Suggestions

I have some pretty minor level design suggestions:

In Arid Canyon the camera gets sometimes stuck in the ropes. I think making them intangible would fix it.
srb20007.png

The end part of Black Hole: I'd suggest making that green sector not damage, or make it red.
srb20008.png

In Egg Rock Zone 2 there's a cave that needs more textures in my opinion. It would make the cave part more clear. That kind of texture alone is pretty confusing and it's hard to see properly where to go.
srb20010.png

The teleportings in Pipe Towers could be more invisible. I didn't know how to explain it, so I remade the teleport in Zone Builder to show what I mean. More invisible could be just some more playing with teleport destination point, which isn't enough, I think. That's why the GIF is here with the "silent relative" teleport.
srb20023.gif

I can upload it if there's need for that. Also, it would be easy to do it for the other very visible teleport too.

Last edited:
For 2.2, could the "-colour-Wall" and "-colour-Flr" textures and flats be removed from srb2.srb? Oh, and after removing them, could we get "PaletXXX" textures and flats, where XXX is a number from 000 to 255, and the number in every texture/flat corresponds to, well, the palette index the entire texture/flat is coloured?

Actually, couldn't we have it so flat/textures can just be like #0080FF to get that color, or the closest possible color as a flat/texture? It could potentially work better than Adding 256 new flats/textures, and the method is already used for translucent FOFs... which might pose compatibility issues, I don't know.

...Actually, why not enable color translation for flats/textures, to be potentially changed with sector/linedef flags? I mean, this could be used for examples such as SFLR07, Yellow/Brown Plantlife, Old Special Stage Textures, and other textures that happen to be green originally.

What i really want is the ability for knuckles to hit the other players as he is glide like in thonkker. It'll be a nice gimmick

A gamemode similar to Match but instead of throwing rings, You'll be rolling, jumping and thokking/flying/gliding into each other. if you jump/roll into someone in their spinning frames they won't do damage, instead you will bounce off each other like a bouncy ball. If you hit someone, you will get 5 - 10 points but if you get hit you loose 5 points. It will also have a team variant as well. but (obviously) won't do damage to your team mates, just the opposite team you are against. it would make a change from all the ring-slinging gamemodes we currently have. When Tails flies, he will still pick you up and gives a half a second to react.

Last edited:
I'd like to see varouis game modes in vanilla such as:
- turf war (pretty much like monster psychic cat's spheres)
- 3 flag domination
- contact match with a player as supersonic, similar to supervirus

Since we are all on the topic of gamemodes anyway... how about a competitive collect the chaos emeralds gametype? The seven chaos emeralds are spread around the map, and if a team manages to get their collective hands on them, they gain a point, and then the emeralds are spread around the map, to be collected once again.

Since we are all on the topic of gamemodes anyway... how about a competitive collect the chaos emeralds gametype? The seven chaos emeralds are spread around the map, and if a team manages to get their collective hands on them, they gain a point, and then the emeralds are spread around the map, to be collected once again.

So basically a team version of Emerald Hunt with a time limit and infinite emeralds?

More like Capture the Flag with multiple randomly spawning flags. Because that wouldn't be confusing at all

More like Capture the Flag with multiple randomly spawning flags. Because that wouldn't be confusing at all
...That's the gametype of either Hardpoint, or Domination, not sure. Sorry to be a downer towards these gametypes, but when you water it down, it's a Sonic themed gametype from a FPS, minus Splatoon.

There needs to be some flag to make sector brightness ignore objects so we can discreetly light sloped surfaces to simulate directional light. Just something to enhance the depth so textures aren't the only spatial cue.

The only thing multiplayer I would actually play in the vanilla game is co-op, but end up playing it almost never since 80% of the time they're crappy roleplaying servers. I also play tag/hide & seek but people hardly play those. I would really like it if thokker was offical in 2.2.

Speaking of gametypes, I honestly feel that match and ctf need some tweaks, more specifically the ring weapon dropping system. Its a good idea on paper, don't get me wrong, it makes what would be a standard fps gametype and makes it more sonic like, but the execution is just awful. As someone who plays both of these gametypes an awful lot I have noticed that this issue makes both of these gametypes (especially match) extremely biased towards the more experienced players, and a complete nightmare for newer/less experienced players, because if your hit without a shield at close range(almost all sonic players) they will just instantly swipe most if not all of your weapons and you are left almost completely defenseless against your foes as a result. So if you want a fighting chance again that means you either have to A. Go up against that same player or another player to get some stuff back (which if your inexperienced is a lost cause) or B. Waste like almost a whole minute trying to get fresh weapons and hope some cheap fuck doesn't camp weapons or farm off you. The devs themselves have said that they want to make match and ctf less punishing for the beginners and actually give them a fighting chance (hence the pity shield and removal of super forms in 2.2), which is a huge step in the right direction, because if your getting your ass handed to you with almost no chance for recovery, how exactly is that any fun? tbh I still don't know why this hasn't been looked into before the pity shield and super form removal, because its still the most prominent and glaring issue out of all of them.

