September/October 2014 Voting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just noticed this bit:
And yes, it's hilariously unfair when you're collaborating on a multiplayer map with six people. Even if our map was the worst garbage ever to be released to the OLDC, it would still be leading right now because it's four author votes vs. two non-author votes.

I'm actually okay with this being the case if it means that we get to see more collaborations pop up. The real end objective of the OLDC shouldn't be to determine "who is the best" but to get the community involved in SRB2 stuff, and joint projects do exactly this.

Last edited:
Well, thanks for the feedback Red, it helps a lot. I think I'm gonna redesign a lot of parts.
Anyways, CTF reviews coming soon :3

SINGLE PLAYER
1. Haunted Heights Zone by EvilEnternity3000
2. Ring Valley Zone by RedEnchilada
3. Mud Mines Zone 1 by "Lat'" and Ors

MATCH
1. Moonlit Island Zone by me
2. Dark Mansion Zone by BlasterGuy
3. Burning Oak Zone by Brawl

CTF
1. Evilflower Zone by Zipper, SpiritCrusher, Badz, me, RedEnchilada and r543
2. Eggflagsion by CoatRack
3. Industrial Starlight Zone by BlasterGuy

Single Player:

1. Haunted Heights Zone
2. Ring Valley Zone
3. Mud Mines Zone

And... I pretty much have nothing more to say that hasn't been said already. I guess there's one thing: EvilEnternity3000, I personally find platforming on conveyor belt platforms specifically unfun, not just challenging.

But yeah, that's it. Awesome work, all of you!

Single Player:

Ring Valley:

A cool level! I liked the thing where you have to collect rings for some parts AND that when you drop rings, they NEVER disappear, thus making the level easier. The boss... well... a little crazy actually. Maybe you should have instead make it a little more closer to Green Hill Zone's Boss, by making the movement from 3D... to 2D.

Haunted Heights:

Liked the music! And that act clear music... anyway, liked it that it was more of a, you know, Halloween level. So, the level looked pretty well designed! But just one thing.... I DID NOT FINISH THE LEVEL. Seriously, I got stuck on one part... and thats pretty much it.

Mud Mines Act 1:

So, you added your own lua, the Buff Gauge for a OLDC level again? Cool! Well, the level really... yeah. Got stuck here too. Plus I looked at DUDE's attempt... yeah, you should make the bouncy part easier. Plus, - AGAIN - you gave the lua a new cooler HUD! That is cool... but why don't you then release it for everyone else? Like then version 1.8 would be next.

Done with Single Player.

Single Player Rankings!

Ring Valley: 8.75/10
Mud Mines Act 1: 5.25/10
Haunted Heights: 4.50/10

Match:

Actually, don't really know the levels.

CTF:

Also don't know, but I DO remember EVILFLOWER ZONE! MWAHAHAHAHA!
...Anyway, it was a good example of how a bad version of Greenflower Zone would look like.

Done with CTF.

Evilflower: 8/10

That is all I have to say. Good luck to Ring Valley and Evilflower Zone!

Sorry, been so preoccupied with personal issues that I forgot there even was a contest. Here come my votes, MUCH later than usual.

Single Player:

Haunted Heights Zone > Ring Valley Zone > Mud Mines Zone 1

Match:

Moonlit Island > Dark Mansion Zone > Burning Oak

CTF:

Evilflower Zone > Eggflagsion > Industrial Starlight Zone

Haunted Heights Zone, by EvilEternity3000 - 10/10
Scared? Pshaw, I wasn't scared. I WAS TERRIFIED! Anyway, this is the most superb Halloween level I've ever seen. Stunningly creative enemies, great platforming challenges that keep you on your toes without overstaying their welcome (which is no mean feat for a level this big), and the graphics are delightfully dark in a Sonic-y kind of way. Gimme a second act, that big gate at the end is so clearly setting me up for a pure Halloween factory.

Ring Valley Zone, by RedEnchilada, - 5/10
Hmmm, what do we have here? A ring hunt? Well, the level isn't too inventive in terms of mechanics and puzzles but it's enjoyable enough with the original content it does have. Visually it's also solid but unambitious (although I loved that sun glare effect). All in all, aggressively average in all counts, despite its dramatic overhauling of the ring system. I suppose when you build a level that modifies a core mechanic, just making the level not suck is a nice achievement in its own right, so congrats.

Mud Mines Zone 1, by "Lat" and Ors, - 4/10
I get what you're trying to do here...the level progression with that nifty little level-up Lua script. But you just haven't managed to pull it off. The level is just so much hallway running, the custom enemies aren't that inspired, and the mud friction isn't really used for anything interesting (incidentally, since when is that rock texture used for mud?) The level was visually unappealing and some of the outside areas were downright garish. Finally, I can't help but ask: at that first checkpoint, why exactly is Eggman piping mud into a furnace? Is he baking mud pies?

Moonlit Island, by Spherallic - 7/10
There's nothing in here that screams "Sphere did this", the way Seraphic Skylands did. But it's pretty enough and it offers well-balanced battle strategies. Maybe it's just me, but I've always loved these maps that juxtapose themes of tranquility with multiplayer battle.

Dark Mansion Zone, by BlasterGuy- 4/10
Meh, aside from the gimmicky bathroom with the big tub, there's nothing in this one that we haven't already seen in Thunder Citadel. Good lord, that one central room is dark...It's not really fun if no one can aim. And most of the rest is just empty hallways.

