily skip half of by jumping?

Well, I guess this proves that fictional cartoon dogs aren't very good at making maps after all.

Add me on Steam!

Last edited by Bbop800; 02-03-2013 at 03:45 PM.