[Open Assets] Bubsy the Bobcat (bubsy.wad)

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's me, Bubsy the Bobcat, and I know what you are thinking, how could this pawsibly be true? A purfect character being released for SRB2? Well it had to happen someday. And today is that day, beclaws I am here to...I actually don't know why I am here. The developer put me here and surely he must know what he is doing, right?!

My ability allows me to float, thanks to another developer named Rumia1 who made the lua for my wad and allowed public use. How convenient! But what's even more convenient is my ability to buy a shield! Collect 20 rings or more, and you could buy a pity shield with the custom 1 button! The stingy developer wants 20 rings in exchange for the shield though.

Beclaws of my fragile (yet purfect) skin, I die by one hit, so don't let any crawlas touch me, or don't make me fall off from a reaallly high place, ok! And I don't like baths, so keep me away from water (and tight spaces, I am clawstrophobic).

YbGwmls.gif

rEn8qpS.png

MD2 dat data: bubsy bubsy.md2 25.0 0.0
Notes: Bubsy CAN complete the main campaign, fully tested myself.

Attachments

• srb20339.png
    srb20339.png
    123 KB · Views: 2,610
  • srb20340.png
    srb20340.png
    18.7 KB · Views: 2,246
  • Bubsy.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 2,742
  • MD2.zip
    61.9 KB · Views: 1,567
Last edited:
My goodness... he's here and he's even more annoying than in Bubsy 3D

I am glad my script is finally getting some use with some good sprites to go along with it. Might I suggest changing Bubsy's pudpud sound effect in S_SKIN to either be silent by using an empty sound file (one of the various DSVICTR_ sounds would work), or a whoosh of air like in Bubsy 3D or Knuckles in Sonic Adventure? I would've done this in the original script but I didn't know how to change specific skin sounds in lua without just flat out replacing the default sound for every skin.

Bubsy's sprites also seem to lack spinning frames, hanging frames, and running frames (which all use his falling animations instead) which is odd because you'd think that you could use the animations from the MD2 model and import them as sprite frames... also, the MD2 uses the hurt animation for the hanging animation for some reason?

By the way, you don't need to keep the skin modifying bits in the main Lua loop, the only reason I did that was to keep Tails' tails from spinning so that it wouldn't break the feeling that it was sort of Bubsy, if he has his own sprites he should be able to reach his runspeed.

EDIT: Can I also suggest changing his gliding animation sprites so that instead of bobbing up and down he does this?
tJC4qVQ.png

Edit2: Aww, you got rid of the thing that kills him in match...

EDITGOODNESSGRACIOUSHOWMANYAREWEGONNAHAVEHEREMYGOSH: You should also make it so Bubsy has a chance of survival on stages that start him out underwater by giving him an elemental shield when he starts the level or when he starts from a checkpoint

EDITEDAGAIN: I just noticed Bubsy can't drown as long as he has any shield, while this certainly lowers the difficulty quite a bit, it doesn't mesh well mechanically with the other characters. If you're going to make it so he can breathe underwater with any shield anyway, make it so he gets an elemental shield no matter what.

Last edited:
seriously the bobcat that everyone thought that was going to be the third character of sonic forces

I'm disappointed it doesn't force tank controls on you

Having the visual representation of 3D's Bubsy throws me off a lot because I expect to have no fall damage and be able to swim under certain criteria (start a level in water so I guess only Azure Temple would work), along being able to throw atoms (or I guess rings in this case) when going next to them while holding a button, also the acceleration is not weird at all and getting hit doesn't get you stuned for about 3 seconds while the camera pans to face Bubsy.
Bubsy never says GIMME GIMME GIMME when grabbing rings/atoms, only when grabbing rocket pieces/extra lives.

This is a really weird amalgamation of both playstyles from 2D and 3D Bubsy, but mostly borrowed from 2D and I hate it for that.