Burning Oak, by Brawl - 2/10
This level is a prime example of how skyboxes might NOT always add value to a level. Aside from being quite ugly, this one made it bloody hard to tell what was and wasn't an actually reachable platform. That means players sometimes leap for a platform that is actually in the skybox and end up jumping straight into a bottomless pit. When you build a skybox, you MUST make sure it won't trick players in this way, preferably by making it look demonstrably different from the foreground. Other complaints: the rings are clumped together in ways that make no sense, and the torch flames everywhere are annoying, and the death pits are so deep that you have to wait to die.

Evilflower Zone, by Zipper, SpiritCrusher, Badz, Spherallic, RedEnchilada, and r543 - 8/10
Wow, I don't think there's ever been a level made with that many coauthors before. Anyway, I loved this one. There were all sorts of different ways to mix and match a path to the base, and that encourages clever strategy. I expect to see you all pair up again to create more levels in the future, or I will be sad.

Eggflagsion, by CoatRack - 5/10
It's, uh...really small. And dark. But it doesn't look half bad and I'm not averse to a level that forces chaotic firefights every now and then. Just add more content...I'd have loved to see an outside area with a sky that creepy.

Industrial Starlight Zone, by BlasterGuy - 3/10
There are two key problems with this one. First, the main area is completely devoid of any cover...skilled players should be able to weave in and out of obstacles to shake off those giving chase or to confuse those seeking to avoid you, but there are no such obstacles to speak of. Second, the alternate paths in the bases are way too long and also empty. But at least the level works as intended...that's something.

Also:
As far as I'm aware, you're the first one in this community to do vertically moving conveyor belts. It's strange if you think about it; conveyor belts and vertically moving platforms are some of the oldest gimmicks in this game, so you'd think somebody would have thought of combining them by now, but apparently you are the first.
Actually it has been done before, but there's a perfectly good reason you wouldn't know that: it was in Spacewalk Zone.

Last edited:
Single Player
Haunted Heights Zone by EvilEnternity3000
Ring Valley Zone by RedEnchilada
Mud Mines Zone 1 by "Lat" and Ors

Match
Moonlit Island by Spherallic
Dark Mansion Zone by BlasterGuy
Burning Oak by Brawl

Capture the Flag
Evilflower Zone by Zipper, SpiritCrusher, Badz, Spherallic, RedEnchilada and r543
Eggflagsion by CoatRack
Industrial Starlight Zone by BlasterGuy

@Fawfulfan

Originally, the red bouncy mud was supposed to be burning mud.
And I then decided to make it bouncy. It sill looks like burning mud anyways.

Also, the normal mud was supposed to be chocolate to help eggman baking evil pies that can kill sonic with burning chocolate

Here are my votes. I won't make reviews this time, everyone else said everything needed.

Singleplayer:
1. Haunted Heights Zone by EvilEnternity3000
2. Mud Mines Zone by "Lat" and Ors
3. Ring Valley Zone by RedEnchilada

Match:
1. Moonlit Island by Spherallic
2. Dark Mansion Zone by BlasterGuy
3. Burning Oak by Brawl

CTF:
1. Eggflagsion by CoatRack
2. Evilflower Zone by Zipper, SpiritCrusher, Badz, Spherallic, RedEnchilada and r543
3. Industrial Starlight Zone by BlasterGuy

Oh god, I'm only reviewing single player levels because co-opness.

3rd Place - Mud Mines Zone by "Lat" & Ors
A nice level spruced up. Better than what I make and has intresting features, but isn't as well crafted or custom as the other 2.
5/10

2nd Place - Ring Valley Zone by RedEnchilada
Along with the beautiful sky and sun (AH GAD SUN FLARE) it is a good crafted gimmick level with non-disappearing rings. But that Eggman Boss.
9/10

1st Place - Haunted Heights Zone by Evilenternity3000
I didn't play through all the level since I got stuck but jesus this is good! With Evil in your name ofcourse you can nail the head on halloween with halloween type enemies that are not even badniks. Also coming with great custom textures and flats. This wins my 1st place spot.
9.5/10

Here are my votes. The things with these maps have pretty much been mentioned already.

***(Single Player)***

Map: Haunted Heights Zone
Author: EvilEnternity3000

==========

Map: Ring Valley Zone
Author: RedEnchilada

==========

Map: Mud Mines Zone 1
Author: "Lat'" and Ors

Okay guys, just as a reminder: the deadline for voting is tomorrow - November 15, 2014 at 7 PM local time in the Eastern time zone of the United States.

To my knowledge Mystic is currently absent for the time being, so it's probably going to be Prime 2.0 giving the results this time I believe?

Single-Player
Haunted Heights > Ring Valley > Mud Mines

Match
Moonlit Island > Dark Mansion > Burning Oak

Capture the Flag
Evilflower > Eggflagsion > Industrial Starlight

Circuit
Evilflower > everyone

Singleplayer
If you really want to hear what I like/dislike, join #Kartkrew and ask me there.

Single-Player

I'm a little busy, so no multiplayer.

Last edited:
Single Player:

Match:
Moonlit Island > Dark Mansion > Burning Oak

Capture the Flag:
Evilflower > Eggflagsion > Industrial Starlight

Voting is now over, but due to my current need to obtain better gear I'll be a bit late in publishing official results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back