Sonic Surge Demo 3

Shiron

UPDATE: Demo 3: Vast Desert Zone has been added! Also, there are 7 chaos emeralds hidden throughout the levels. You'll unlock a secret if you find them all!

Hey! This is my latest attempt at a level pack for SRB2. Various projects under the name Sonic Surge have been started by me, but hopefully this version sticks and I can make a full fledged pack in due time.

Changelist:
Only contained Mud Splash Zone.
-Added Lost Temple Zone
-Slight tweaks to Mud Splash Zone (including changing the emerald token position)
-Custom Music (from other sonic games)
-Added Vast Desert Zone
-LTZ has been extended and tweaked
-MSZ has been slightly retextured, and a new shortcut has been added between the two main paths. The end of the level has been slightly extended
-Unlockables (Level Select + a secret level!)
Of course, any sort of feedback is greatly appreciated. If there are any errors, glitches, or especially if you have gripes with this pack, let me know!

Mirrors:
Demo 1:http://www.mediafire.com/file/h9av6b33j4el8sy/scr_sonicsurge-d1.rar
Demo 2: https://www.mediafire.com/file/7e4xskb35cbs1wt/scr_sonicsurge-d2.rar
Demo 3: https://www.mediafire.com/file/z8zcl7kszsakbsx/scr_sonicsurge-d3.rar

I used the SRB2 asset pack for some textures and flats: https://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=35544

Attachments

• srb20018.jpg
    srb20018.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 1,932
  • srb20024.jpg
    srb20024.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 1,635
  • srb20042.jpg
    srb20042.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 1,501
  • scr_sonicsurge-d3.rar
    16.2 MB · Views: 1,432
Last edited:
Just finished playing it and I gotta say, I really like it. I like the texture choices and the overall design of the level. It was fun! Really like the use of slopes in this level as well.

It seems there's a mistake I missed before releasing this: there's a 1-up monitor before the inside-tree path that's just sort of there. I originally planned it to be hidden by the wooden post the robo-hood is standing on but I guess I somehow misplaced it. That'll be fixed before the next update

Also the tree path itself seems really bland and rushed compared to everything else in the map, so I'll be heavily changing it in general.

Again, if anyone finds any bugs or has something to say about the map in general, please let me know!

Last edited:
New update! I just finished Lost Temple Zone and decided to release another demo. Tell me what you think!

Why are there four maps included when only two of them are done? Heck, Vast Desert Zone is barely even started from what I could see.

That said, I did enjoy the levels that are completable. Nice work on those.

New Update! The single player rotation now has 3 complete levels, along with chaos emeralds hidden throughout them. Zones 1 and 2 have 2 emeralds each, and Zone 3 has 3 emeralds. Find them all for a secret!

I hear thok sound whenever I get a life.
And I can't select levels of this pack from save. Vanilla levels minus the Greenflower Zone are available instead.

Last edited:
I talked about the thok sound problem on discord, and it turns out I need to assign an actual 1-up sound to it. I'll probably just switch it back to playing music when you get a 1-up lol

As for the save level select problem, I wasn't aware of that. I'll get right to fixin' it

For those who aren't on Discord, I might as well share what I've been doing for this pack during the past few months.

UouCbjz.png

Vast Desert is receiving somewhat of an overhaul. The intro has been extended, and now takes place outside to give the player an accurate feel of where they're at.

Tsgh6pj.png

I've gotten better at making skyboxes, so by the time the next demo comes out all levels should have them.

Speaking of the next demo, I'm not sure when it'll come out or what will be in it. If I had to have a goal, I'd say all three acts (yes, three acts) of Lost Temple Zone should be done before I release the next big version.

I'm going to go with a traditional three-act structure for this pack, as opposed to how I originally planned to have each zone be totally different and just have a lot of zones. I plan to have 7 main zones, with each act being significantly unique to the other one, so it should really feel like 14 different areas the player traverses.

As for the third act of each zone, I'm honestly clueless as to what to do about bosses. The easy way out would be to use vanilla bosses and try to have unique arenas to make them feel different, but again that would just be the easy way out. I'd like to have totally custom bosses for this pack, but that'd have to be way on down the road as I have zero experience in the soc/lua world.

Wow, must've missed this level pack, going to try it and maybe come back later with my thoughts on it, also those new screenshots look great :)

CyQXQtK.png

I know it's been about a year since I last posted about this here, but I'm still steadily working on this pack! I wanna keep some things a surprise for the next release, but here's what to expect:

-Changes to the already existing levels to be less confusing, less cluttered, and actually fun to play :p
-Visual overhaul on the existing levels
-Lost Temple Zone will have all three acts finished

Once Lost Temple Zone is finished, I'll release the next update. I'm working on levels besides the ones already shown/released, but they will probably be in no shape to release by the time LTZ is finished.

Can you believe it's already been over 2 years since this level pack saw it's first release? Time flies!

The next big update of this pack is nearing, and while it's not quite complete yet, I want to give you all a peek at what to expect.

QBDCaC4.png

Lost Temple Zone 1 has been overhauled both visually and gameplay-wise. There are tons of more branching paths that overlap each other and are filled with fun things to find and mess around with.

FuEWYC1.png

Lost Temple Zone 2 has finally been started. As with every zone in this pack, this act is completely different than the one before it. I don't want to spoil too much but the gimmicks introduced in act 1 will be applied, expanded upon, and used for action-packed gameplay in this act.

That's all I want to show now, but you can play the real thing very soon! I promise~

I played the demo you sent on Discord a while ago and it was a phenomenal experience! I'm looking forward to seeing how you go about your expansion in act 2.

Really digging the sheer amount of texture detail and variety, as well as the colour scheming in general. Blue and Green is a colour combo I wish we saw more often with this level of quality!

Also nice use of slopes so far, they seem like they're gonna be real fun to interact with in game!

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back