Antiland [s_Antiland_v1.1.1.wad]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ors

Custom User Title
Tribute to Antichamber!
Hello! This is Antiland, a big labyrinth that always leads you into the same point. There´s secret rooms and crazy tubes that make you go even deeper at the labyrinth (and lead you at the starting point). There´s 7 hidden emeralds and you need them all to make exit work. (You have to find the exit first)

RULES:
1. Don´t use OpenGl! This is the most important rule! OpenGl would spoil some hidden places
2. Don´t say there´s impossible parts if you´re not totally sure! Remember this: Even if you get stuck into the endless tubes or simple rooms that seem impossible, there´s always the way out.
3. HAVE FUN!

Changelog:
v1.1:
Fixed bugging warp
Fixed some texture offsets
v1.1.1:
Fixed bugging teleport

Attachments

• srb20026.png
    srb20026.png
    8.3 KB · Views: 709
  • srb20025.png
    srb20025.png
    8.8 KB · Views: 660
  • srb20024.png
    srb20024.png
    8 KB · Views: 642
  • srb20023.png
    srb20023.png
    7.5 KB · Views: 677
  • s_antiland_v1.1.1.zip
    196.3 KB · Views: 627
Last edited:
This is brilliant and very very clever.

The less you know about this wad going in the better, so just take a dive and play the wad before reading the rest of the thread if you haven't already.

That was pretty weird. In a good way.

I liked how the silent warps worked to make sure you were always looking back where you went. The whole "turn around to find an emerald" bit probably would have gotten old, but making sure it wasn't the entire puzzle (aside from one emerald) really helped keep that from happening. It's definitely not the kind of level one would "expect from an SRB2 map" or something like that, but I don't consider that a bad thing. It's nice to see something that does something completely different than the norm and succeeds at it.

As far as personal gripes, the only one I have is that a few of the warps didn't feel seamless compared to the others, which killed the immersion for me at points. Mainly in the light blue emerald room. They were never noticeable when the warp being seamless mattered, though.

There are also a few bugs with the warps. In the white emerald room, jumping down the wrong pit will send you into an empty spot in the map, which definitely needs patched somehow. I also managed to get stuck in a wall or something while exiting the light blue emerald room once, which might be fixed by dividing the teleport chunks up more or something. I dunno.

Nice trick at the end, by the way. I actually didn't even solve that properly; I'd convinced myself it was impossible to reach the goal before looking in SRB2DB and noticing the fake thok barrier could be stood upon.

Thanks for telling your oppinion!
That was pretty weird. In a good way.

I liked how the silent warps worked to make sure you were always looking back where you went. The whole "turn around to find an emerald" bit probably would have gotten old, but making sure it wasn't the entire puzzle (aside from one emerald) really helped keep that from happening. It's definitely not the kind of level one would "expect from an SRB2 map" or something like that, but I don't consider that a bad thing. It's nice to see something that does something completely different than the norm and succeeds at it.

As far as personal gripes, the only one I have is that a few of the warps didn't feel seamless compared to the others, which killed the immersion for me at points. Mainly in the light blue emerald room. They were never noticeable when the warp being seamless mattered, though.

There are also a few bugs with the warps. In the white emerald room, jumping down the wrong pit will send you into an empty spot in the map, which definitely needs patched somehow. I also managed to get stuck in a wall or something while exiting the light blue emerald room once, which might be fixed by dividing the teleport chunks up more or something. I dunno.

Nice trick at the end, by the way. I actually didn't even solve that properly; I'd convinced myself it was impossible to reach the goal before looking in SRB2DB and noticing the fake thok barrier could be stood upon.

I have to fix at least one warp I just noticed.... But wrong pit in white emerald room? I thought there's only one pit...

Last edited:
So yeah, in general I agree with everyone else posting here so far. The whole concept is clever (though not actually entirely new, but you made good use of it regardless), and there aren't really many noticable flaws to be found at all.

Also anyone who figures the whole thing out first time without cheating with devmode or SRB2DB etc deserves a medal, this is probably the best new challenge for SRB2 I've seen in a long time.

Last edited:
Thanks for telling your oppinion!

I have to fix at least one warp I just noticed.... But wrong pit in white emerald room? I thought there's only one pit...
Er, the room leading to the white emerald. The pit in the room as you go in the first time works fine, but if you go to the alternate room and jump down the black light there, it bugs out. The one at map coordinates 1984, 7040 is the pit I'm talking about.

Er, the room leading to the white emerald. The pit in the room as you go in the first time works fine, but if you go to the alternate room and jump down the black light there, it bugs out. The one at map coordinates 1984, 7040 is the pit I'm talking about.

Thanks, I fixed this and released more finished version (v1.1)

So... this one took some time to do and once you do figure out what to do it's pretty clever, but...

After getting all the Emeralds and going to the 'not exit' as a user calls it. *The one with the red X with a white orb around it.* I was told that it's suppose to teleport you to the final area if you have all the emeralds but it doesn't do anything and going into devmode shows 'Tag 152 triggered' but that's all it does. Looking in doombuilder it takes you to tag 153.

Seeing as I was stuck I noclip'd into the final area with a white light telling you to "Try again faster" and notice you can go on top of the suppose to be thok barrier but if you overshoot this... you will be stuck in a pit. Looking into Doombuilder there's a tag for a teleporter to send you back to tag 153 and it appears to be a Invisible FOF with Tag 169.

I downloaded v1.1 and if I recall... I was told that in a old version those warps worked correctly. Not sure if it's only just me but another user was having this issue as well.

What, are you telling that all the teleports didn't wok? Are you sure? That worked well for me...

I can confirm this. The teleport in question worked in 1.0, but it no longer works in 1.1. I have no idea why, since it doesn't seem like you changed anything, but you can fix it easily by making it a relative teleport like the rest.

Let's start a record list!

Hey, why don't we start posting our records here? That could make this wad interesting...
My record for now is 2:56. Don't forget to post your proof!

Attachments

• srb20004.jpg
    srb20004.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 561
Hey, why don't we start posting our records here? That could make this wad interesting...
My record for now is 2:56. Don't forget to post your proof!
Very cool idea and good time! But please, use Sonic or at least beat the game as Sonic before making Tails/Knux times! My time beats yours but I can't prove it yet... I have to do the same in time-attack. I totally want to compete, your time was good start for Tails.

Last edited:
It's not like a screenshot is remotely useful proof of a time attack record anyways. It's pretty trivial to edit an image.

It does? I never tried it... Wait where is the feature?
The commandline option -record [demoname] paired with -warp [mapnumber] will record a demo of a play session to a file named after the demo name you chose, with the .lmp extension added automatically. -playdemo [demoname] will let you play it back. You can use this in the manual parameters field of the srb2net launcher if you don't want to bother with the command prompt(not to be confused with the console). The +skin [skinname] argument can be used to change which character is used in the demo.

For example, to start recording as knuckles, you would write out:
srb2win.exe -record antilandrun -warp 1 +skin knuckles

...and then to play it back afterwards, you'd write:
srb2win.exe -playdemo antilandrun +skin knuckles

Note that the warp command is not needed to specify the map when playing the demo back, but that the +skin command is required to specify character. If you're just writing this out in srb2net, you don't have to include "srb2win.exe". Additionally, the demo will continue recording until you exit the game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back