[Open Assets] SRB2 Halloween 2009

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Status
Not open for further replies.

glaber

Emblem Radar Ready
The time has come once again For SRB2 Halloween. This year is mainly a simple port to 2.0. There are some touch-ups, but don't expect any thing on the scale of Remix mode. This mod also now features OLDC level CastleTaina replacing Race Alley Zone.

Included are Classic versions of the Crawlas, Red XVI err some where in here, ghosts, and specters.
You will also see the 2.0 badniks in use as well.

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?0izjggryjnt
(Still too big for the attachments system, 10mb is bigger than 6mb)
Download still lives as of 2018

Screens:
{All screen shots had been deleted due to photobucket's throttling}

If you're wondering why DSZ's sky was used instead of CEZ, I though it looked like a Halloweenish version of Great Forest Zone's edited background.

Known bugs:

Hard code type:
1. If you go into the Level Select and back out of it with Esc, you get access to Pandora's Box. (Discovered in Acid Missie port confirmed for this mod)
2. If you compleate the game with less than 7 emeralds, go back and get emerald 7, you wind up with RobotniRock (EggRock) on your save and you get sent to RobotniRock (EggRock) act 3. (SRB2 hard code bug). Notice: SPSTAGE_END = 3 and RobotniRock still shows up.
Video of Bug: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaBrkA5OdDs
End result:
{EGG ROCK PICTURE with old Concept name}
Insert some words here. (Yes, I had a old save file of SRB2TP, used it, and well, you know...)
(Discovered in SRB2 The Past confirmed for this mod, and yes It's named Robotnirock in this mod too. How else are you going to tell when it's the unmoded game and when it's a mod in the screen shots?)
3. Collecting the emblems will sometimes trigger a hard coded script that says you've unlocked one of the official unlockables (Discovered in SRB2 The Past confirmed for this mod)

Last edited:
There was a lot of things that really irked me about this level pack. What I saw throughout the pack is a bunch of cramped areas, some cheap enemy placements and generally a sense of not knowing what to do or where to go. The last one is especially true of that sonic heroes level port, which brought back some bad memories for me. I also would have liked to see some of the stuff from the original srb2 halloween levels to be tweaked slightly (like fixing the overly cramped hallways). I think you should do some level design tweaks in your srb2 the past too, without going overboard and changing the entire level.

Nevertheless, I think this has some merit.

Haunted Manor is only based off of Hang Castle and Mystic Manor. Not a port of Mystic manor. If it was, there would have been more stop points and a zoom tube.

Last edited:
Sorry, I haven't played sonic heroes in a long time so my memory was fuzzy. The statement is still valid about it being very confusing to figure out where you are supposed to go. It is very maze like and relies way too much on button gimmicks.

I think it would be better if you used reverse gravity instead of teleports. Though, I guess you said this was a simple port.

Yes, the goal was to be a simple port. To use reverse gravity would, in a way, kill the illusion of flipping.

I do have plans of a total remake, but that's not happening for some time now. I still want to work on SRB2 Christmas Megamix mode before I "megamix" SRB2 Halloween.

(to anyone digging through old topics, Halloween Megamix never happened)

Last edited:
Well, I liked this mod. The last stage was great and your final boss (especially its setting) was genious. Aside from that, the rest of the mod plays like an old v.1.0.94 custom stage (labyrinthian level design, enemies everywhere), which isn't a gripe, exactly. While I appreciate the newer stage's focus on gimmicks, sometimes it's just satisfying to go robo blasting in, er, Sonic Robo Blast 2.

The only thing I'd gripe about is the relative lack of scenery. This is especially evident in White Halloween and the empty corridors of Haunted Manor. You could fix While Halloween by making more inaccessible scenery or a new decorative object (I'm thinking a barren tree would do quite nicely). For Haunted Manor, why not redo the hallway wall texture to have some extra colors (maybe you could have glowing candles, or, if you're really ambitious, grisly portraits). Other than that, great job.

This was a really fun and creative mod. The beginning of Mystic Castle actually felt like a dungeon. And Haunted Manor was incredibly creative, especially with the warping illusions, like the Blue Crawla paintings and the fake Egg Capsule.

This was a really fun and creative mod. The beginning of Mystic Castle actually felt like a dungeon. And Haunted Manor was incredibly creative, especially with the warping illusions, like the Blue Crawla paintings and the fake Egg Capsule.

It depends, if you call stealing a giant load of ideas from an official Sonic game original and creative.

Really, though, I didn't like this. Mostly because the levels you remade really suck (cramped, mazes, ugly, somewhat linear, bad enemy placement, flat), and you didn't try to improve on them. They really don't work in the current version of the game due to the new physics and controls.
Mystic Manor was annoying because of its needlessly boring enemy fights (which really don't work in SRB2 because there's no real fighting system) and some backtracking. It's also very cramped, repetitive, and the scenery repeats itself far too much.
The enemies were really unanimated and didn't add to the theme at all. Whenever I see a ghost, I don't see it as anything other than a Crawla, because it isn't anything but a Crawla.
Both the original and classic level designs are pretty lousy and lacking. The only thing I like is that Midnight Freeze's original song (which was removed for like, no reason) was brought back, and that the Crawla sprites returned.
Castletaina isn't a good level (it wasn't all those years ago, either) because of the small size. I didn't unlock whatever bonuses you put in here because I used EXITLEVEL to skip past the boring boss fights.

2.5/10

Sonic Heroes. Mainly the Crawla painting, not the Egg Capsule thing (Which I honestly though was cool, but let down by the easy boss...)

The entire switch idea was taken from it. So was the music and the scenery style.
@Glaber: It's based off of something, sure, but that doesn't excuse your execution from being terrible.

Mabye there should be some editing in here. It gets boring just doing the same thing EVERY YEAR. :/ Mabye more levels.

Or maybe fixing the current levels so that they are actually ENJOYABLE instead of having to deal with cramped passages.

Mabye there should be some editing in here. It gets boring just doing the same thing EVERY YEAR. :/ Mabye more levels.
This complaint would actually fit SRB2 Christmas better. This mod had only been released in 2006, 2008, and now.

Don't get me wrong though, there are plans for "Megamixing" this mod. (See the 2008 edition of SRB2 Xmas for what I mean by Megamixing) This year was mainly just to port the mod to 2.0.

This year was mainly just to port the mod to 2.0.
Don't you find it stupid to port a mod that everyone hated in the past, put it in the new version and simply don't change anything? Kinda lame, if you ask me. We are just playing the same horrible levels we did last year. 2.0 has new features to improve the levels, yet you didn't do anything to make any of them fun.

I think if we wanted to play SRB2 Halloween that badly, we'd download the actual game from the Archives section.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back