2.2 Preview - With Slopes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's nothing to improve with Meadow Match because it's not fixable. Slopes or scenery or whatever aren't going to change what the stage is: a box with shit in it.
Just because it can't be up to date level design wise doesn't mean it can't be up to date aesthetics wise. It uses the same set of graphics as GFZ, so I'd imagine it's at least getting the updated skybox. While we're on the topic of Match maps, are Tree Ring, Midnight Abyss, Airborne Temple, and Zims Base from v1.09 ever getting brought back and revamped?

Just because it can't be up to date level design wise doesn't mean it can't be up to date aesthetics wise. It uses the same set of graphics as GFZ, so I'd imagine it's at least getting the updated skybox. While we're on the topic of Match maps, are Tree Ring, Midnight Abyss, Airborne Temple, and Zims Base from v1.09 ever getting brought back and revamped?

I would like to see Tree Ring and Airborne Temple return. I always loved those maps.

I dunno. Working with a small player count doesn't necessarily mean the stage is good.

"Good" depends on the objective you're trying to accomplish. Most match stages are too labyrinthine for a two-player match -- most of the time they'll just get lost trying to find each other. Simple battlegrounds mean it's easy to keep track of the other player's location and keep the fight flowing. As far as actual stage design goes, it's pretty well-rounded; there's a lot of open space, but there's high ground, low ground, cover, etc. The imbalances it does have can be easily improved upon with some minor stage tweaks.

Not quite related to the discussion of this preview, but I noticed this preview hasn't been in an announcement on the Steam group for Sonic Robo Blast 2. Which I think isn't intended, considering it has announcements for the "2.2 tidbit trio" preview and even the "public source code migration". Just thought I'd mention it.

So is there a limit to how high or low a slope's elevation can be?
Not beyond the actual map limits (like whatever the maximum height variation a map can actually store is)... but if the angle exceeds more than, say, 70-80-ish degrees, you'll very quickly move backwards down the slope instead of upwards if you run into the slope.

You probably shouldn't have slopes that are steeper than 1 horizontal fracunit per 32 vertical fracunits, it's pretty unstable beyond that (and looks pretty ridiculous). Slopes can be completely flat, though.

"Good" depends on the objective you're trying to accomplish. Most match stages are too labyrinthine for a two-player match -- most of the time they'll just get lost trying to find each other. Simple battlegrounds mean it's easy to keep track of the other player's location and keep the fight flowing. As far as actual stage design goes, it's pretty well-rounded; there's a lot of open space, but there's high ground, low ground, cover, etc. The imbalances it does have can be easily improved upon with some minor stage tweaks.
Eh, I haven't played SRB2 in years so my opinion probably isn't as valid. I just don't recall enjoying it as much as the other maps.

So is there a limit to how high or low a slope's elevation can be?
The physics and collision get really weird and strange and don't work properly if you go above 45 degrees in either direction (~60 if you have the ramp sector special applied). Visually, walking up anything more than 30 will look really strange in most cases anyway, but for decorative stuff that you'll never touch you can do just about anything. I'd avoid super-steep slopes, though.

But a little break in-between the slopes that's good? Like slope, a bit of flat floor, then slope again?

Man I remember when you had to have OpenGL for this function back in SRB2CB.

Edit: I meant as in, you go down a slope thats as deep or high as the game will allow without glitching up, and theres a sector that's tiny to give the illusion that the slope is continuous.

Last edited:
No, that's not how it works. The problem is the angle you move at. If you move more than 24 (48 with the ramp sector) units per step (where movement is broken up into steps up to 16 units long in each dimension), the game treats it like you're walking either into a wall or off a ledge. It's not something I plan to fix, because slopes that steep have other issues anyway.

I can't wait to be able to abuse slopes in Speed-Runs.

In all seriousness, this is a pretty phantasmal upgrade. You have some amazing coders to actually get properly working ZDOOM slopes in there. My personal favorite is the new CEZ, it has its own flavor to it now.

Meadow Match will get visually updated over my dead body.
All you really need are some objects and slopes to hide behind, or maybe a range of textures.

Last edited:
What wizardry did you guys do to get slopes working in Software, anyway? Is there any chance similar wizardry might be able to one day increase the 35 FPS max?

Is there any chance similar wizardry might be able to one day increase the 35 FPS max?
There have already been publically released "uncapped" builds of Sonic Robo Blast 2 on the message boards a while ago. Unfortunately not updated, I think. It could go up to 60 frames per second (maybe more?). However, the smoothing of objects' movements had to be done manually object by object, so not all objects were smoothed correctly beyond the 35 tics per second.

But to answer your question... While I'm not a developer for the game, I'd be very surprised to see the default frame-rate of vanilla builds increased... since the whole game pretty much relies on doing stuff every 1/35 of a second, so it's of course ideal to use 35 frames per second.

How about the devs focus on SP first so that is ready for release.

Then in a future update to focus on other aspects of the game, such as visual diffrences and bugs fixes.

Im just supposing. :T

Singleplayer campaign levels , and Multiplayer features to be more specific since there's nothing wrong with the current Multiplayer levels , It's just Multiplayer mode isn't that comfy .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back