[Open Assets] Character Ability - Jump Thok: Modifiable Version (v2.3)

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.

wolfs

Watch Symphogear
Administrator
Sonic Team Junior
Kart Krew™️
Judge
For those unaware, the Jump Thok ability has recently been added into the game as CA_JUMPTHOK. This version exists in case anyone wants to make modifications to the ability itself or as a means of avoiding the hardcoded behavior since the balancing was changed somewhat.

Old description:
Back from SRB2 Riders and TopDown is the Jump Thok, a more balanced variation of Sonic's regular thok for racing that brings a medium between a double jump and a thok. This script serves as a fully featured character ability, including support for super forms, multiple colors, and custom thokitems. A homing version is also included along with the default version.

Screenshots:

srb20014.gif

Practicality!

srb20015.gif

Proper momentum balancing for 2D mode and color switching!

srb20020.gif

Homing!

Note: The Jump Thok in this script is based off of the TopDown version, meaning that you remain in spin frames after ability use rather than switch to fall frames. You can enable the fall frame switch by removing the comments designated for it near the end. Numerous other balance features remain commented out in code as well.

Version 2.3
  • Rewrote both scripts under the AbilitySpecial hook
  • Fixed an issue where the player was able to thok on the ground
  • Added quicksand compatibility (thanks to AbilitySpecial)
  • Overhauled the homing script to remove the recoded homing behavior used, fixes the issue with monitors launching you too far after homing attacking them
  • Removed the actionspd limiting behavior from the homing script
Version 2.2 (unreleased)
  • Fixed an issue regarding incorrect thok mobj colors
  • Corrected an issue where the Riders fall code would not function properly with the homing script
Version 2.1
  • Quick fix. Corrected a bug with the optional Riders fall code.
Version 2.0
  • The ability was entirely rewritten thanks to Sryder13! With it comes more stability.
  • Custom thokitems are now fully supported.
  • Jump Thok now uses the player's attacksound instead of the default thok sound, meaning custom characters will hear their custom thok sounds.
  • Bugs involving ropes/item hanging should now be fixed.
  • New balance options have been added into the comments.
  • The fall frame switch from Riders has been added and can be enabled by uncommenting it from the code.
Version 1.0
  • Initial Release.
  • Nothing for now!
Remember, if you find a bug, please do not hesitate to report it.

LightDash.org Mirror

This ability is free to use and edit as long as proper credit is given. Have fun!

Attachments

• srb20021.gif
    srb20021.gif
    7.2 MB · Views: 1,644
  • JumpThokAbility.zip
    2.2 KB · Views: 1,626
Last edited:
I sometimes wonder how different the community's perspective to the game's awful balance would be if Sonic originally played like this. Maybe regular race mode would have still been a thing? Hah!

Gonna ship out an update for this later today. Fixes issues with custom attack sounds so that you don't always have the thok sound no matter what. A port of the homing version of the jump thok will also come in the same update.

EDIT: Update will release tomorrow.
EDIT2: delayed to "when it's done" for various reasons

Last edited:
I sometimes wonder how different the community's perspective to the game's awful balance would be if Sonic originally played like this. Maybe regular race mode would have still been a thing? Hah!

Circuit's problem was that it was overcentralized around horizontal mobility. Jump thok partially solves that, but it just gives Sonic more platforming leniency in return.

I've ran into a bug with Jump Thok, but I don't know how to replicate it. On some circumstances, you'll be able to thok twice in a row before landing. IDK what causes this though.

I like this for the same reason I like Hinote's flare jump. It's just really good feeling for platforming, and it allows for more recovery from mistakes than the default thok. Plus, upward momentum is great to screw around with in water physics.

Hinote's flare jump literally is the upward thok, just with less air and less vulnerability when landing. If she gets ported this is what I would have expected her to have.

After playing this for a bit, I'd have to say the jump thok is far and away more powerful on Sonic than the regular thok. The extra jump itself trivializes a lot of platforming, but the horizontal speed in tandem is just enough to be useful for all sorts of repositioning and juking.

Circuit wouldn't change for shit. The thok speed may be lower, but that doesn't matter when it's on the already fastest character in the game. All it means is that good Sonics would be taking advantage of different platforming shortcuts and bad Sonics would die less.

ALSO BUG: This ability activates whenever Sonic is on a CEZ swing.

Last edited:
ALSO BUG: This ability activates whenever Sonic is on a CEZ swing.
Will be fixed in next update. I'm also planning on adding an optional Riders version that includes the fall frame switch.

Update!

The jump thok has been updated with a new homing script, some commented bonuses you can enable, and an entire recode done by Sryder13. Seriously, it was mostly his work. :P

Refer to the changelog in the first post for more details.

Love this, but I think that the jump thok is too big. Is there an option that I missed in the Lua file?

Minor update, please redownload. Re-fixed the itemhang/macespin bug.

Hey Wolfy, i just figured out that when i added your jump-thok and my super peelout, that it makes sonic one of the most balanced characters i have ever played as. if only this was his default play style.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back