Overall I give it a solid 9/11

BTW I WAS TOTALLY INTENDING TO DO SOMETHING LIKE THIS BACK WHEN THOKKER WAS STILL HOT BUT NEVER GOT AROUND TO AAA
TVjRmdz.png
7EbQRZN.png

nSrycNQ.png

EDIT: what, no ledge grab? :c

Last edited:
i'm disappointed it doesn't force tank controls on you

having the visual representation of 3d's bubsy throws me off a lot because i expect to have no fall damage and be able to swim under certain criteria (start a level in water so i guess only azure temple would work), along being able to throw atoms (or i guess rings in this case) when going next to them while holding a button, also the acceleration is not weird at all and getting hit doesn't get you stuned for about 3 seconds while the camera pans to face bubsy.
Bubsy never says gimme gimme gimme when grabbing rings/atoms, only when grabbing rocket pieces/extra lives.

This is a really weird amalgamation of both playstyles from 2d and 3d bubsy, but mostly borrowed from 2d and i hate it for that.

Overall i give it a solid 9/11

btw i was totally intending to do something like this back when thokker was still hot but never got around to aaa
tvjrmdz.png
7ebqrzn.png

nsrycnq.png

holy mctitty sprinkles!! When will this be released?!

---------- Post added at 07:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:20 PM ----------

Hey, I noticed a bug
Super Bubsy can still die from falling. That should be fixed

One more suggestion, I know it's hard to add different expressions on MD2 models without copying the model of the character's head for each frame, but you should use the other expression textures for the sprites. For example, Bubsy shouldn't just lifelessly stare blankly at you when you die or get hit. You gotta match that trademark purrsonality he has with his voice clips by making him squint or something, make it look like he's actually in pain. He's a very emotive and downright expurressive feline in the games!

Last edited:
Ok, reply time:

@Rumia1: glad that the script exists in the first place :P

Sure, I'll change the sound.

Spinning frames are being done, but hanging / running aren't needed. Hanging and hurt are pretty much the exact same thing, so no point in adding adding hanging when hurt does just fine. Running, well, Bubsy only walks, so no point in that :P

Well yeah, but I never wanted Bubsy to run in the first place. I wanted to keep that wacky movement for all ground movement.

Yeah, the gliding frames will also be updated.

Yeah I made him more playable in match by request.

I'm not sure how to automatically give him a shield from start if he is underwater, not that good of a luaist.

I'll look into the shields matter, though I don't see it as a big inconsistent factor compared to other characters. He just breaths when he is in a shield. Others don't unless its elemental.

@SF345: He is going to be in Sonic Forces, and when the game comes out I'm going to prove it.

@VAdaPEGA: I'm not that great of a luaist, but tank controls would be cool to have :P

Yeah this Bubsy is more of a mix while focusing more on his gamestyle from his 2D days. I never said its exactly from 3D, that's like saying the Shadow wad speedwagon is bad because it has chaos control that can teleport you, but SA2 didn't have that :o

Cool sprites (though they have minor issues), I say continue them :o I just made this for the heck of it, if you want to make an actual bubsy wad with sprited sprites go ahead :P

Also, um
2g7fwMf.png
Cool map.

@GreenKnight: That's not a bug, its intentional.

@Rumia1 again:
hiGr6xj.png

Oh alright, though I'll have to make custom textures, because the only textures that I have are of him smiling, him being worried, and this face.

The updates will come sometime next week, as I am busy with work to do it this week.

For the run animations, you could do what you did with the MD2's run animations and simply shorten the walk cycle animation. The only reason why I think he should have a run animation is, because of how SRB2's animations work, the walk cycle animation won't speed up any further after a certain point but the run animations speed up with the player's speed and it feels a bit awkward that it doesn't change with his movement speed.

I am working on an updated script for him that is much shorter and more optimised for him if you'd like to try it out.

Also protip: for frames that are supposed to be the same from every angle, rather than making all the rotations for them, just use 0 in place of the rotation number i.e. BUBSB0 and BUBSC0, this also makes it so the frames don't flip when you rotate around them.

Last edited:
This is such an amazing mod that it gave me tears of joy.
(but for real, it is a PURRetty fun wad to play, but one thing is that it needs a version that uses SNES/Genesis sprites) I give it 8.9/10 if i had to be serious.

So what can PAWssibly go wrong?

I love this. He's so accurate to the actual Bubsy games. And he never shuts up! Wonderful!
All jokes aside, thank you for including an MD2 for those of us that use OpenGL.

Finally, someone that has even more voice clips than Lat's Silver! I'll definitely give it a try, sometime. Nice work!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back