View Single Post
Old 02-14-2011   #10
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritCrusher View Post
In retrospect, I should not have included KOTE's votes, but otherwise, I think counting everything before my post was just the right thing. Otherwise, I would have ignored perfectly fine scores and opinion. Sure, it's probably not going to happen with two weeks time, but I'm not quite content with retroactively imposing the new rule. Absolutely nobody would have been hurt if the scores would have been included (except the people who are not winners but wouldn't have been otherwise, but that applies the other way round too).
I retroactively applied it because technically the rules always stated it that way, it's just never been ENFORCED that way and in this case it really mattered when determining the results. The topic always said "Judging will end January 8th at midnight GMT (January 7th, 7:00 PM EST). The scores will be then averaged, and the person with the highest score is the winner." If you average it at that time, the results are what we posted. I'd much rather that than KOTE determining he liked my map better and intentionally breaking the results =P

Quote:
The first person to make a tally includes all the votes he saw. If somebody posted in the meantime, tough luck. Then again, that might be prone to manipulation because anybody could do it.
The whole point of changing the rules like this is so there is never any question again. Whatever the math says is the result. I am tired of counting hanging chads.

Quote:
That happened? Well anyway, as I said nobody would be able to vote once somebody has posted the results.
KOTE just did it =P

Quote:
Still, what about the "no netgame" thing? Would you be allowed to grade a map if you didn't get the chance to play it online?
Absolutely not. I understand there were a lack of netgames for this contest, but part of that is because I wasn't around for the contest this time and part of it is a clear lack of interest from the rest of the community. I know this may be annoying, but SOMEONE needs to set up a game so you can play these in an actual game, because we shouldn't be voting based on looks, we should be voting on how they actually PLAY, and while it's possible to determine half of that without actually playing it in a game proper, I know full well that it's basically impossible to know exactly what the choke points and heavy traffic areas will be without actually trying it, and that makes a HUGE amount of difference in the quality of the map.