View Single Post
Old 05-09-2010   #22
Fawfulfan
The Tortured Planet guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
I'd also like to remind you all that by definition, the average score for the contest should be exactly 5. The contests aren't getting worse; there are more voters and they are becoming better critics.

For everyone's reference, Egg Palace has inflated scores because at the time it was one of the largest and most detailed SRB2 stages made. Obviously nowadays we know better, but most people gave it rather significantly high numbers because of that, myself included. In hindsight it's certainly not a 10, but at the time the concept of a single player stage you couldn't beat in a minute or two was a big deal.
You know, I'd say that pretty much sums it up. I was being a little harsh on it above...Egg Palace certainly isn't bad. I just agree with SpiritCrusher (and you, come to think of it) that in retrospect it isn't worth a 10.

It makes me wish that I'd done Tortured Planet back in 2007 or 2008, back when people didn't know better. Probably it would have been almost as popular as Mystic Realm. But then again, Tortured Planet utilizes a lot of gimmicks that didn't exist in 1.08 or 1.09X...and it's still not even close to being as good as Mystic Realm. Besides all that, I didn't even discover SRB2 until mid-2008, and I took about 2 years to get somewhat competent at level design.

So...yeah.

Last edited by Fawfulfan; 05-09-2010 at 11:10 AM.