Yet Another 2.1 Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
More icy tunes is what I'd like to see (or hear). Nothing in the existing soundtract needs removing, maybe a revamp in tunes or something like that.

All those empty tunes slots should be filled...most that are are isolated from others and are hard to find...I think it has association with the map selection, but still.

Listen to things like Green Flower Zone 1 and Super Theme. They're just outdated and badly composed by current standards
What're you talking about? They're fairly catchy, sound right and are structurally good enough. Unless you meant current-current standards, in which a "good" song repeats the same pattern and lyrics over and over.

not to mention the instruments are also terrible in places sometimes for a Sonic game. Really, is the first map of the game using... a clarinet?
It fits. GFZ is meant to be a peaceful meadow, so why not? Is Sonic defined by guitars and brass? Of course not. Heck, some songs could even have a jaw harp, so long as it fits.

The issue is that Green Flower doesn't even manage to sound peaceful, its just flat out boring and gets annoying to hear over time, and doesn't fit the pace of the game-play. 'Catchy' has nothing to do with being a good song, catchy is just a way of getting a song to stick in your head for an extended period no matter what the quality of it is; if catchy and repetition alone were a good thing, then Sonic 4's soundtrack would be a masterpiece.

The super theme is the most mellow and repetitive ear assault I've ever heard, coming much closer to Sonic & Knuckles' invincibility theme than anything in the contest of most irritating tiny jingles. Yeah its pretty hard to be mellow and at the same time assault one's ears, but it manages to by being being the least dynamic song in the game, while also being one of the shortest; and to add onto that you're forced to listen to it for a minimum of fifty seconds, nearly a minute. A super theme should be suited for 50 seconds or higher. A short jingle is made to be used for a short period, what we have now is like listening to the starman theme ring for two hours. This is one of those areas where SRB2 didn't need to mimic the classics when it could do better, just because they had tiny jingles that were remixes of the title screen's tune doesn't mean it needs to do the same.

I never said Sonic had to be defined by guitars and brass or even implied it, other instruments can be put to great use or at the very least sound high quality. I've even heard Sonic games commonly using things like violins in the instrumentation.

It's not like the development team doesn't realize this though. I'm sure the issue is that they have no willing members to compose new music for them, which is the bigger problem. Then again there's tons of willing Sonic fans all over places like YouTube and SonicRetro (here it comes :D) with tons of talent that could be put to use on the team if they just searched out for them. So eh, I don't even know.

Last edited:
It fits. GFZ is meant to be a peaceful meadow, so why not? Is Sonic defined by guitars and brass? Of course not. Heck, some songs could even have a jaw harp, so long as it fits.
Should note that the use of the clarient is bad, not merely the fact that it's there.

In my opinion, the melodies of all the songs are at least okay, but the instrumentation of a lot of the tracks is quite outdated. Not that I've ever really cared about SRB2's soundtrack, but just saying.

The super theme is the most mellow and repetitive ear assault I've ever heard, coming much closer to Sonic & Knuckles' invincibility theme than anything in the contest of most irritating tiny jingles. Yeah its pretty hard to be mellow and at the same time assault one's ears, but it manages to by being being the least dynamic song in the game, while also being one of the shortest; and to add onto that you're forced to listen to it for a minimum of fifty seconds, nearly a minute. A super theme should be suited for 50 seconds or higher. A short jingle is made to be used for a short period, what we have now is like listening to the starman theme ring for two hours.

...But son, almost every sonic game ever has a horrible super theme. Sonic Colors' one is recent and THAT is shorter. But it sounds good. The SRB2 one sounds epic and with the correct instruments for a revamp, it could be legendary. :I

...But son, almost every sonic game ever has a horrible super theme.

Okay, so whatever all the other Sonic games have, Srb2 must have too. I thought our goal was to make Srb2 stand out from all the other Sonic games. Is that not why we like Srb2 so much? Because it's unique.

I don't think any of the tunes should be replaced. What they should do it organize the tunes, and make a couple more remixes. Nostalgia will always play a big part here, but sometimes it's better to make a change. Personally, we should not do anything to the tunes yet...

Just more organization and remixes. Other then that, everything should stay the same, but I can't speak for everyone here.

The super theme is the most mellow and repetitive ear assault I've ever heard, coming much closer to Sonic & Knuckles' invincibility theme than anything in the contest of most irritating tiny jingles.

I could never squeeze a Super Sonic theme out of our composers, so at the last minute I threw one together, using the title screen MIDI as a base.

Arrow did end up having an unfinished MIDI, which you can have assault your ears here: http://ssntails.srb2.org/SuperSonic.mid

...But son, almost every sonic game ever has a horrible super theme. Sonic Colors' one is recent and THAT is shorter. But it sounds good. The SRB2 one sounds epic and with the correct instruments for a revamp, it could be legendary. :I

That sounds like you may just be blinded by nostalgia and you didn't read the end of my second paragraph. But I'd rather not discuss this further anyways.

SSN: You mean that didn't originate from SRB2SBAHJ? Oh Lord it sounds even worse here. :V

Last edited:
You're credited in it, and you didn't even have to do anything!

Very surprisingly, popping SRB2SBAHJ into YouTube gave me my answer. I remember it, but I never tried it. Maybe I should.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back