A Trio of 2.2 Tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing's been decided yet. There's actually still quite a bit to be done toward "completing" the game, including a fair amount of post-game content, so really anything could happen. Besides, isn't it much more fun to constantly have something to look forward to? C:

There's been lots of discussion in the dev team about what to do about DCZ and GEZ. The consensus is that we all want them, but whether or not that happens is up in the air.

Will there be any new gametypes for the game, or better yet, making an offline-multi-player-client-friendly type of game mode? (Like per say, Chaos mode with the tails bot or something like that?) It sucks to have no competition with yourself especially if you have bad internet or no friends that appreciate srb2 like an average srb2 player would.

Dark City and Grand Eggship zone gives me high expectations. I know it's not clarify whether they would be in the next version or not, but I'm hoping. Also, I thought that Grand Eggship suppose to be like the wing fortress, until I read over that it will take place in space.

Dark City and Grand Eggship zone gives me high expectations. I know it's not clarify whether they would be in the next version or not, but I'm hoping.
It's extremely unlikely. The completion of ACZ and RVZ takes precedence over DCZ and GEZ, and as Mystic said previously, the plan is to release 2.2 when ACZ is finished. That still leaves RVZ to be completed before DCZ and GEZ are even started.

feb15b.png

OH MY GOD! This is very amazing! Full details! This map made me excited to play this (when is released)

The plan is to release when ACZ2 and ACZ3 are complete. This would still leave RVZ's completion up to a later version. The thing is, the plan was to release 2.1 when CEZ2 and CEZ3 were completed. That...didn't quite happen and 2.1 ended up with a lot more content than we imagined would be in it. Hence, the reality of what 2.2 will actually contain is anyone's guess at this point.

So, since 2.0, it's been one new stage at a time? Kinda makes sense, given how much changes between each release, even the existing single player maps. That complete overhaul of Techno Hill still amazes me.

It's extremely unlikely. The completion of ACZ and RVZ takes precedence over DCZ and GEZ, and as Mystic said previously, the plan is to release 2.2 when ACZ is finished. That still leaves RVZ to be completed before DCZ and GEZ are even started.

Personally, I'll consider the game "complete" when Arid Canyon and Red Volcano Zones are done. The other two zones happening would just be a bonus, if they ever do.

There's so little talk of them anyway, that I don't know what I'd be excited for about them. Their themes have also already been played with in user-made maps too.

While development on new content has been slow due to all of the patches to 2.1 last year, we've finally progressed to the point where we can show off at least a few tidbits of what's upcoming for version 2.2! Like every preview we post, things shown off here are subject to change before release.

feb15a.png

Here's a shot of the work-in-progress copy of Arid Canyon Zone Act 2. While a lot of the details are still in need of filling in, the stage is coming together quite nicely and expands on some of the concepts from Act 1 while adding a new gimmick for a little more variety.

feb15b.png

Deep Sea Zone has been a sticking point to a lot of players since its release along with 2.0. While it's a lot less far along in development than ACZ2, DSZ is getting a proper revamp to fix a lot of the problems in its initial release, including some completely new content and lots of new texturing.

feb15c.png

2.2 expands on including some of the best content from the Official Level Design Contest as vanilla unlockables. If you've entered into the OLDC in the last few years, you might want to keep your ears open. We might even want to include your stage as well.

STOP. STOP IT. STOP TAUNTING ME

Good god! I never thought I would live to see 2.2. And... how much time has passed since 2.1's release? It feels like yesterday...

Anyways, I'm so happy to finally see some of ACZ 2. But... Deep Sea Zone... is that you? It looks marvelous, much better than any other version now. And that spindash animation OH GOD. It looks SO damn good. Welp, at least I have something to hold on to while I struggle through 2015.

This is starting to get interesting.

Last edited:
Let me ask, have there been any attempts to improve the netcode since 2.1's release?

Well the netcode was "improved" with 2.1.x releases over time, it makes it less shitty than the original 2.1.0's one. (Unless I'm wrong)

I didn't even got the minimum moment to test out the new netcode optimization since 2.1 release, servers don't even appear on list, not even on all rooms option. AND when I got the opportunity to play an online match, I ended up receiving 5 fps from my side, and I think someone else had my problem as well, it's not the server lagging, it's the game itself glitching with fps, all I saw when I played online was constant stuttering of fps.

Last edited:
Well I hope the super forms will be fix a little. I stated on the suggestion thread that super forms should glow in dark areas just to be logic.

Is that a new Tails sprite in the OP? I haven't seen his vanilla sprites for a while and from what I know, Iceman hasn't posted any progress on his besides that one picture.

Nope, it's just Tails' existing spring up back sprite, which has existed since forever. You people probably haven't used springs as Tails enough I take it. B)

I've played as Tails before, but not in a very long time. I guess Iceman is trying to keep his Tails a secret or will start working on it when FuckingSonic is done. Anyway, let's not get off track.

Well I hope the super forms will be fix a little. I stated on the suggestion thread that super forms should glow in dark areas just to be logic.
I know we've been over this on IRC, but I guess we've forgotten to mention it on the forums: match super forms are headed to the scrap yard.

There are a bunch of reasons why, but the most important one is that match supers are the worst kind of win-more mechanic. The player who is already winning is the only person who ever gets to experience the mechanic, and it just makes them even more completely unstoppable.

In case you all haven't noticed, one of the things we're actively trying to do to match is make it less harsh on the losers. 2.1's pity shield mechanic is the first step towards that, but we're going to be continuing to push for less mechanics that actively punish the losing players. Super forms are actively going against that policy.

Hence, since we're planning to delete them, we're not planning any changes to them.

Speaking of Supers, how's about giving Knuckles his original super abilities? I mean, I understand the the skin flag SF_SUPER allows the player to still use Super Sonic's Float ability while pressing spin in midair, but to keep it consistent and fair, Knuckles has a gimped jump, is the second fastest of the trio, and has harder pathways because of his gimped jump. He COULD deserve a super after dealing with most of the threats, including himself. I don't even wanna talk about super Tails mostly because he technically require SUPER emeralds, and i don't think the Dev team can fit 7 more stages and 7 more emerald slots to make Tails fly longer, go faster, and have flickies of death floating around him...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back