[Open Assets] SRB2 - Community Build! - Full color Edition! (PNG)

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing is, some people actually prefer software mode in SRB2 over OpenGL. And there's at least 50% (if not 75%) of them who do.

gl_filtermode nearest? Can't you replicate the look of software accurately within OpenGL with that simple command?

That, and whose to say that statistic is any more accurate than any others? I'm not saying you're wrong or anything, don't take it personally, it's just that I don't understand where that number came from. Does that represent everyone?

Then why doesn't the team just go OGL-exclusive? There's literally nothing positive to say about software mode anymore after seeing this mod (And XSRB2).

I think they had some reason behind it, but honestly I can't remember anymore, and it's probably been overshadowed by the work Kalaron has done anyways. I dunno, really.

Last edited:
Oh wow, I thought I heard that it wasn't possible to fix that billboarding effect, which is why I use software mode in the first place. If that DOES get fixed, then I might actually agree with Iceman on Software being useless.

gl_filtermode nearest? Can't you replicate the look of software accurately within OpenGL with that simple command?

I know about that command, and I use it too. The only reason I used software mode in the first place is because of that billboarding effect in OpenGL that I just mentioned.

The thing is, some people actually prefer software mode in SRB2 over OpenGL. And there's at least 50% (if not 75%) of them who do..
I just liked Software better only because OpenGL was broky. But since Kalaron has fixed it, the only thing Software has over OpenGL is the colormap rendering. :P

Funny enough, the Paper Mario thing never bothered me.

By the way, OpenGL windowed mode doesn't work unless I use a resolution that's bigger than my screen. Support for 640x400 window please? :x

Well, the number one reason why people prefer Software is because OpenGL is not finished. This mod brings it a whole lot closer.

Well, the number one reason why people prefer Software is because OpenGL is not finished. This mod brings it a whole lot closer.
Only closer? All we literally need now is the fixed billboard effect man! :P
(And fog blocks, I guess?)

Impossible to do properly is the key word. An excellent effort here at making ZDoom-like slopes, but if you want to go full monty you're going to hit a wall real fast. If we added them to SRB2, we wanted them to be done properly...which involves rewriting nearly everything.

What defines "properly" anyways? We're not necessarily looking for slope based gameplay. These slopes alone will serve a great use in assisting level designers aesthetically, and really, that's all I was hoping for. You know, simple things like being able to make clean sloped hills without dozens of little cliffs, or houses with slanted roofs, or beaches where the water rises gently up and down the shoreline. Well these may not be "proper" in the Sonic Adventure sense of the word, they are pretty fine for SRB2.

Of course, there's the OpenGL issue, but from what I read, I got the impression that that argument is beginning to grow rusty.

May I ask why I can't launch it in software mode? My computer isn't exactly a powerhouse and 5 fps in ogl mode is not cool :(

By the way, OpenGL windowed mode doesn't work unless I use a resolution that's bigger than my screen. Support for 640x400 window please? :x

Launch SRB2CB:
Code:
srb2cb.exe -win
Open Console and type in:
Code:
vid_mode <number>
Replace <number> with 1, 2, 3, 4... until you find a resolution that best fits.

Boohoo, Paper Mario effect! :(
o____O'

Use MD2 models.

"Mult-character MD2's"
ITS ABOUT TIME!
*cough*
screen1ak.png

It's particularly amazing to me how everyone who has dealt with models have continued to ignore the fact and method by which multiple player models, to a limited degree, have been possible since SRB2 based itself on the DooM Legacy engine.

That said, have you worked out wadded textures yet for your multiple MD2 system, Kalaron?

"Mult-character MD2's"
ITS ABOUT TIME!
hehe...

d0zsy.png

But, still, speaking of MD2s possibilities. Another day, in the first CB alpha builds, I faced what Prime meant by "when a model doesn't have a texture for it in the MD2 folder, that SRB2 will use the in-game sprite as its texture instead", in other words, it's possible the engine to search a texture for a MD2 and replace the texture with another texture every tic. I saw this happening when I started up SRB2CB with MD2 shields.

Guys, the thing with the billboard effect is the following: The only reason Software doesn't have it is because you can't even look that far up/down. I'd rather have the billboard effect than being restricted in my view.

EDIT: Also, bug report. The Bubble Shield is so epic that you can use it to bounce off death pits. I think that's a bit too epic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back