• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

New special stage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm back

Hello, I've got almost all of them done now, only 2 left. (if any one would like to help PM me.)
download:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/6zx7os
Screenshots:
srb20002.png

srb20000.png

Tell me what you think! :D

Your CEZ stage is absolutely ridiculous in terms of difficulty and you need to tune it way, way down. There is absolutely no margin for error and that makes it absolutely unfun and aggravating.

You should not have rings until after the first two or three sets of bumpers. It is not possible for the player to see them.

Don't spread the rings apart literally in the middle and then at the very end in the following segment. It's insane to expect any player to be able to do that accurately. If you really, really want to do that, save it for SS7 and absolutely make sure that the player can still beat the stage without requiring literally perfect precision.

Make your ring requirement proportionate to the stage number and rings in it. 100 is absolutely ridiculous in SS4 here.

I can't really comment on SS5 because I can't tell if I'm not winning because I'm doing poorly or because the broken HOM sky is distorting my view horribly.

A major, consistent problem you are having here is that you are requiring players to get 2 columns of rings on a spring, and that is very, very hit or miss and you need to stop assuming that players are always going to do that. It's not going to happen and it's actually really hard for the player to set up to make that happen. Assume the players are going to get 1.5 columns average and plan your ring requirement accordingly.

Last edited:
Your CEZ stage is absolutely ridiculous in terms of difficulty and you need to tune it way, way down. There is absolutely no margin for error and that makes it absolutely unfun and aggravating.

You should not have rings until after the first two or three sets of bumpers. It is not possible for the player to see them.

Don't spread the rings apart literally in the middle and then at the very end in the following segment. It's insane to expect any player to be able to do that accurately. If you really, really want to do that, save it for SS7 and absolutely make sure that the player can still beat the stage without requiring literally perfect precision.

Make your ring requirement proportionate to the stage number and rings in it. 100 is absolutely ridiculous in SS4 here.

I can't really comment on SS5 because I can't tell if I'm not winning because I'm doing poorly or because the broken HOM sky is distorting my view horribly.

A major, consistent problem you are having here is that you are requiring players to get 2 columns of rings on a spring, and that is very, very hit or miss and you need to stop assuming that players are always going to do that. It's not going to happen and it's actually really hard for the player to set up to make that happen. Assume the players are going to get 1.5 columns average and plan your ring requirement accordingly.
Okay I'll make the ring count lower, as for the sky num I didn't even notice that because I was using openGL. :/

---------- Post added at 12:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 AM ----------

Here's a fixed version (and yes, I used software this time).

Last edited:
If you're going to do these types of special stages, I really think you should mix things up with how they play. Like some use the springs, and the other ones could use maybe the underwater air-propeller after it pushes you forward so you can grab rings on the left and right.

If you're going to do these types of special stages, I really think you should mix things up with how they play. Like some use the springs, and the other ones could use maybe the underwater air-propeller after it pushes you forward so you can grab rings on the left and right.
I would, but 2 problems. I don't know how it would play and, I would have to re-do them all.

I would have to re-do them all.

Well that's the thing about improving. You have to redo it. You'll need to go back over and over again to get better at it.

If you don't want to do something like that it's fine, but I just think that would make for an interesting change of pace.

Happy new years!!!

Happy new years! I've finished the 6th special stage just in time!
Screenshot:
srb20003.png

EDIT: Oops, I forgot to change the music. Here's a fixed version.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back