Ok so enough jibber jabber, what do I suppose would make these gametypes more welcoming and more fun for everyone? I idea I've had in my little o'l noggin for a while is when hit without a shield, you only drop the weapon you currently have equipped and your rings: that way your not left completely vulnerable and you still have a fighting chance; it will be more of a risk to try blindly swiping others weapons and you would need to be more creative with you strategies in order to steal their weapon(s) due to them being able to defend their stuff for the most part witch would make stealing weapons not be the main focus on match anymore; and finally it would make players put some actual thought into their battle strategies because if they're too reckless they may just loose their favorite weapon.

Also Sonic Tails, and Knuckles need some balancing out, because in the current state of match and other game types to an extent: Sonic's thok is stupidly overpowered, like seriously 60 actionspd! that's a bit overkill isn't it :/? All this this does is encourage players to spam it because it make's them really hard to hit and it allows them to move almost as fast as thrown rings. This is why I hope the moveset for fuckingsonic becomes official (which I won't explain in too much detail, cause spiolers) because instead of raping your jump button for instant speed, you have to either earn your speed or leave yourself vulnerable for a couple of seconds to fully charge up the spindash which is incredibly fun to unleash as him ^_^, overall fuckingsonic is easier for beginners to grasp, more balanced and more fun all at the same time which proves actual thought went into the making of his moveset unlike the current vanilla Sonic, because currently with the state of the thok Sonic is way faster than Knuckles and almost twice the speed of Tails. Speaking of Tails in terms of balance he's mostly fine, his only issue however is that when flying with him you move at a snails pace with no way to get that speed back in the air which makes him way to easy to hit with rails, that's why I hope Lat's flying code becomes official because it allows you to sacrifice height for speed and it's very faithful to his flight mechanics in Sonic 3 and Knuckles. Speaking of Knuckles his glide is way to slow, in Sonic 3 and Knuckles his glide was the same speed as his top running speed and his glide wasn't slowed down when in water when in this game it is for some odd reason, also to add to what MK said earlier I would love for Knuckles glide to be able to physically hurt his foes like he can in thoker, this would allow a slower more power driven character like Knuckles to defend himself better against a speed demon like Sonic and would act as a good counter for the thok.

Also on a side note, I think that when you have a weapon slot maxed out you shouldn't be able to still collect that weapon, this would make weapon camping that little bit less effective.

Anyways that's just my two cents, and I know if these balances were applied a lot the veteran match players would bitch and whine about it, but as someone who has been playing this game for a decade now, I truly believe these changes would make the game better in the long run.

Also Sonic Tails, and Knuckles need some balancing out, because in the current state of match and other game types to an extent: Sonic's thok is stupidly overpowered, like seriously 60 actionspd! that's a bit overkill isn't it :/?

I actually made something to test out to see if match would still be fun with the classic games' balancing (Sonic, Tails & Knuckles all having the same speed, Sonic having no double jump, a boosted mindash and lowered maxdash speed... etc.) and I tweaked it a bit so Sonic wasn't as boring to play as (He's still The Fastest Thing Alive™ in competitive gametypes in terms of running speed and has a higher maxdash). While in essence, yes it mainly alters normalspeed and such as the main focus for balance, it works (Though I haven't been able to test out the most recent edits due to not having my router port forwarded anymore) a bit better than what is in place currently. I've ranted about the balance before and nobody on the devteam is focused on that right now from what I've seen, Mystic himself has said that he'd sooner replace the thok with something even more overpowered if it meant the player understood it as soon as they picked it up.

In the 'circuit' wad, which is basically the race maps from 2.0, it has a tonk that is really weak.

If they put that in vanilla. No OP tonk. No unhappy community.

Also, If anyone has played the 'Project ringslinger' wad it has this nice feature, which is basically if you got hit and your loaded with weapon panels. The panels won't drop. (might be skylua but im not sure)

^^ This would really be a turn around to the more experienced players snatching all the inexperienced players weapon panel.

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 6, Members: 0, Guests: 6)

Back